myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
adding marks to mast for boom position
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willysp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: adding marks to mast for boom position Reply with quote

Hi all,
I want to add some marks to the mast so it is easy to know where to position the boom. I was thinking about painting some marks (or maybe add some stickers and then cover it with epoxy paint). Does anybody had done that? any idea about the type of paint I should use? I can imagine any clear epoxy paint can do the job. Maybe spray can? what about anything different than epoxy, like acrylic paint?
Thanks,
Willy
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a silver marker pen, it will be there forever.
willysp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nail polish glossy red did the job. FYI it was my wife's nail polish... Smile
Willy
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEARCH the forum for previous discussions on the same topic. Use < knotted boom > as your keywords, select "Search for all terms", enter isobars as author, select Post, hit Search, and ya got three such threads.

Mike \m/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: adding marks to mast for boom position Reply with quote

[quote="willysp"] I want to add some marks to the mast so it is easy to know where to position the boom. {/quote]

Mark your sail instead. A small dot with a sharpie in the luff sleeve cutout will do. Reasons this is better:

1. Using the mast with different sails will put multiple marks on the mast that you'll need to not confuse.
2. Using a different mast with the sail, you'll know where to put the boom.
3. If you make substantial downhaul setting changes for conditions, your "spot" wont move if marked on the sail.
4. It will train your eye to look for the boom in a particular spot for the sail, and you'll mentally develop a more refined picture of what the sail rigged the way you like it looks like, vs simply connecting points A and B from the boom and mast.

swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a marking reference (I have never used any myself), I think that Peconic Puffin's recommendation of making the sail is the way to go. One more thing to remember is that if you use more than one boom, or buy a new one, the front end may differ in configuration. For example, my Maui Sails boom has a much longer mounting surface than any of my other booms.
kmf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"3. If you make substantial downhaul setting changes for conditions, your "spot" wont move if marked on the sail."

So you advocate changing your boom height when you change downhaul settings????

Hmmm.....not sure I agree with that.

KMF
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marking boom height is really not necessary. If you sail enough, you will figure out pretty soon where your approximate boom height needs to be set (rig your sail, stand it up on the beach if necessary and the boom should be a little bit below shoulder height). Modern boom heads adjust so easily that if you're off a little bit, you just jump down into the water, bump the boom up or down as needed, and then continue sailing. Plus, the mast will get a little wear mark anyway from the boom head which you can use as a reference mark.

I wouldn't rely on using a mark on the mast or sail for setting the boom height since changes to the downhaul setting, base extension setting, mast foot position, wind conditions, or using a different board will impact your boom height. You're better off figuring out how changing the boom height impacts handling and then dialing in boom height on the fly as needed so you can sail comfortably.

sm
westender

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd use whatever you have handy. A narrow strip of masking tape will leave a mark for a very long time. I gauge it off of the back of my board.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most here prefer to rig with the boom roughly in place, connect to board, and lay rig over back end to fine tune boom to preferred gap over end of board.

Some booms tend to creep down in hectic B&J or surf (only friction hold after all) and it's odd how you barely care much until it becomes too obvious, and can't be ignored.

A bit like getting past it, and slowly but steadily losing your marbles. Not obvious till somebody (in the course of a heated argument) calls you a silly old buffer. Shocked (Not that such applies to any of the fine specimens of manhood on this 'ere forum!! Wink )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: