myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Windsurfing Videos Buy and Sell Services
 
Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Help understanding Slalom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
isobars



Joined: 12 Dec 1999
Posts: 14054

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergio_k wrote:
lucky for you, you live in windy spot...

Luck ... or maybe he chose to do so. It is an option for most people. I've lived in 8-10 towns/states, all but the first chosen by me.

Not arguing, just encouraging.

Mike \m/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sergio_k



Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Posts: 60

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
sergio_k wrote:
lucky for you, you live in windy spot...

Luck ... or maybe he chose to do so. It is an option for most people. I've lived in 8-10 towns/states, all but the first chosen by me.

Not arguing, just encouraging.

Mike \m/

Life is a compromise, Miami for now is the best I can make, might not be
high wind but it's warm year round, blue warm ocean, no wetsuit, not too bad. Moved from Wisconsin 6 years ago, so it definetely an upgrade...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coachg



Joined: 10 Sep 2000
Posts: 1999

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergio_k wrote:

Here in Miami


You said you didn't see the point in freeride boards. Now I know why.

Coachg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sergio_k



Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Posts: 60

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
sergio_k wrote:

Here in Miami


You said you didn't see the point in freeride boards. Now I know why.

Coachg

Most places windwise like Miami or worth... So, what I'm wrote works there best. Me personally even in high wind destination, I'd prefer, either wave/freestyle/ or slalom, all custom of course Smile,
freeride is a compromise that doesn't do anything well... just annoying... but I'm a perfectionist
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zirtaeb



Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 2378

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ONE thing I always wanted to do in windsurfing, since my first day on an Alto (DufourWingCopy), was to go fast, do all planing jibes, jump the highest.
period!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coachg



Joined: 10 Sep 2000
Posts: 1999

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergio_k wrote:
coachg wrote:
sergio_k wrote:

Here in Miami


You said you didn't see the point in freeride boards. Now I know why.

Coachg

Most places windwise like Miami or worth... So, what I'm wrote works there best. Me personally even in high wind destination, I'd prefer, either wave/freestyle/ or slalom, all custom of course Smile,
freeride is a compromise that doesn't do anything well... just annoying... but I'm a perfectionist


My mistake. I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about beginners & intermediates learning to plane, gybe & tack.

As for freerides, I beg to differ. The one I have, Fanatic Hawk, does quite a bit well.

Coachg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
willysp



Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
The ONE thing I always wanted to do in windsurfing, since my first day on an Alto (DufourWingCopy), was to go fast, do all planing jibes, jump the highest.
period!


And what about those board called "speed"? I can imagine they are faster than slalom boards but just in really specific conditions like in Luderitz, right?

So can we say that for an intermediate, a new light wind slalom board is not complicated and is not going to make the learning process slower? It is not that I want to change my freeride board but I saw two new style light wind slalom boards last week and I was curious about how they handle...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KevinDo



Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 412
Location: Cabrillo Inside

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willysp wrote:
zirtaeb wrote:
The ONE thing I always wanted to do in windsurfing, since my first day on an Alto (DufourWingCopy), was to go fast, do all planing jibes, jump the highest.
period!


And what about those board called "speed"? I can imagine they are faster than slalom boards but just in really specific conditions like in Luderitz, right?

So can we say that for an intermediate, a new light wind slalom board is not complicated and is not going to make the learning process slower? It is not that I want to change my freeride board but I saw two new style light wind slalom boards last week and I was curious about how they handle...


If you are planning to do 40knots + the speed boards would probably be easier to use. IMHO, any slalom board is capable of reaching speeds up to 40kts (or even higher) in the proper conditions. Don't need AS specific conditions as Luderitz but flat water + the ability to go 140degrees off the wind would be nice for a speed board Very Happy. (and a nice sail + fin too!)

Regarding slaloms for intermediates, it looks like a mixed bag of opinions here. IMHO, I've always felt that if you were trying to perfect your carving gybe than a slalom board wasn't a proper candidate for a board. I've tried the 2012/13 iSonics, 2011 Fanatic Falcons, and the 2011 AHD SL1s and found that they are needed a lot more input (activeness?) than the freeride boards I came from (Tabou Rocket & HiFly Frees). If you can make more than half your carve gybes than I'd say go for the slalom board. If you can't than I'd say focus on perfecting it on your current board.

Just my .02 cents Very Happy

-Kevin

_________________
2014 Cabrillo Beach GPS CS (inside)
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1T3t6bAGX8AejJqTFg5empQNjQ&usp=sharing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KevinDo



Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 412
Location: Cabrillo Inside

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergio_k wrote:
coachg wrote:
sergio_k wrote:

Here in Miami


You said you didn't see the point in freeride boards. Now I know why.

Coachg

Most places windwise like Miami or worth... So, what I'm wrote works there best. Me personally even in high wind destination, I'd prefer, either wave/freestyle/ or slalom, all custom of course Smile,
freeride is a compromise that doesn't do anything well... just annoying... but I'm a perfectionist


The Tabou Rocket I used to have and other ones I've tried seemed to do everything exceptionally well. Not the greatest or best! But good enough for anyone who just wants to have a nice day at the beach Very Happy

-Kevin

_________________
2014 Cabrillo Beach GPS CS (inside)
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1T3t6bAGX8AejJqTFg5empQNjQ&usp=sharing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rgomez



Joined: 13 Dec 2012
Posts: 61

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys....The salom segment always confused me....The boards vary from narrow boards to wide boards and I've seen boards like starboard hypersonic which look very similar to formula boards with probably a lower volume.

I've come to understand these boards are ridden on the rails which makes it harder for intermediates to ride....but so are the Formula boards.

Is there much difference between a hypersonic and formula?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

myiW | Weather | Community | Membership | Support | Log in
like us on facebook
© Copyright 1999-2007 WeatherFlow, Inc Contact Us Ad Marketplace

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group