myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Carbon Boom Breakage.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks once again gents. Unfortunately, whitevan, I need a 230, or preferably a 250. I have an old Prodigy ...don't remind of that Rolling Eyes ....8.5 racing sail which I kept, and could use on the Kona if I go to 250.

It's nice to be reassured about good quality carbon. There are cheaper Chinese varieties about (bike world) which are best avoided.

Since we have a Chinook importer (Pro Maui may be prohibitively expensive over here) and I've always had good vibes with their stainless one piece top tendon U.J.'s, and heavy duty long alloy booms, I'll check if their top end carbon booms are on sale. If it does me 10 years of cruising and island sorties, with npeace of mind, it will be well worth the cost.

Thanks again - mind sorted Wink (And every day is a good one, or I'll know the reason why not!!!!!)
whitevan01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinese carbon -- I remember reading somewhere a few years ago where it was stated that Taiwanese carbon components (including bikes) were the best in the world as they had the most experience building carbon stuff since many companies were having them make their carbon stuff for them. I know that is true for some bike companies, such as Intense, who make their aluminum stuff here.

anyway, interesting. hope you find a good boom for yourself.

where are you anyway?
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N. Yorkshire, England. (We call it Gods own Country. Laughing Laughing Laughing )
feuser

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cracked a MauiSails Race Boom arm near the front end - the front piece is practically solid carbon and, because of its rigidity, stresses the tubes near the connection. The outer tube was cracked from the inside where the front piece is inserted and epoxied into the tube - it must have happened in a crash when falling onto the boom and putting compression load onto the boom arm. The arm was still strong - I could not pull it apart, in spite of a longitudinal 1mm wide and 5" long crack.

This is not really a design flaw or an avoidable situation; however, unlike with aluminum, it can be repaired.

In this case, I stripped the grip 8 inches back from the front end, glued/epoxied the crack and then wrapped both sides with carbon. I am waiting to try this - it hasn't been windy for a while - but I am pretty confident that it'll hold.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We fixed carbon masts and booms in our shop for several years. In every
case in which we know the outcome - it failed.
They make booms by orienting the fibers long ways and a repair can not duplicate that. The original breaks were mostly a crack noise, then a chance to head home before it came apart.
When ALL the repairs broke it came apart without warning.
We use one piece alum booms since their inception. They are very close in stiffness and weight to carbon and cost one fourth as much.
They still corrode more but the typical corrosion failure mode was at the head connection. With one piece that seems largely solved.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

florian,

I have a 170-230cm Maui Sails Carbon Wave boom, and the boom body is a continuous monocoque piece. The rear extension is also single piece monocoque construction. No bonded components involved. It's my understanding that their larger racing booms are also a similar monocoque construction. While I could be wrong about the racing boom, I seriously doubt it.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker, Which aluminum booms have you been using? I've been wondering that it may be more econimical to to use aluminum booms and replace then every few years.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT,
nice. so are you into F1? McLaren? Button or Lewis?
I'm a Scuderia Ferrari/Fernando nut myself.
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A company called Aeron tested prototypes here eight years ago.We liked them and Hawaii Pro line , Naish, Nealpryde and others began to sell Aeron monocoque alum with their own labels.
We sold a lot of the HPL branded Aeron booms.
HPL folded. Our booms are about 6years old and used year around in salt.,never rinsed.
I am pretty sure I have more miles on my gear than on my car.
They look fine but we are trying some Chinook Pro1 that seem just as good.
They don't look exactly the same as the other brands so they may not be Aerons.
MauiSails monos are Aerons but they designed their own head. It rocks.

Last edited by keycocker on Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Carbon Boom Breakage. Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Am I right in thinking that inertia loadings (body weight and leverage with bigger sails) are greater on bigger booms and bigger heavier boards, and that carbon may not be such a good idea, unless made much stronger, for physically active riders who are always energetically pumping to plane?

Getting back to the original question, the reason carbon is a good idea for large sails is that at extension lengths for 7+ meter sails, carbon booms are much stiffer, and therefor do not bag out the sail in gusts and flatten them in lulls (ie don't exacerbate conditions.) It's a significant performance issue. If you're rigging a 4.0, the debate between carbon and aluminum is different. For big sails a carbon boom can make the difference between enjoying sailing and not. A large unstable sail is not much fun.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: