myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Straps opening for wave riding... a few doubts remain
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
This is what I use

I can see why precise control is a challenge, and why some people may want to unstrap or at least move their feet a bit when maneuvering. That board looks twice the width of anything I sail in terrain, it has more straps than anything I own, and its straps are much more outboard than any of mine. On all my boards, both feet cross the centerline when I'm in my straps as you picture here. Simple, unobservable, foot muscle twitches are all that's required to expose my rails fully -- sometimes even the fin off the lip -- for very sharp turns at the tops and bottoms. Rig handling beyond a tug on the aft hand isn't even necessary except for the very sharpest or direction-reversing slashes.

Uberwide boards like that are probably a big help when planing is a problem, which partly explains why I either rig bigger or do something else when the wind is that light. After all, if the wind is that light, our local water is flat flat flat. We VERY seldom have the luxury of swell in light winds.

All this sorta makes me wonder if, when there's enough wind, an older, narrower wave board might resolve all those foot placement concerns and both simplify and liven up good terrain with more speed. That depends, of course, on individual preferences between speed and planing power. You mentioned, for example, that at the bottom you want no power. I'm just the opposite, largely by personal preference.

It would certainly be easy and cheap for you to experiment with narrower boards on windy days if you wanted to, as they're gathering dust near many good wave spots. Both styles of boards and sailing have their own advantages and disadvantages, especially obvious when terrain changes from silky to harsh.

Speaking of which, you mentioned liking your feet secure in snug straps in chop. Regardless of strap tightness, heel ramps really boost security in rough water. They don't interfere with foot extraction, but give you a wedge against which to jam your back heel at speed, especially when driving upwind even briefly, in rough water.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I should have mentioned in my last response is that your body position is very different when you are on a wave, as opposed to when you are sailing back out.
Where I sail, it's mostly waves that break to the right, as a result not only is my right front strap a bit looser than the left, but it's also farther forward.
Most boards have strap position choices built into them, for me, my right strap it all the way forward, that allows me better control of the board while on the wave. When wave riding, you are more upright in your stance, unhooked, and your weight should be more forward on your board, barely using your straps at all. When sailing back out, you're more in a speed stance, leaning back on your harness lines, and farther back on your board, so I have my left strap mounted in the most rear holes.
Asymmetrical front foot strap placement, for a wave dedicated board, is a plus.

So I guess you could say that I really have only two very loose straps, the right front, and the rear. But the other strap isn't really that much tighter, I still like to go left when we have a south swell, that's when the lefts can be really good.

Also you have to be able to get into and out of your straps really fast, tight ones can stick. Also if you need to bailout on an aerial, you can shake off your board easily if the straps are loose.

That first board you showed is not a wave board, twin straps in the back will never work unless your rear foot is in front of them while on a wave. And that's a compromise that just hurts the attempt.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not dissing your Arroyo skills, but isn't your left strap loose, while the right strap is used going out and jumping?
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars,
Ah nono, this isn't my board, I was using the photos to show footstrap openings.

This is my board (there you can see the strap opening, at least on the jump tack) luckily for me it's a 77L:

mw30,
I can see the benefit for having the straps set up differently on both sides.

And yes, when they are tight they can get a little too snug but I've had it happen with loose straps too. I have found that loose strap do a much better jibe release. The forward falls is what worries me and particularly at the bottom.

On the jump tack, I have no problem bailing, I do this quite well actually! But I cannot really bail out of a forward fall at the bottom.

Oh and I have flat feet (size 9-10), the top arch is quite flat smooth upslope. I believe this is why my foot can get jammed in there. I need some thermo straps Very Happy
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Not dissing your Arroyo skills, but isn't your left strap loose, while the right strap is used going out and jumping?

Damn if you ain't right, reverse everything I said, LOL.
Musta been that getting blown off my 3.7 today that got me all spun.
It blew like shit today.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blew so hard on Tuesday I stayed home.
Gusts to 40 at stick and Gunclub.
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Aloha Classic.
I could fit my foot in there quite well, and most likely the bottom half of my leg. But I wouldn't be able to push on my heels hard enough to change direction at the cut back... so open, wow!

Now, one difference I noticed between different straps is that some (starboard's) lean forward along with the foot preventing the foot from being jammed in there by holding it back. When the straps don't follow the foot they can tend to jam in little by little. Anyone noticed the same thing?

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in deep for front side wave riding. not so much for back side waves. still shallower for flat water blasting and racing. worx for me.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..and lots of top riders move their backfoot slightly out for the cutbacks, then back in deep for the front side bottom turns.
Side onshore wave riding usually takes tighter straps.
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest setting is to have the front surfing side strap open the most. I'm almost all the way to the ankle (beyond that it hurts my ankle when leaning forward). The second most open is the rear strap. Finally the jumping side strap is slightly tighter but loose enough for comfortable speed jibes. This gives me slightly better control is the chop and jumps.

These settings allow me to bail when I need and I don't get "suction cupped" anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: