myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
WINDSPORT interviews Isobars. Please join in
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
One of my posts was deleted. This is not the first time. Yet, unbelievably, isobars gets away with insults and lies about many folks here all the time.

No doubt that this post will be deleted too, but at least the truth will stand for a while.

Chandler, do you not realize that anyone here can access the archives, which prove your entire embarrassing behavioral history, including why your posts get deleted? Maybe if you could show us just one out of those many insults and lies (thousands, you said earlier, so it should be easy), you’d regain an ounce of credibility.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
1. How many days can you go without getting on Iwindsurf to read or write about something.

2. Do you have an alarm or alert to notify you of activity on a thread you are involved with or do you just get on to check and how often would that be thank you.

1. Don't know; never tried or counted.

2. My computer is on 24/7. It takes about 5 seconds to sit down and click the mouse when passing by or doing something else on it. I might go a week if it's windy, or might go just minutes if at my desk anyway and doing something less fun than this. Unlike many of these guys, I'm not wasting company resources here.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daviddk wrote:
isobars

You said "For a few years in my 50s I got paid to test next year’s high-wind windsurfing gear from around the world"

By your own admission all you can do is go fast and jibe. No racing, no wavesailing, no freestyle. Not even a tack! Why would anyone pay to have an intermediate sailor test their gear? By 'paid' did you mean a free magazine subscription?

Somebody break it to him.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Mitch, since you asked about isobars' killfile, I'll ask a few pertinent questions about it. I'm on his killfile list, so some answers might shed some light on things a bit for the 30+ folks currently on the list.

Why do you regularly bring up your killfile list up and brag about it to readers here, to include identifying many on the list?

Because people explicitly requested it, and I (vainly) hoped that some of them had a conscience sufficient to stifle the lies after I described the despicable behavior required to make that list. It is NOT a place any decent human being would want to be.

swchandler wrote:
Does it ever bother you that the killfile list is continually growing?

Absolutely; every day. It puts a number on the disgusting decline in morality and behavior so increasingly dominant in public and online, from elected officials to people who should be paisanos discussing a sport we love. [/quote]
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just now skimmed the guitar story (it took 15 seconds, guys, and I'm a slow reader), and gather that few of you understand the concept and importance of "credentials". If the guitar reviewer had simply raved about the guitar, your response would be "Who's this guy? Does he know what he's talking about? Can he play one? Does he know a fret from a hertz?"

But by laying out his creds, he enhances the value of his review. Sure, he's way over the top, but if I'm buyin' an expensive guitar (or board, or sail), I want a review from someone who knows his stuff.

That's why Lee/Zirtaeb "boasts", as you would call it, and it's why I discuss my experience -- "boast" -- when appropriate and relevant. Selling one's self is how people get jobs, loans, nookie, promotions, transfers to great places to live, political office, first string, and countless other brass rings. The single and by FAR most important joint career move both my wife and I ever made* was explicitly due to my resume, described by the colonel who hired me as the best-supported horn-tooting he had ever seen. He ultimately appointed me to ghost-write his and his senior staff's performance reviews, which must be both impressive and factually defensible for them to get promoted.

* And that doesn't even count our transfer to the Gorge area, based 100% on supportable credentials.

Laugh and deride all ya want, guys, when people support their opinions with credentials. Some day you'll understand why it's important. How many of you got every college, every job, and every transfer you ever chased in your whole lives, and retired very early because of it, as I did based on supportable "boasting"? Toot your own horns and be ready to back it up, because no one else will do it for you.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars, in your answer to my second question, I have to wonder whether you ever look at what you're doing with this killfile thing more introspectively. Why are so many folks annoying you? You might want to reflect a bit and ask yourself whether you might be inviting such responses with your demeanor and attitude here. The fact that the list is continually growing says probably more about you than it does about others. Look inward. There is a part of you that many like. You need to focus on doing more of that, and less about generating anxiety and unrest. Again, if the list is growing, you're doing something wrong.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottwerden wrote:
Mr Fick - you clearlyknow the effect you have on people in these forums. Humans in general I think like to get along but you seem to take glee in making bellicose, provocative posts that invariably get people riled up. So what is going on with that?

How is topical debate either “bellicose” or “riling”? It’s called “dialogue” in most circles. Do some people want to go through life accepting the first ideas that pop up? REALLY?

Avoiding controversy (including accepting my-way-or-the-highway edicts) promotes mediocrity at every level from jibing to running a nation. People who are more annoyed by my honesty and persistence (i.e., provocativeness) than than by others’ incessant, lying, vicious personal attacks (bellicosity) are welcome to tune me out (though it’s a shame they vote), but I’m sure as hell not going to emulate them. If I had just gone with the flow because it’s easy, I’d have been shot up in Viet Nam (by one side or the other) and/or spent the rest of my life in Wilmington fricking Delaware, missing out on almost all the things that have made my life great. The same goes for the extremely unpopular tiny minority of people who freed and built this nation (fortunately, they had higher goals than mine.)

scottwerden wrote:
Would you change your behavior if you knew that your bad karma from years of annoying people on various forums is going to cause you to be reincarnated as an ACLU lawyer, defending poor single mothers on welfare?

“Annoyed”, my @$$. If we don’t suck it up, find the pony, and move on, we may wallow in mediocrity for eternity. Topical debate is a goldmine of knowledge, trinkets and knowledge hand-fed by bobble-headed benefactors foment drones, and the feel-good path can be mighty damned boring, maybe even ultimately ruinous. A little provocation enriches most lives, even if it’s ignored and especially if it’s optional. Can you imagine a lifetime of The (12-)Step Jibe Program or $2,000 boards, decreed by ignorance or myopia rather than by informed choice?

rec.w was positively thriving when I left that cesspool, and NWW moderator “Don” explicitly allowed baseless personal attacks and explicitly forbade even polite responses to them. You’re welcome to it. I post facts, opinions, logic and support thereto in direct response to questions posed by others, and add sailing style stoke when I wanna. As you suggest, anyone is welcome to read or ignore it. I also reserve the right to respond in kind, at 10% of the level of depravity and with proof, to 0.1% of the unadulterated and proven BS they lay on me or others they wish to stifle. After 20 years of it, how that affects them no longer concerns me. What I absolutely can’t comprehend is why the decent people here tolerate and thus encourage the baseless personal attacks I’ve provably avoided and railed against for those 20 years. They’ve made their bed and forgotten to wipe.
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experience is a valuable thing. Humility makes it even more valuable.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have to ask everyone here, do you often feel that you're being victimized here by terrible folks on the windsurfing side of the forum?

I don't feel that way, and I seriously doubt that any of us really do.
daviddk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long do you think he can go on? I think Mitch bailed long ago.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 18 of 25

Jump to: