myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kona One with an Aerotech Zenith and an RDM mast
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nodak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Kona One with an Aerotech Zenith and an RDM mast Reply with quote

Rigged my '07 Aerotech Zenith 7.4 with a 460 Backbone RDM (65/75 curves), Chinook carbon boom, Streamlined Carbon Extneion & Base. End result was a full-on slalom experience.

It was blowing 20 mph. Forget the "no downhaul" for a Zenith. I had lots of downhaul for a windy day. Only some outhaul. Had to tighten the tention on the bottom two battens.

My Zenith sat in the garage unused since '07. I like the sail a lot and had it since new, but it's very cheaply made. Try it with an RDM stiffer mast and it'll be a blast.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know that it rigs well on RDM.

"No downhaul" is only for non-planing or marginal winds. Downhaul has to increase with wind.
spennie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder: "No downhaul" is for...NEVER. Not a single sail designer or company recommends no downhaul for any conditions, ever. Some sails will work with SLIGHTLY LESS downhaul, but you adjust your power settings with outhaul, not downhaul. Insufficient downhaul will make your sail handle poorly by pulling from the top instead of down low, the way it was designed, and some less-informed sailors will mistake this tugging for more power, but you should always downhaul to factory specs then use the outhaul to fine-tune the way it feels.
Boardhead1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You actually control Power with down haul and out haul. Setting max down haul for lighter wind can kill the power of a sail no matter what you do with out haul. Not enough down haul in strong winds will make the sail heavy handed and not twist off top in the gusts. Rig to the manufactures specks for the wind strength. Then you can also look at adjustable out haul systems if you want to fine tune out haul on the fly. Hope this helps! Cheers!
nodak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also used a 39 cm fin. I was going so fast I was out of breath.

Anyone who's ever rigged a Zenith knows it can be downhauled with just one hand while holding the mast the other; it requires very little downhaul. Too much downhaul on a Zenith causes loss of tightness in the leech.

The point I was making is that I actually had to use a Chinook downhaul crank tool to get a lot of downhaul with my RDM Backbone. The sail worked great. It was one of those "huh" moments for me. A kind of inexpensive sail that can be even less money now that it's been out of production for several years.
spennie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "LOSS OF TIGHTNESS IN THE LEECH" IS THE DESIRED EFFECT!!!

Oh good lord, didn't anyone ever teach you how to rig sails properly? Sailworks has a "Rigging 101" video that's quite inexpensive, you should probably buy it. Bruce Peterson explains everything in the video, which applies to nearly every sail made today. Please, the reason you had such a good time & went so fast is that you accidentally rigged your sail properly!

Just for clarity: I've been windsurfing for 23 years, was an "Ambassador" for Neilpryde for 6 years, and have been a Teamrider for Sailworks for about 5. I really do know what I'm talking about![/i]

KevinDo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.aerotechsails.com/2010_rigging_guide.pdf

That's the rigging guide for 2010 Zenith. Seems like they manufacturer is ok with "minimal" downhaul for low winds. If it were my sail I'd rather go up a size and crank the downhaul to death lol.

-Kevin

swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that spennie could use a lesson in humility. Why put nodak on the spot?
nodak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was incorrect to imply loose leech to be a bad thing. More downhaul does make the leech loose just like the manual says. My leech was quite loose at the top and never tight anywhere. The Zenith rigging manual states to increase downhaul and outhaul for windy conditions, which is exactly what I did.

Last edited by nodak on Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
KevinDo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nodak wrote:
Yes, I was incorrect about tight leech. More downhaul does make the leech loose just like the manual says. My leech was quite loose at the top and never tight anywhere. The Zenith rigging manual states to increase downhaul and outhaul for windy conditions, which is exactly what I did.

Whoa whoa I'm not saying you are wrong! I'm just showing you that you did the right thing! As according to AeroTech!

Happy Sailing!
-Kevin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: