myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Racism and America
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160 ... 455, 456, 457  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bajaDean wrote:
well I believe he is taking the right steps...

again lets see the RNC set up a commission to eradicate racism in the RNC by appointing a person who won a case against racism.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/17/pope-appoints-british-child-sexual-abuse

Pope appoints British child sexual abuse survivor to church commission

That could just be a great PR move. I will believe that the Pope is sincere when he singles the perpetrators out, public apologies are made, and prison sentences assigned with full media attention. They should be treated as Nazi war criminals. He should have instantly suspended those accused of such activity from involvement with children and as representatives of the faith. This is what you are asking of the RNC with racists, which I happen to agree with, is it not? Yet you put such a man who condones such immorality on a pedestal when he is essentially doing the exact same thing.

If you had people as employees who did such horrendous immoral acts as representatives of your organization, would you keep them around? Working for me, you'd be smoked so fast your head would spin, regardless of whatever politically correct laws would protect such an individual.

How could the Pope, who claims to be making changes, even stomach the thought of child molesters involved in an organization he is the head of....let alone a Christian organization that is supposed to be providing moral guidance to its follower? BLOWS MY MIND!!!! It's been almost two years as Pope, get the job done already and stop talking about it!

Perhaps you would be best served to familiarize yourself with Marten Luther's historical accounts of the Catholic Church's activities and behaviors let alone the distortions of Biblical teachings for selfish gain.

Nobel Peace prize, are you kidding me?
mac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RR--careful, you'll get an accusation from Virginia (northern Alabama ?) that you are an anti-Catholic bigot!

As a "recovering Catholic", former altar boy, I am profoundly ashamed of what the church hierarchy did. The cover-up was systematic and occurred in multiple countries. I've seen nothing that demonstrates that priests are any more prone to pederasty, but the cover-up and protection of priests rather than children was shameful.

With that said, it is not easy to figure out what the right thing is, much less implement it. Francis has serious detractors within the church, both for his vision of the importance of the poverty mission, as well as his believe in tolerance. He is also trying to drain multiple cess-pools. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/secrets-of-the-vatican/

and http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/religion/secrets-of-the-vatican/can-the-curia-be-reformed/

Money laundering, influence peddling, cronyism and more, not just covering up sexual abuse.

For years when I was growing up, the church was searching for new priests and nuns--the foot soldiers in religious activities at a parish level where most religions do far more good than evil. It is difficult--and maybe impossible--to can every priest who made a mistake and still have enough staff to do the good work of the church.

True reform, in my opinion, means moving away from the patriarchical, "abstinent" view of the church hierarchy and developing leaders among women and among married people that understand sexuality and can communicate positively, and with some understanding of a long-term sexual relationship. I have no doubt that much of the difficulty within the church is rationalizing vows of abstinence with the nature of the human animal, and it has made sexuality an obsession rather than a joy. Sad indeed.

Enjoy Francis for what he is--a breath of fresh air. Compared to Pius XII, he is a saint.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have the exact same criticism of any organization that condoned that behavior, so no, that is not anti-Catholic bigotry.

I'm not taking about reprimanding every priest who's made a "mistake". I am talking about zero tolerance of pedophiles. If the church should suffer as a result, then tough. If he's draining multiple cess-pools he's definitely hitting the soft balls first. When you want to clear house you take down the worst offenders, the rest run for the hills or step in line.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac,

Watching the video link. My blood pressure probably shot to dangerous levels, under my breath I mutter "WTF", and I can't help but fear my reaction if one of those children was mine.

A Pope who would not take harsh, immediate, and forceful action is not equipped to deal with this disgusting corruption. Two years post anointing, and little to no change? You're all kidding yourselves.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill O'Reilly, a lifelong devout Catholic but also a rabid activist for the protection of children, is furious at the church over this issue. He recently informed some legislative body on worldwide TV that any legislator who votes against some specific (I forget which) child protection measure would see his face and name on TV worldwide the next day.

That's one advantage of being a news analyst and commentator rather than strictly a hard news anchor: he is still held to the truth by viewers and obsessive critics (his harshest critics are seldom knowledgeable viewers) worldwide, but he gets to actually influence outcomes now and then. His success in getting Jessica's Law passed in almost every state must be pretty rewarding.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Bill O'Reilly, a lifelong devout Catholic but also a rabid activist for the protection of children, is furious at the church over this issue. He recently informed some legislative body on worldwide TV that any legislator who votes against some specific (I forget which) child protection measure would see his face and name on TV worldwide the next day.

That's one advantage of being a news analyst and commentator rather than strictly a hard news anchor: he is still held to the truth by viewers and obsessive critics (his harshest critics are seldom knowledgeable viewers) worldwide, but he gets to actually influence outcomes now and then. His success in getting Jessica's Law passed in almost every state must be pretty rewarding.

Isn't "knowledgeable viewers" an oxymoron in the context of Fox "News"?
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While watching this movie I was constantly reminded up this passage - Galatians 1:6-8

6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse!

I wonder how many Catholics, or people in general, would even comprehend the full meaning and lesson of the book of Galatians.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RR--I hope you kept watching until the end. It is a pretty well balanced piece. I remember most of the pieces spilling out over time--in essence, how raising money from the wealthiest Catholics--warped the function of the church. But don't be too hard on Francis. It was Benedict, when he was Cardinal Ratzinger, that was close to the decisions made about protecting the priests not the children. To his defense, that was long after most of the crimes had been committed, and he seemed to have been truly overwhelmed when he saw the magnitude of the crimes.

Benedict was, of course, strongly supported by Catholic conservatives, who have been the resistance bloc to change in the church for many decades.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did watch until the end. The most bizarre part is that not much has changed from Luther's 16th century account of the Catholic church. I found the first part of that documentary deeply disturbing. The financial laundering and hierarchy didn't surprise me one bit, but it was interesting.
real-human

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

again if I owned the media as a liberal stuff like this would be front page. this is a top staffer and a former Baptist Pastor and paid senior advisor to a congressman.

hardly a blip out there... and this is not even the deep south.

http://news.yahoo.com/congressman-aaron-schock-s-adviser-resigns-over-alleged-racist-facebook-posts-211832888.html

Quote:
A senior adviser for Rep. Aaron Schock (R.-Ill.) has reportedly resigned over a series of racially charged statements on social media.

Benjamin Cole tried to quell the commotion surrounding the congressman's “Downton Abbey”-inspired office decorations earlier this week. But that’s nothing compared with the media firestorm brewing around his Facebook posts from Oct. 13, 2013, obtained by Think Progress.

Cole, a former Baptist pastor, allegedly mocked two African Americans outside his apartment in Washington, D.C., comparing them to animals that had escaped from the National Zoo. Each post was accompanied by the hashtag #gentrifytoday.

Two months later, he described witnessing the shooting of “one of the hood rats on my street” by “another hood rat,” according to the liberal news site.

But these racially charged posts were not confined to 2013.

Just last month, he reportedly described a confrontation between an African American police officer and himself after an African American woman allegedly assaulted him and said, "You white people need to learn."

Back in 2010, Cole wrote that a mosque should be built on the White House grounds so that President Obama, who identifies as Christian, would have a place to worship, Buzzfeed reported.

According to the online news site, he also wrote, “The fact remains that White people who live in my building are routinely harassed by Black miscreants who blockade the sidewalks and entryways in front of and behind my building.”

Schock sent a statement to the Journal Star in Peoria, Ill., distancing himself from Cole’s reported comments.

"I am extremely disappointed by the inexcusable and offensive online comments made by a member of my staff," the statement reads. "I would expect better from any member of my team. Upon learning about them I met with Mr. Cole and he offered his resignation which I have accepted."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160 ... 455, 456, 457  Next
Page 159 of 457

Jump to: