myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kona CarbOne Report
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joachim7901

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: New Kona fins in G10 ready soon! Reply with quote

Our special designed fin for the perfect performance on the Kona One shape will be ready soon mayby for Christmas gift? We have made then in G10 and build on the standard Kona One fin with a complete new profile, thiner and more caculated profile. They will be made in sizes 40, 42, 44, 46, 48 and 50 cm to "We really like to keep the good jibes" then we like to help people not need to find out there own fin, the only you need to do pic the right size for your weight and sailsize. Laughing
bmoore98

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I sailed the CarbOne for the second time. I rigged a Super Freak 8.0 and the fin was a Liquid Pro 48. My goal was to compare this set up with my Bic Techno Formula with True Ames Sweeper 54cm. The comparison was strictly to see which one would plane earlier. Winds were gusting to around 17 mph. It was very close but I'd give a slight edge to the BTF. Not enough difference to matter. I ran out of wind before I could put my formula fin on the BTF. That usually helps a lot in marginal winds.
RichardMueller

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmoore,

I have enjoyed the CarbOne Kona discussions you started. Sailed a Kona 1 (not a Carb1) at Bird Island Basin, World Winds in Corpus Christie last week and it sure was VERY fast in light winds and fun in moderate winds.
bmoore98

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, I've had many wonderful days on a Kona One. I recommend them to lots of sailors. I'll be arriving at Worldwinds tomorrow afternoon myself! I'm already in vacation mode.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT, "felt better" is rather subjective, let alone nebulous? when in a corner, tacking or jibing, less swing weight may do more than just feel better. hole shots and other aspects of acceleration mass plays a more important role. a magazine that claims that overall performance is no better, no matter the construction is misleading. in larger boards in particular, differences in mass are greater because of the size every time one changes the construction.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, of course J.B. In big boards such as the Kona the difference in weight (as Dan said) can be considerable, and must make a difference. (Boards were testing two identical J.P. short boards with a much less weight difference in their differing constructions, but a big price difference. I suppose they had to tread carefully, and be diplomatic.)

What is your take on the possible speed difference between the two Konas? I don't doubt that it would be a very desirable board to own, but I imagine its main appeal should be at the lighter end of the wind scale. (Earlier planing? - the Kona 1 can feel a bit tardy.) But in higher winds wouldn't the lighter weight play against control, and would it actually be any faster?

Perhaps when Mr. Moore has more comparison data we will know.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen,

What is a hole shot?

GT,

In higher winds, I find that the board is long and catches wind. This won't change with the Carb1. But I think a lighter board would be more nimble and somewhat easier to manoeuver in the chop, maybe counteracting the effect of lighter weight on control.
Brian_S

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:

stability is a misnomer to lots of folks, even seasoned seafarers.
http://sailskills.co.uk/Stability/sailskills_stability_stability_explained.html

John,

Maybe I misinterpreted your statement, but I don't think the 'stability' described above is really appropriate for describing windsurf or SUP stability. On surf boards the center of gravity is *always* above the center of buoyancy, and so there is never a 'righting moment' due to the buoyant force, and thus *no* stability according to that definition. (The center of buoyancy does move a lot though as a board rolls and different sections of the hull displace water.) I think the stable feel of a windsurf or surfboard has more to do with width, thickness and the relative flatness of the bottom of the hull (including rail shape).

Brian S
www.miwindsurfing.com
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hole shot, a motocross term. off the starting line, who gets to the first turn in the lead.

bsangeor, find me a better researched, more scientific article pertaining to our small, insignificant sport that better explains what's going on with our "vessels." i ain't got the time...

GT, as stated before, what does a lighter/stiffer board do? every bit more of a rider's energy can be applied more toward that undefinable constant interaction between kit and sailor to get better top end. if a board is easier to redirect and maneuver with more subtle physical inputs, then the board seems easier to pilot. undefined amounts based on individuals.

quite often an inexperienced person may get done testing a board and "not like it." why? fin's too twisty, rider is unaccustomed to having the foot straps on the rails, etc. if that same rider spends time with said board he/she may come to appreciate it? quite often, one does.

early planing requires physical effort. retaining control, and turning does too. having less mass to manipulate from either having smaller hulls, or lighter weight helps. it's physics.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are attracted to longboards for differing reasons.

I doubt I'm the only one to have discovered that 'magic' slot; the one I call gallumphing along! The board is in that purposeful state of half planing (12 m.p.h.ish) over a sunlit swelly sea, in a warm and beautifully constant breeze, as it forges purposefully with that glidy but unstoppable force, closing down on some distant island target. You don't need be in the straps, but who cares. You are at one with the sea and nature, and belong there!

It does depend on where you sail, and I'm fortunate in having N.W. Scotland at hand with its myriad of islands, tide races, wildlife, and superb atmospheric effects. (On the half dozen days a year that is, when it isn't p*****g down with rain.) A touch of the Pavarottis is guaranteed at such times! I always recall a wonderful such day when the tip of the mast seemed to be carving through a curtain of high cirrus clouds, couldn't take my eyes off it. Sheer poetry in action, and I often think it's the nearest any atheist will ever get to heaven.

The Kona is more of a planing in the straps longboard and, compared to the older Bamba, doesn't quite hit the same magical gallumphing glide spot. It is faster, and has other fine points, but I still feel that some weight is more of an advantage than a hindrance in a good longboard. That may be faulty thinking though, and this new lighter stiffer Kona may prove to be a desirable step up in allround performance.

If so, I want one!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: