myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wind Wednesday?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinDo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Wind Wednesday? Reply with quote

Saw what WindGuru and WindFinder are forecasting for wednesday. Any insights on this Mike? If it's true Im in a rush to get my speed gear ready!

-Kevin

windfind

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi KevinDo,

I am not forecasting again until Thursday. However I am a forecasting for Google for a Makani Power launch Wednesday.

http://www.makanipower.com/google/ : here is the solution to the wind turbine problem at Sherman Island

So the crazy upper Cut-Off Low pattern that is developing Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday is driving me crazy.

As you know Cut-Off Lows are very unpredictable. But the one thing you can normally predict is their approaching Northern California from the WEST and their creating SW winds just aloft.

But this Cut-Off Low seems determined to approach us from the NORTH which would the Bay Area on west side of its counter-clockwise spinning winds so we would have NORTH winds aloft.

Since the Cut-Off Low will make a deep low pressure in the Great Basin and there will be strong NW wind out at the ocean buoys we have strong WSW to WNW surface wind potential from the coast to Sherman Island.

HOWEVER make a mental picture of those N. winds aloft and you will see that they are likely to make the surface winds everywhere GUSTY, SHIFTY and may cause problems with the wind filling in at Waddell, Tomales and Bodega.

Mike

makani-power-airbone-wind-turbine-03.jpeg.0x545_q100_crop-scale.jpg
 Description:
Makani power tethered wind turbine
 Filesize:  255.34 KB
 Viewed:  26539 Time(s)

makani-power-airbone-wind-turbine-03.jpeg.0x545_q100_crop-scale.jpg

cbknap

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that thing is bizarre Mike. What do they do, fly it at 100 feet and run an extension cord to the ground?
MrFish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that's a cool idea.
windfind

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This amazing Bay Area project, which was just bought by Google, was spearheaded by brilliant engineer and kitesurfer Corwin Hardham from the Gorge. He was the Co-Founder and CEO of Makani Power. He died unexpectedly but peacefully on October 23rd, 2012. He was 38 years old.

The Makani project continues and has great potential since compared to regular turbines:

1. It uses only 10% of the structural materials.
2. It uses the stronger winds aloft so it is more efficient.
3. It is free of all the turbulence from nearby turbines, hills, buildings etc.
4. It does not create as much noise or visual impact
5. It does not have to be placed in natural high wind zones where migratory birds concentrate.
6. It does not require the renting of huge tracts of land.

I feel privileged to play a small part in such a promising venture.

Mike Godsey
rpaillon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Safety Issues Reply with quote

Mike,

What a great project to be involved with. I went through the entire website--it is fascinating. Can you comment about the availability of wind in the operation range (which appears to start at 10 m/s or 22 mph)?

I'm sure that safety has been a big concern for all involved. What are some of the more subtle issues--beyond losing flight control or becoming untethered?
ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Does it take off with ground winds Reply with quote

Does it take off with ground winds
and basically fly up to the desired altitude.
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Is that what they were flying at Little Baja off the fire truck latter on Sherman Island?

Coachg
windfind

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that turbines briefly act as motors during take off from the launch truck and the climb to the windy cruising altitude. Then the aircraft switches to turbine mode and generates electricity which is feed back down the tether and ultimately the grid.

Yes prototypes have been flown in the Sherman Island area. My only role is forecasting the wind ranges at aircraft launch sites so I am not privy to technical details beyond what is on the web site. Check the URL above for more information.

Mike Godsey
P.Hill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Makanipower.com Reply with quote

Windfind

Thanks for sharing the info on Makanipower.com. I've never seen this design before, efficient and innovative. Best of luck, if I win the lottery I'll invest in it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: