myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Travel the world
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Travel the world Reply with quote

Folks have been asking about going elsewhere to sail.
We find that we spend about $100 day traveling the world.
With about $35K you can spend a whole year on a round the world trip sailing, if you live as we do.
Europe and Africa are more. Asian costs less, like Thailandand Bali.
When you spend so much time on the road you will find friends as you go. It is easiest to hang with the others on the road.
Those who travel stratify into three groups.Tourists, travelers and corporate types are the most used names. Everybody is a tourist at first , but as you start hanging with locals and avoiding tour buses many folks slid without knowing into the Travellors camp.
The lowest social class put there are corporate types. They are always frightened and mostly stay in isolation from the experiences the world offers.

The suits are the crowd who is out there because their job required it. Most of them lack the sense of adventure shared by those who came on their own. They walk around in suits or sports clothes that cost more than a local makes in a year. You see them sitting in cafes sneering at all the low class people like me and the others on the road.
Locals detest them but hide it because they need the money.
They refer to expats and long time Travellors as "tourists"and are proud of the expertise they have gained by being in country a whole month, chatting with other isolated frightened guys at the office.
When you hear the expression "Spoken like a true tourist" you are listening to one of these arrogant types.
joew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty broad brushstrokes you're painting with there Keycocker, and I might add you display the same condescending outlook towards the other camp as you accuse them of. Everyone is really different . My brother for example, is an old China hand, 20 years in first Taipei, then Hong Kong, now Shanghai, fluent Mandarin speaker, Chinese wife. He fits your description of of a buisiness traveler appearance wise in the hotel lobby, sidewalk cafe or market, he's told me some pretty amusing stories over the years about guys like you who judge by the envelope, and have no idea who they are talking to. Travelers blow into town on a rumor, and have no idea where they are. Buisness guys are there for work, factory visit, local partner, or cog in some multinational with local presence. while you're on a marathon surfin safari, these guys are trying to pay the bills, get kids thru school etc. Sometimes international travel for work isn't about being an internet cafe hipster, it's all about getting the job done and not taking your eye off the ball. My point is, lighten up with the convenient categories and preconceptions about the other non natives in what ever place you show up. Some of those guys are major league expats who can give you insights into places, times and history they have witnessed, but you'll never find out until you get past the labels.
keycocker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I mis spoke.you are right .those on the road will find all kinds of characters in the three social groups.
Those groups you meet are not known by their jobs or their clothes.
It is their attitude that earns them the rank. Your pal on China has been putting up with them all his life.
Look on the road for the characters mention in these two posts and understand them on a one by one basis.
You will find them.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC, when do come back to Parkville? I'd love to sail Paradise cove with you guys sometime when you're here. I always enjoy hearing about your travels and perspective on life.
keycocker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will catch you next time I am in town. Better stil come to Maui.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keycocker,
I was sharing with my wife your story. She started researching and actually seemed quite interested.
How did you come about to moving to Belize? Was it a tough decision or were you visiting and just "knew" it was the place for you.
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent my life traveling and used to ask people what the best place on earth was. A doctor I met in India said Caye Caulker.
I passed nearby years later and stopped for a fish dinner.
She was right.
pueno

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
...said Caye Caulker.

Hence your alias.
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the name of the island until they respelled it after independence in 1982.
Now it is hard to spell. The whole country is sometimes run like my High School Student Council was in charge.
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once was mostly lobster fishing but the lobster money went to buy small hotels and guesthouses.
You need to bring your own job and hire locals.
Locals folks like the expats.
I have a high school on the island called the Ocean Academy. We get a lot of awards. The grade school not so much.
I built a half dozen houses but won't build any more right now.
There are no sewers, we all use simple septics. Many folks still have a foxhole deep well, but they put in pipes for water service.
No cars, only bikes or golf carts.
Warm crystal clear water. The seafood is Fresh.
Not "doesn't smell bad yet" which is the meaning of fresh in North America.
Once we invited Zeas for dinner and he said he wanted fish and would go get it.
No fish store.
He came back carrying fins in 45 mins with two grouper some conches and five lobster, dripping wet with seawater in a bag.
That is how hard it is to catch fish in an un polluted country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: