myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Coast this weekend?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brettn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Coast this weekend? Reply with quote

Does anyone think this setup will make for a worthy trip to coast?

10/26Satgusts 20 kt in the afternoon w swell 4 ft at 11 seconds
10/26Sat night n wind 15 to 20 kt w swell 4 ft at 13 seconds
10/27Sun n wind 15 to 20 kt with occasional gusts 25 kt w swell 5 to 7 ft at 12 seconds with the largest swell over the outer waters
10/28 Mon ne wind 15 to 20 kt strongest in the coastal gaps w swell 6 ft

Or is it going to be too easterly? Or too foggy, or too something else.

Or is there a site that works better on these fall norths than other places. Seems like Manzanita (which is as far south as I'd prefer to drive from Bellingham) might be even shiftier than normal.

It looks to be almost as windy up in Ocean Shores, which faces more north than most of the Oregon beaches.
philodog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the MM5 pressure maps I don`t see a whole lot of wind except down at Gold Beach this weekend. For Manzanita, with the strong longshore current, I like a solid 20 for 4.7 to help get out. Unless it`s small I don`t want to be shlogging inside. 4@13 and 5-7@12 will be head high + on the sets.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/wxloop.cgi?mm5d2_e_slp+//72/3
brettn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not opposed to busting out the 109 and a 6.0 if it means being able to schlog into tasty waves. If the wind is a little offshore that will make for even better surf, but will there be any wind at all if it's blowing due north?

No amount of foam and mylar gets me out the impact zone in zero wind.

Also it seems like there's an abnormally long period in the swell right now. 13 seconds. So if I can get moving at all I can cover a lot of ground in 13 seconds. But being at a dead standstill with the set looming and the jaws theme playing in my head gets old.
philodog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m guessing a normal side on coast wind 10-15 at Manzanita. And that`s outside the break. Could be less inside, especially with the longshore. Doesn`t go sideshore there too often. Good luck and let us know how it was.
brettn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ocean shores had big confused surf on Sunday. On my first reach out i schlogged to a dead stop and got rolled. After about 10 waves to the head I got organized enough for a water start, but it was so dead i couldnt even fly the sail. Had to boogie board it in. Washed up 1/2 a mile south of the car. I did the nasty and pumped a 14-meter kite, which did the trick. For how much wind there was, half as much surf would have been better.
philodog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report, glad you got something at least. The graphs for Manzanita on S-S look pretty hideous. Looks like a nice offshore surfing day there today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: