myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Noob question: Carrying a long board and rig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thurston

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Noob question: Carrying a long board and rig Reply with quote

I'm just wondering what the best way to carry an older heavy long board is to get into the water and also to come out of the water at a beach.

My board is heavy out of the water is awkward enough by itself. I've been bringing the board to the water's edge, then bringing the fully rigged sail/mast/boom to the board, making the connection and awkwardly lifting and carrying it the final steps out into water deep enough for the fin. This is difficult, especially with certain wind directions.

Coming out of the water is the same, except worse because I'm already exhausted.

Any tips?
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes sail my 10' 10" SUP which has no footstraps with which to grab it. I put a loop of line around the leash tie down at the board's tail. I carry the board to the water's edge and then bring the rig down as you do. If the beach is nice sand, I pick up the loop in one hand which lifts the tail of the board with its fins and then with the other hand lift the rig. Then, I either push the board with its nose sliding on the sand into the water, or if it will not push, I bring the tail around and walk into the water, with it and the rig, dragging the nose of the board into the water. From there I direct the board's nose seaward. Lift the sail, hop on, and go.
spennie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the short version: Carrying a longboard & rig is difficult to impossible, depending on the size. I can carry my Kona One & 8.2, but only for very very short distances, like from the sand into the water.

You're doing it right, when you make it up to shortboarding it will be much easier.

whitevan01

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, agree, he's doing it right. a personal note: I have a 90's Fanatic Megacat (the purple one), made in Germany,honeycomb construction, 12'6" long, 65 cm long, 250 liters or so. here's the thing, this thing is light enough (even with daggerboard in, the daggerboard feels like it weighs nothing - maybe it's made of dark matter?), that I can easily pick the rig up by the boom and the board up by a footstrap (sail and board connected) and carry it into the water. almost as easy as I can do it with my 102l and smaller boards.

so, why can't they make longboards like that any more?

sorry, got carried away a bit off topic there.

have a good day.
outhaul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"make it up to shortboarding" ? Sounds kind snobby to me
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not apply to your conditions but here's what I do at my go-to spot. The water access is enhanced (!) by pointed rocks and bushes. I usually bring the sail in the water first, leave it there, bring down the board that I left closeby and make the connection in the water. I do the reverse to get out.

It works for me because the lake bottom is somewhat sandy and the start point is often sheltered from waves. A benefit of longboards is that you can select more sheltered start spots that would require a swim for shortboards.

I've also seen people use a small anchor and buoy to make sure the sail or board is not washed ashore while bringing the other part in. It's also usefull to take breaks or to perform adjustments.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder wrote:

I've also seen people use a small anchor and buoy to make sure the sail or board is not washed ashore while bringing the other part in. It's also usefull to take breaks or to perform adjustments.

We lake sailors like the bouy. It would work in big water too as long as there is not too much surf. I made one out of an old 8lb sledge head and a boat bumper. Take the board out and tie it up then carry the rig out. I simply moor it there on breaks.
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend you minimize your sail mooring. Silt gets in the batten pockets, causing wear. A friend of mine used to moor his for days at a time, until one day his battens started bursting through the batten pockets. It took a LOT of mooring time for that to happen, but you should be aware of it.
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF it is not too wavy where you sail, you can disconnect the sail from the board while in knee deep water. Leave the sail in the water while you carry the board (a short distance) to the beach. Then go back and get the sail. Of course this wouldn't be advised if there is shore break or a fast current. Typically the rig doesn't move particularly fast under these conditions

Depending on the beach, ie sandy or rocky, sometimes you can leave the water holding the sail/boom with one arm, the foot strap with the second (as with a short board) and have the nose drag on the sand a little. Not ideal however.
brianboonstra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Easier carry technique Reply with quote

I don't think anyone here has pointed out what I think of as the "standard carry". To start, put the board facing 135 degrees off the wind.

Attach the sail and lay it at 90 degrees to the board, on the upwind side (this is the opposite of where you leave it when setting the rig down during a rest break). Position the sail clew downwind (i.e. by the nose of the board).

Now, stand on the upwind side of the board, near the tail. You should be able to grab a front footstrap with one hand, and the boom with another. Grab the boom far enough down the length that you can "fly" the sail a little. Once you're doing that, the apparent weight of the rig is almost nothing or even negative (depending on wind strength).

Grab a footstrap, pick everything up and stagger to the water. Pay attention to the angle of everything with the wind -- it's tempting to shove the board forward which will make the sail flip back onto you.

For coming out of the water, it's just the opposite -- put the sail in a clew-first beachstart position, grab the boom and a footstrap, and lumber back out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: