myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Shark bites Kanaha Kiter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ibtimes.com/how-many-shark-attacks-are-there-each-year-where-do-they-occur-1346843

according to this 2012 attacks were 80, 2011 78::

tried to find a statistic for Human biting human, but none came ...

certain it would be in the thousands worldwide each year

what keycocker said above !!

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel much safer in the water than on the highway.
summertime

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info u2 and keycocker. interesting. the recent attacks have changed my decisions a bit in regards to where and when and what i do in the water. staying closer to other people vs wandering far off alone on a sup, swimming in the water way closer to shore in water too shallow for a big shark, the one windsurf day i got in so far- rigged big for more assurance i could water start fast and get in if the wind died. if the frequency of attacks in maui goes back to the old norm - i'll be more comfortable. but the numbers have gone up so dramatically the last couple yrs.- something is up.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taken from the article U2^3 linked to:

"There have been just 152 reported fatalities since records began in 1580. By comparison, there have been twice as many deaths from alligators in the U.S. than by sharks. Man's best friend is even more deadly. Dogs are responsible for more than 200 human fatalities in the last decade alone, while the everyday bee kills an average of 500 people worldwide annually."

Forget sharks, I personally don't like dogs, and there is good reason for that as the statistic in that article shows. (I was attacked by the neighbors' "friendly" dog as a young person, and no, I didn't provoke the dog, I was just trying to walk home from the school bus.)
milldo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to the new Hawaii Shark Tracking project website:

http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/pacioos/projects/sharks/

Several of these sharks appear to enjoy hanging out around Maui as much as windsurfers do - especially the Kihei area. I'm not pointing fingers, but Shark 133371 was visiting the north shore of Maui that week - however apparently not on the day of the incident Oct. 31st.
cbknap

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That tiger shark tracking site is fairly chilling. And that just shows the ones they tagged. Fairly clear that any time they want to give us a bite, they can.

Sail fast!
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can't see in the water but the divers can.
They say there are nearly always sharks under us while we sail.

I hope the recent increase is just the clustering effect you always get with random data. If you look at completely random data it looks like groups.
Three shark bites in one week ,then none for three years equals an average of one a year.
scottwerden

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitevan01 wrote:

Forget sharks, I personally don't like dogs, and there is good reason for that as the statistic in that article shows. (I was attacked by the neighbors' "friendly" dog as a young person, and no, I didn't provoke the dog, I was just trying to walk home from the school bus.)

No alligators in Maui, so not worried about those. Dogs - you might be right given the popularity of pit bulls, but at least you can see them coming and can whack it with something. Sharks - you have no idea where they are lurking. And you are in their medium where they have the distinct advantage. Bees - ah no, don't think I am worried. Jelly fish, yes. Bees, no.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree that you can't see sharks or jelly fish coming.

but, let's see - over 200 human fatalities in last 10 years due to dogs, 152 reported human fatalities in last 433 years due to sharks.

that means, 20 human deaths due to dogs per year, .35 human fatalities due to sharks per year.

having said that, I also agree that I'm more worried about sharks. at least I can steer clear of dogs and the humans that they pull around.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

summertime wrote:
does anyone know how long he was in the water (down- not kiting)? i heard sharks watch their prey awhile- so if u are only down a short time hou're ok. they aren't toing to bite u right away. ( typos) . that 2nd maui article is no longer avail. site says. title something about kiter eanting to warn people. thats suspicious. what did it say?

The article can be found in Google cache.

The disturbing thing is what this guy states about the moment of the attack:

"I just saw the top of his head," said Christian, estimating the shark's head at 16 inches wide. "The most frightening thing was (that) this was happening during a turn, and I only stand still for a second, so he took advantage of this one or two seconds I was in the fixed position."

- See more at: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ziKhYFYQ4twJ:mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/578521/Shark-victim-wants--to-warn-other-people-.html%3Fnav%3D5161+mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/578521/Shark-victim-wants--to-warn-other-people-.html%3Fnav%3D5161&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us#sthash.q9hCIIa6.dpuf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: