myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Returning to windsurfing, need purchasing advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UncleRandy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rbroach I also live in the La. area, i'am 205 lb 6' 2" I sail at cabrillo beach the wind is a a lot stronger there most the time in season. We get on avg. 3 days a week 18 to 25 , I use a 106lL board and a 6.9 or 6.0 there I know at alamitos bay u will need a larger board most the time the wind is lite there most the time 10 to 20 so if your going to sail there I would get a 125L or larger board.
rbroach1605

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsurfing was not the developed in the 80's Reply with quote

ctuna wrote:
Windsurfing was not the developed sport in the 80's. it is now.
There has been a lot of evolution in both the equipment and the
technique. There used to be a lot of opinion on technique as the sport
developed now its kind of zeroed in on common basic moves.
There are so many different types of windsurfing now Freestyle, wave sailing , Slalom, etc etc Wave riding an SUP can be a gas and the new
wave riding SUPS's do this well as well as serve as a great low
wind training platform for windsurfing or for low wind wave sailing.
Or just surfing.

As an example this guy can do anything a long boarder can and then some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ID4ud0Rc2v4#!

Although that is not a windsurfing SUP it could be one with the additon
of a mast insert and there are boards of similar size that do have
windsurfing capability.

Interesting video, I enjoyed watching it. Reminds me of my surfing in the early 60's. Still have my old long board, probably should donate it to a museum. If a surfer tried using a SUP in those days he would be banned from the beach Wink

With everyone's help I am getting closer to deciding the best option(s) for me when purchasing a new rig. Thanks.

Bob
rbroach1605

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyBrown wrote:
Hi Rbroach I also live in the La. area, i'am 205 lb 6' 2" I sail at cabrillo beach the wind is a a lot stronger there most the time in season. We get on avg. 3 days a week 18 to 25 , I use a 106lL board and a 6.9 or 6.0 there I know at alamitos bay u will need a larger board most the time the wind is lite there most the time 10 to 20 so if your going to sail there I would get a 125L or larger board.

Back in 1983 I learned to windsurf at Cabrillo Beach. One day as a novice I sailed out too far and the wind started getting strong and gusty. Finally to tired and cold (no wetsuit) to continue, I made a "self rescue" rolled up the sail and paddled in from Angeles Gate. After that I limited my sailing to Alamitos Bay in Long Beach.

Bob
UncleRandy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U are right cabrillo can be tough if your out side and the wind die's ! But u may try sailing on the jetty side flat water tell your skill's improve
geohaye

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first learned to windsurf at Alamitos Bay! Thank you Mary Ellen LEACH, Instructor, P.E. Dept., Long Beach State.

Alamitos is a great spot. You just want to get out in the breeze and cruise around....just get going again. Just be prepared for some awkward moments and unplanned dunkings, but it's (almost) like riding a bike, so you'll find out that it's as fun as it ever was. Some things have changed in 25 years, some things have not!

Since you've not sailed (windsurfed) in 20 years, get a super floaty board so that you can go out and sail around. I agree with Craig that you don't want to bother yet with board under 140 liters. Probably 160-175 would be just fine to shoot for, actually. You want to be good in 7-10mph, as well as in 10-20. The first board after a 20-year break should be floaty as heck, in my opinion. Later you can worry about getting a modern version of what we used to call a "slalom" board...in the range of 115-120 liters or something like that.

For sails, a 5.0 and a 6.5 would probably be a good combo. You want a smaller sail to start up again, and if you want to go out and play when the storms come through starting around November. And you'll want the bigger sail for when you start getting really comfortable again and want to make the most of the good typical 12-15mph sea breeze.

Here's the new Global.iWindsurf zeroed in on Alamitos Bay. Several useful weather stations nearby:

http://global.iwindsurf.com/en-us/Search/ViewResults.aspx#33.749,-118.122,15,obs

Screen Shot 2013-09-30 at 2.55.17 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  958.62 KB
 Viewed:  15409 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2013-09-30 at 2.55.17 PM.png

rbroach1605

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I posted my last comment, I have taken out and sailed my old vintage one design with the original rig and sail. Wow, I forgot how much work sailing that plank was. I sailed around Alamitos Bay for about a half hour. I was still able to tack, jibe, do a standing beach start, sail in to the beach, pull the dagger board and step off. I was not very steady but at least I never got more than my feet wet. I decided to quit while ahead, plus I was beat.

I am now considering buying the 11'6" BIC ACE-TEC SUP Wind with the Bic Sport Nova 6.0 complete rig. Stand up paddling now makes sense and I look forward trying it. It would be nice to have a new modern rig that I can SUP and windsurf. I really appreciate any further comments or suggestions. Thank you very much.

Bob
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbroach1605 wrote:
Since I posted my last comment, I have taken out and sailed my old vintage one design with the original rig and sail. Wow, I forgot how much work sailing that plank was. I sailed around Alamitos Bay for about a half hour. I was still able to tack, jibe, do a standing beach start, sail in to the beach, pull the dagger board and step off. I was not very steady but at least I never got more than my feet wet. I decided to quit while ahead, plus I was beat.

I am now considering buying the 11'6" BIC ACE-TEC SUP Wind with the Bic Sport Nova 6.0 complete rig. Stand up paddling now makes sense and I look forward trying it. It would be nice to have a new modern rig that I can SUP and windsurf. I really appreciate any further comments or suggestions. Thank you very much.

Bob

I have some "older" sails lying around, if you'd like to try them to see how modern rigs feel contact me. I usually sail at Cabrillo but Alamitos bay isn't too far away from my house. Wouldn't mind bringing it out one day and rigging it up for you to try. Alamitos Bay is a great place to learn! That's where I learned and was actually there about a month ago trying to practice some stuff. It was actually windy enough for me to water start my 5.2 (I weigh 64kg)!

Either way, welcome back to the sport!

-Kevin

rbroach1605

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin, I really appreciate the offer but you don't need to go to all that trouble. Let me know the next time you plan to sail at Alamitos Bay, I only live a couple blocks away and I would like to walk over and meet you.

Thanks again,

Bob
KevinDo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbroach1605 wrote:
Thanks Kevin, I really appreciate the offer but you don't need to go to all that trouble. Let me know the next time you plan to sail at Alamitos Bay, I only live a couple blocks away and I would like to walk over and meet you.

Thanks again,

Bob

Oh you live that close to the bay! I was just there about 2 hours ago near 69th street dropping off a sail to another windsurfer! The season is probably over at Cabrillo so I wouldn't mind bringing out the big gear and practicing my heinous port tack gybe! Send me a message the next time you go!

You can contact me thru here or from my site @ www.speedykevin.com
There is a contact box on the side of the site.

-Kevin

KevinDo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

I just finished looking through the garage and found 2 sails you could probably use to get a feel for modern rigs. They are a tad bit old but should do the trick!

These were both my learning sails:
2009 Ezzy Zephyr 7.5 (lots of low end and would work well on SUPs)
&
a ???? Naish Noa 6.5 (has a taped up rip but should do the trick)

I really don't mind bringing them down to the bay so you can try them if it means we get another addition to the socal windsurfing family! (whether you eventually decide to sail at belmont or cabrillo!)

Send me a message thru my site and we can chat about this!

-Kevin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: