myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Windsurfing Videos Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
internet troll laws in question by Supreme Court

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bajaDean

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: internet troll laws in question by Supreme Court Reply with quote

The cases of internet trolls disturbing forums has been decided in cases before Watts v. United States. 394 U.S 705 1969 ; we have one decided case that conflicts with it the right of the KKK to burn crosses, Virginia vs Black 538 US 343 (2003) that case the right wing supreme court justices said " the law lacked a requirement of proof that the Ku Klux Klan intended to intimidate someone by burning a cross" what a bunch of idiot justices.. it is clear cross burning is to intimidate. But again right wingers are so stupid that they do not believe this to even their supreme court judges. Just shows how stupid as whole right wingers are.

http://firstamendment.jou.ufl.edu/pubs/ElonisAmicusBrief.pdf

Quote:
The face-to-face, political rally
rhetoric at issue in Watts has been supplanted by
anonymous trolls wreaking havoc on message boards
and individuals who, perhaps emboldened by too
much “digital courage,” treat the internet as a global
sounding board where anything goes.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/supreme-court-to-consider-online-threats-case/2014/06/16/fa71bb78-f561-11e3-a606-946fd632f9f1_story.html?wpisrc=nl_politics

Quote:
Elwood said courts have been divided on the issue since the Supreme Court’s 2003 decision in Virginia v. Black. The court invalidated Virginia’s broad prohibition on cross-burning because it said the law lacked a requirement of proof that the Ku Klux Klan intended to intimidate someone by burning a cross.

Now comes the case of a obvious right winger...

Quote:
The brief said the court must consider “a new breed of threat cases informed by the internet, social media, and other revolutionary developments in communication that earlier cases never contemplated.”

In the case now before the supreme court this guy made his threats and even went to extremes like this...

Quote:
The court accepted the case of a Pennsylvania man who was sentenced to nearly four years in federal prison for posting the ominous photos and making the violent rants on his Facebook page against former co-workers, law enforcement officials and especially his estranged wife.

Anthony D. Elonis contends that the postings, which included the lyrics of songs by the rapper Eminem, were free speech — attempts to deal with the pain of his personal problems and not specific threats to harm anyone. The justices will consider the case in the term that begins in the fall.

Quote:
In one post, he mimicked a comedy troupe’s routine about what constituted a threat.

“Did you know that it’s illegal for me to say I want to kill my wife?” Elonis wrote. “Now it was okay for me to say it right then because I was just telling you that it’s illegal for me to say I want to kill my wife.”

Quote:
The court for years has held that “true threats” to harm another person are not protected speech under the First Amendment.

At Elonis’s trial, the jury was told that he could be found guilty if an objective person could consider his posts to be threatening. Elwood told the court that was the wrong standard and that the jurors should have been told to apply a subjective standard and decide whether Elonis meant the violent messages to be threats.

Elwood said courts have been divided on the issue since the Supreme Court’s 2003 decision in Virginia v. Black. The court invalidated Virginia’s broad prohibition on cross-burning because it said the law lacked a requirement of proof that the Ku Klux Klan intended to intimidate someone by burning a cross

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: