myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Baja trip for Xmas- Flying from Tijuana
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrenchieMary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Baja trip for Xmas- Flying from Tijuana Reply with quote

Hello All windsurfers
I am flying from Tijuana to Baja for Xmas and I was wondering if any of you have ever did it. I plan to drive to LA, leave my car and
- take the greyhound to Tijuana airport
or
-park my car at the Mexican borders, cross it walking and take a cab.

Which one is the best and safest option and since I am a woman who will be travelling alone
Thank you for your help
Happy sailing
Mary
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smartest/safest would be to fly from LAX to Cabo.
Dumbest most dangerous would be to walk across the border at night, alone, carrying your luggage and a sign that says in Spanish, "rob me, please".
allen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would leave your car in San Diego, not at LAX and take a cab to the border, walk across and then get a cab to the airport. Park at one of the long term parking places near the San Diego airport.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Smartest/safest would be to fly from LAX to Cabo.
Dumbest most dangerous would be to walk across the border at night, alone, carrying your luggage and a sign that says in Spanish, "rob me, please".

What said, or fly from SD to Cabo, assuming you're going to the Cabo area.
Saved time and hassle is worth the money.
loopless

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying out of TJ does save you significant $$$.

There are a number of cheap and reliable services in San Diego that take you to/from the TJ airport from downtown SD etc. That's better than standing in the border line on the way back which can be hours on a bad day.

If you are determined, look at parking and crossing at Otay Mesa ( its right next door to the TJ airport). It's much more 'sane' than downtown TJ and the walk-across is usually much quicker.

However, I must admit looked at those option(s) but decided that Alaska out of San Diego was a better bet - much less of a hassle.
cbknap

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense meant to the OP if this post was genuine but it seems more like the post of a troll. Crossing on foot and alone at Tijuana (it's actually the San Ysidro crossing) is dangerous. The INS regularly drops off bus-fulls of deportees at this crossing, most of them straight out of US jails and many of them felons. (There are also some perfectly innocent people deported on these buses--they are also often victims of crimes.) Most of the deportees have no money and no relatives in Tijuana...many of them now live under bridges of the Tijuana River. There is a whole class of low-life criminals who prey on these people and others who haplessly walk across the border alone. Don't do it. Fly from LA or some other US airport to the Baja destination city nearest your resort--Los Cabos and La Paz are relatively safe airports if you take reasonable precautions.
MrFish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbknap wrote:

The BS is running thick today.
loopless

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously! That sounds like a scene out of a Hispanic Mad Max!
Thousands of normal law abiding people cross the border daily. It's safe enough to just walk across the border during the day and grab a cab. Again, many many people do this every day.

Would I cross at 2am and wander around - probably not. But then there are many parts of SD I would not do that.
FrenchieMary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbknap : "No offense meant to the OP if this post was genuine but it seems more like the post of a troll. "

I am definitely not a "troll" but a Bay area single female windsurfer who is looking for her options to cross the borders to get on her plane to La Paz ( ending in La Ventana). OF COURSE, I am not gonna cross the borders at 2am wearing my sexy bikini and carrying a Vuitton purse! Smile

Thanks for your posts guys, I am finally taking the greyhound from LA to TJ airport.
Happy sailing!
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary as in CSC Mary? Former kiteboarder Sherman sailor?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: