myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Friday in CT / RI
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpeter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Friday in CT / RI Reply with quote

Might get out friday. I live in eastern CT but have sailed the cape exclusively for the last 25 years (kalmus/mayflower/chapin/corp). I keep my gear in CT right now so want to go somewhere closer. Wanted to try Matunick some time but the forecast right now (25-30 gusts 40kts) might be more than I want to deal with there. I sailed at Misquamicut years ago and remember the shorebreak was tough. Hammonasset ? West side Buzzards bay ? Newport ? All new to me.
Anyone shooting for friday ?

JP
braden

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to avoid waves -- not clear from your post -- ninigret pond is closest to you (east beach road). I will be at sabin point east providence but probably not till the afternoon. Other possiblities include somerset MA (between power plant and the braga bridge), fogland in tiverton, conimicut point warwick, eaton beach newport, and others.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammonassett is dead onshore in a southweasterly, with bad shorebreak especially at high tide. If the wind is ssw or wsw it works well so it might be good on Friday if the wind is ssw. Waves can get over head high on real windy days there.East wharf, west wharf and the surf club in Madison all work, and offer easier an launch. Last Saturday, a small group, 6-8 sailed at the surf club. Shorebreak was not bad despite the strong and gusty winds, 20 to near 40. In Stonington there is Barn Island which I am told is a great flat water spot for strong sothwesterlies. I am considering going there on Friday.

In old Saybrook there is the town beach and Harvey's beach which are best at high tide for windsurfing. At low tide the water gets shallow with sandbars and there is alot of whitewater and mushy waves.

JP how far east are you? I'm sure lots of people are planning to sail somewhere near.
jpeter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: RE Reply with quote

I don't bother windsurfing on flat water at all. If it's blowing SW at 20-30 I would be ok with trying to sail matunick, having never sailed there. Is there a wave break there off the beach at all ? I just know that down the coast toward misquamicut is just waves crashing on the beach, not a good launch. For reference, 35 knot NE winds at Bayview or Mayflower on the cape is within my comfort level.

JP
jpeter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: CT Reply with quote

Slinky, Im near Colchester, so Madison to RI is good. I would even drive to horseneck in BB. I would like to try Hamonasset some time, will look for the surf club. Where exactly is it ?

JP
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP, if you are looking for waves, as in surfable waves Matunuk is the place! World class point break that is side on in a southwesterly. Lots of surfers here and on windy days I am sure you'll find someone else windsurfing.

Only drawback, the "beach" however is mostly smooth , somewhat slippery rocks, and the break is on rubble and there are some boulders one must watch out for. If you are a good wavesailor you would probably love this spot. Probably no more dangerous than sailing a break over coral reef.

Madison Surf club: From rt.1 head south on West Wharf rd. to the stop sign. Turn right on surf club road and follow it to the end. Only sailable off season. Town residence only memorial day to labor day.

Hammonassett is one of a few places that is good in a northwesterly, side shore with good steep ramps for jumps, but no real big waves. It's getting a little late in the season but we may see a few more before it gets too cold.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearbye Matunick is Georges beach, surrounded by a breakwater which keeps the swell manageable. Strong Southwesterlies produces some really fun rollers to ride in and jump off going out.

The beach is friendly (no slippery rocks, all sand).

If Matunick is too much, George's will give you a great ride in strong Southwesterlies.

DC
bates

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice above. Hope you all get it Friday/this weekend. Just know I'm making the sacrifice for you all.

side note: Matunuck is spelled with a u not an i (as far as I know)
DrWind

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure why, but Ocean Beach Park in New London never gets mentioned as a place to windsurf. Looking at the charts it seems ideal with sideshore conditions on a southwest wind.

I was originally planning on sailing there this past Saturday, but ended up at Barn Island as I had some things to pick up from my parents house in Mystic.

Lars
DrWind

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note on Hammonassett, there are some tidal rips near the jetty, which can be fun to play in can be some large surfable standing waves, just beware the current can very strong around the point and suck you past the point if you are not aware. Shouldn't be an issue with the wind forecast, however.

Key is to catch it with an incoming tide. High tide is at 9:50 AM
Wind direction is going to be SSW in the morning, so launching from Meig's Pt is possible to the lee of the jetty.

Also, I have found that conditions at the East Beach Pavilion are manageable to get out through the shorebreak. There is a sandbank 100 feet or so from the shore which keeps most of the larger waves from breaking on the beach.

I tend to launch from the Pavilion as you can rig/derig on a nice covered deck which is great when it gets cold and nasty.

That said, may end up there Friday AM.....

Lars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: