myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The season never ends: Wind-SUP!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since selling my Fanatic Ultra Cat in 1990, I've been windsurfing less and less it seems. With only 2 short boards, a 105 L. and 85 L waveboard, I would be lucky to get out on the water 6 times a year! Naturally my skills have deteriorated to the point where when I did get on the water it started getting so that I did not enjoy it all that much. A few years went by where I did not sail at all. I was looseing interest in the sport.

I now live a block from Long Island Sound and decided I wanted to get back into the sport, and that what I really needed was something for the very light winds we get here, 5-10 most every day. So I bought a new Starboard 10' X 34" with mast track and removeable center fin that bolts into a Tuttle box.

I'm finally having fun again! It's really helped get me back in shape too. Sailing for an hour in a 5-10 kt. breeze with small mushy waves without the harness is a good workout. This board works great for catching very small waves, even boat wakes! It's a giant waveboard really. For such a large board it is quite manueverable especially once on a wave. Pivot jibes are real easy, and the wide stable platform inspires confidence in trying new moves. I usually rig a 6.5 which is easy enough to throw around, and if the wind suddenly picks up past 12 the board gets on a plane and moves along quite well. It remains easy to saill without straps into the upper teens, which is when I move to a short board. I don't use the center fin much except for when the wind is very light and directly onshore. This thing really is a blast to sail!

Now when it's blowing 5.0, I can get on my waveboard and have a great session for a few hours and really have fun!

I've probably either paddled or sailed the thing at least 50 times since buying it in June, so it has been money well spent.

Overall I think this would be a great board to learn on, or a great 1 board solution for someone who lives where the wind is light and shifty such as on a lake. I carry a cheap travel paddle that I carry in a backpack, so no worries. if the wind dies. At 10 feet in length It has much the same characteristics as a long board in sub planing mode. The fact that there are no footsrtraps is actually a plus I think, you don't need them, and there is nothing to trip over. I love having a clear and uncluttered deck. I do not miss the retractable daggerboard. Can't tell you how many times I stubbed a toe on those things! The eva deck is very grippy and comfortable.

One very happy camper here! Highly recomended!
Goodwind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
Hi Gerritt,
I am 185 # and the Angulo G'ud 10'10" has a mast track, not just a threaded hole. It works great as a paddling SUP and as a Sailing SUP.
Windward1

I'm wondering why the Angulo dealer at Santa Cruz said the 2013 Angulo G'ud 10'10" has no mast track. Do you've the 2014 model?
windward1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Angulo 10'10" Reply with quote

Hi windgood,
No, I do not have the 2014 model. Mine is a couple of years old.
I do not know why they would not make it with the mast track as it sails very well. I sail it more than straight SUP it. Seems like they are losing something if they no longer make it with a mast track.
Windward1
Goodwind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Windward1,

Here is their quote: "Just got a text from our East Coast distributor, no mast track boards ordered for 2013, many of the models for 2014's will have them!"
Andrew Whitman

It's very strange why they've decided to take out the mast track for 2013, although all the board pics posted online appeared to have mast track. You thinks they don't understand the question? I also asked them for the type of fin boxes used for the three fins and haven't received a clear answer. Can you help? Thanks.
windward1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Angulo 10'10" Reply with quote

Hi windgood,
So I did a little research and found this out:
* The Angulo G'ud 10'10" did not have mast tracks for 2013. Apparently Ed Angulo did not think folk were buying them for sailing and took it out. Josh Angulo wanted the mast tracks in and so in 2014 their boards will have them again, although it sounds like the G'ud is being replaced with a very similar board, that is shorter and may carry a new name.
* The middle fin box is like a surfboard fin box. My fin has the screw aft of the fin.
* The side bites are in futura boxes which have a allen screw hold down in a recessed hole just ahead of the fin.
* Sounds like the XLT construction is significantly lighter in weight.
Hope that helps.
Windward1
Goodwind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Windword1.
Yeh, 23 lb is sweet but too bad they don't put a mast tract in, no sail no sales.
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tropical Blends SUPs weigh around 15 - 18 lbs. depending on the model, and they're strong as hell, one of the best-built SUPs you can buy. Get one & have somebody drop a mast track in it, not that hard to do. www.neverboardinc.com
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
Tropical Blends SUPs weigh around 15 - 18 lbs. depending on the model, and they're strong as hell, one of the best-built SUPs you can buy. Get one & have somebody drop a mast track in it, not that hard to do. www.neverboardinc.com

Could find no weights listed in board specs, but I thought this was interesting:

http://www.tropicalblendsurf.com/?p=2951
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:

Thanks, Spennie, I'll check them out next time I'm in Capitola.
esteban

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great thread love SUPs for both paddling and sailing around, been spending a LOT of time in the waves. Fanatic SUP boards all have the one bolt screw in insert that will fit the 8mm bolt on many single bolt unis- i find it works great but yeah rinsing the sand out of it after your session is a good idea; I have the prowave 9'3" X30" w the thruster setup it is very loose like a shortboard on the wave face not so fun on flat water. Other boards I have are the Surftech Pearson Lairds in 10 and 11' lengths which work better all around but still have a nice thin rounded pin tail that makes it really loose when surfing but still has lots of volume forward for stability when not on the tail. I tried many brands of SUP boards RRD, Naish, Fanatic Fly, Quatro- all work fine for all around but none surf as well as the Pearson shape...just gonna get someone to drop a mast track in this one!

laird11.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  357.89 KB
 Viewed:  15255 Time(s)

laird11.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: