myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Racism and America
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 162, 163, 164 ... 455, 456, 457  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep hearing from Isobars how wonderful Alabama was growing up, and from the other righties, how much everything has changed. Not really. Just finished reading this: http://www.thenation.com/article/199217/fifty-years-after-march-selma-everything-and-nothing-has-changed

The schools have re-segregated, as private schools, and the "school reform", or charter movement, gives cover to the effort to remove funding from public schools entirely. A paragraph or two from the article:

Quote:
Sean and Tylisa Black moved from Denver to Selma in 2007, after Sean visited on a civil-rights pilgrimage. It was too late to enroll their 4-year-old daughter, Shania, in public school, so they sent her to a predominantly white private preschool. When it came time for kindergarten, Shania told her parents she wanted to attend Morgan Academy, a segregated private school founded by whites three months after Bloody Sunday. Morgan was named after Alabama Senator John Tyler Morgan, a Confederate general and a grand dragon of the KKK in the 1870s. Morgan Academy had never accepted an African-American student, but the Blacks applied for Shania, and, to their surprise, she was admitted.

They were told to expect twenty-five people at the first parents meeting. Five hundred showed up, packing the school’s gym: parents, aunts, grandparents and alumni. “Our heritage is being ruined,” Sean remembers hearing over and over again. One board member resigned on the spot. Dallas County District Court Judge Bob Armstrong leaned over and told Sean, “I’m sorry. This kind of behavior reminds me of the 1960s.”

Shania was not personally bullied, but older siblings of her friends were beat up and called “nigger lovers.” She couldn’t sleep over at her white friends’ houses, and nobody from her school would come to her birthday parties. Graffiti on the back of Walmart depicted Shania being lynched. “Nigger” it said, pointing to her head. “Hang the bitches,” it said below, next to “MLK is a homosexual” and a drawing of a swastika. Shania spent two unhappy years at Morgan before leaving for the public elementary school. Now in sixth grade, she attends a private “freedom school” affiliated with the Selma Community Church, the only truly integrated church in town.

2007. Tell me again about how racism is dead.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a sad, toxic existence our Berkeley poster must live. Constantly scouring the web for reasons to be angry or to stir up acrimony. In all likelihood, that constant need for anger or conflict will shorten his life span.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How funny. From the apologist for Monsanto--who left a toxic legacy in Vietnam. Some of us read magazines. Some avoid reading anything that doesn't support our biases.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr...G...no need to scour the web. Just flip the tube on and see the good Jesuit Boys from Dallas, signing a little song on the way to their SAE formal at the University of Oklahoma.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, Boggsy. This is such a crap country. Keep working on the spelling.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsk tsk...I know you've read a few of my posts. I'm a big fan of this land...from sea to shining sea. But , I'm sure you'll agree that there are a few bad apples out there. One time when I was in the OBX with a few loudmouth windsurfers, we hit up a bar in Kill Devil Hills for some live music. A buddy of mine, yelled out a request for some of his favorite Bay Area musician, Neil Young.....you could have heard a pin drop.
BTW-its my dislexia that turns singing into signing.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go again Archbishop. This is a pretty good country, but it needs some improvement, and people who are willing to work to improve it. Perhaps a requirement for right wing 1% ers to have some evidence before they put words in someone's mouth?

But this country will never get better if right wingers refuse to address the problems. If right wingers succeed in demonizing the education system, and setting up their own system. As we can see not just in Selma, but across the south and in many parts of the rest of the country, a whites only school system.

Mrgybe, of course, repeats the talking points of the corporate right about the need to "reform" our educational system--that is, set up charter schools with no "troublemakers." Or reading comprehension or critical thinking. Just talking points.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
I'm sure you'll agree that there are a few bad apples out there.

Wow! I would never have guessed that there would be a few bad apples in a diverse population of 320 million! BTW, only someone with dyslexia (note spelling) would shout out for a Neil Young song in a bar. Obviously he meant Barry Manilow.
mac

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone really believe that fraternities are the last bastion of racism?

Quote:
BY ALAN COHEN AND TRACY CONNOR
The University of Oklahoma says it has determined that fraternity members learned a racist chant at a national event organized by Sigma Alpha Epsilon four years ago — and it wants to know what the leaders are doing about it.

OU President David Boren is expected to announce the results of the school's investigation into the episode at 1 p.m. ET Friday, but revealed some findings in a letter to the frat's executive director.

"The chant was learned by local chapter members while attending a national leadership cruise sponsored by by the national SAE organizations four years ago," Boren wrote.
real-human

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Does anyone really believe that fraternities are the last bastion of racism?

Quote:
BY ALAN COHEN AND TRACY CONNOR
The University of Oklahoma says it has determined that fraternity members learned a racist chant at a national event organized by Sigma Alpha Epsilon four years ago — and it wants to know what the leaders are doing about it.

OU President David Boren is expected to announce the results of the school's investigation into the episode at 1 p.m. ET Friday, but revealed some findings in a letter to the frat's executive director.

"The chant was learned by local chapter members while attending a national leadership cruise sponsored by by the national SAE organizations four years ago," Boren wrote.

I think the ADL and or the NAACP should file some sort of legal argument to get to the bottom of this fraternity. It appears a major investigation should be done to see if it indeed is systemic. As I posted another chapter in Texas was caught on tape with a similar version. And I did not hear that the national chapter suspended that chapter in Texas.

Again a good reporter would be getting to the bottom of this.

If this fraternity has never had blacks in any of the chapters at all or just in the South, I believe it should be disbanded completely. And if true that every past graduate be held accountable and find out if they are in positions of public trust, prosecutors, judges, police anythings, elected officials. and so on. And every conviction any of these were involved in be re-evaluated and applied with statistical norms.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 162, 163, 164 ... 455, 456, 457  Next
Page 163 of 457

Jump to: