myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sail care question & newbie questions - Pictures inside
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghost1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Sail care question & newbie questions - Pictures inside Reply with quote

With some advice from people from this board I did purchase a brand new 2013 Fusion 6.7. I have only taken it out once but was very happy with the managable power it has. I have a RDM mast now and like the way it feels. I had a couple of questions:

1 - When switching from SDM to RDM, is it normal to have the luff sleeve a lot looser around the boom cut out? The sail is performing and I was assuming this looseness was from a skinnier mast

2 - My boom recomendation is 183cm. This does not leave a lot of room between the clew and the back of the boom. In lighter winds this worked fine (I did have to yank the sail a bit to get it to rotate), but in higher winds I feel like I may be overpowered. Is it ok to set the boom to 185 or a little higher in high winds?

3 - Even though this sail is new I noticed a couple crinkles in the monofilm after only rigging it 2 times and sailing it once. Is this normal? I hope I am just being paranoid - I've never owned near gear before - but I wasn't sure. I attached a couple of pictures

4 - For sailcare, I typically roll it up when leaving my launch on the grass. Then I take it into my garage at home and loosen it and let it dry standing up. Then I roll it up tight once dry. Is this ok? I attached a picture of how I typically leave it out to dry. I do not have a large area to lay it out and let it dry, and aftera a session I don't have a long time to leave it to let it dry.

These questiosn are pretty basic but I just want to take care of my new purchase and get the most out of it. I broke my last sail the other weekend and ruined my day, I don't want to go through that again.

Thank you!
Jon

Crinkle.jpg
 Description:
Is this normal wear or have I already damaged it?
 Filesize:  111.85 KB
 Viewed:  14710 Time(s)

Crinkle.jpg

Drying Out.jpg
 Description:
I lean it up against the wall to let it dry out.
 Filesize:  129.42 KB
 Viewed:  14710 Time(s)

Drying Out.jpg

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boom length specified assumes that you have exactly the right mast for the sail. A mast with even a slightly different bend curve will typically require a change in outhaul settings. So take the specs as the starting point, and adjust from there. Sounds like you'll need 185 cm, or even 187 in really strong winds.

Your sail care sounds great. If you are sailing on lakes, drying the sail completely as you do is probably a good idea so you don't get any mold. If you sailed salt water, drying the sail completely like you do would be overkill. Keep in mind that every rolling and unrolling can add wrinkles to monofilm. But monofilm will show wrinkles after the first uses, and more with time. What's on your picture is minor and no reason to worry.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't stress about the crinkles at this point, although if you can rig and de-rig your sail in a way that minimizes crinkling that will prolong its life. If a crinkle turns into a crack you can put clear packing tape on both sides of the sail covering the crack.

It's ok to outhaul a little beyond spec. Every boom is a little different, anyway, so +/- 2cm is within the margin of error. A good way to tell you need more outhaul is if the belly of the sail is touching the opposite side of the boom when you're sailing. Just don't go crazy with it, and don't forget that you can control power by adding downhaul as well as by adding outhaul. You should generally go to max downhaul before you resort to max outhaul as well.

Looser around the boom opening with an RDM is normal and ok.

VinceSF

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:
A good way to tell you need more outhaul is if the belly of the sail is touching the opposite side of the boom when you're sailing.

Everything you said in your post was right on, though perhaps an exception would be the part of the quote above.
the sail touching the boom is in fact a GOOD thing, what is not great if the sail is too baggy. Now you do mention the belly of the sail, and I am not sure what part of it is.
konajoe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a little sad that you bought a brand new sail and have to ask this forum for rigging advice. So, all it came with was dimensions? No rigging manual? Such a shame, since Sailworks and Ezzy, for example, have such great manuals.

Having dimensions only, is tough. Just for kicks and giggles, rig the sail with the booms at the top of the cutout. Then, without touching anything else, reposition the booms to the bottom of the cutout. Look at the difference in the sail shape!
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pack my sails dripping wet with fresh water, throw 'em in my van, and never see 'em again until the next time I rig them. Zero problems, minimum wear and hassle. They're all plastic, and would probably last forever if not used and uv-ed to death.

We rig for appearance, not centimeters. Pryde has videos for tuning them at
http://gallery.neilpryde.com/videos?c=2 .

Mike \m/
adywind

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many times not having enough downhaul is the cause for a baggy luff sleeve and difficult rotation. It could be a mast bend curve as well, but try more downhaul first - it will handle gusts better and make it feel lighter in transitions too.Crank the downhaul until the batten above the boom separates from the mast for stronger wind. Don't outhaul too much.Post a picture of it when rigged please and provide information about the mast.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinceSF wrote:
d0uglass wrote:
A good way to tell you need more outhaul is if the belly of the sail is touching the opposite side of the boom when you're sailing.

Everything you said in your post was right on, though perhaps an exception would be the part of the quote above.
the sail touching the boom is in fact a GOOD thing, what is not great if the sail is too baggy. Now you do mention the belly of the sail, and I am not sure what part of it is.

I would say for general blasting it would be better to have just slightly a little more outhaul to prevent the sail from touching the boom too much when powered up. Helps you get point easier upwind Very Happy I use an adjustable outhaul so it makes it easier to bag and flatten on the go!

OP, can you take a picture of your rigged sail and post it? Would make it easier to see what's going on! Also make sure to row up the sail as tight as possible!

-Kevin

Last edited by KevinDo on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
Having dimensions only, is tough. Just for kicks and giggles, rig the sail with the booms at the top of the cutout. Then, without touching anything else, reposition the booms to the bottom of the cutout. Look at the difference in the sail shape!

Unless you have a North sail, which has boom length markings for different boom height. The difference between top & bottom is pretty substantial - several cm less for a low boom. Which happens to be one reason why lowering the boom can increase control in high winds - you are effectively adding outhaul.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have someone hold the head of you sail when pulling your mast out. This will help you from getting those creases in the sail film. Each crease is a weak spot in the sail and can lead to a crack or split down the road. Most damage is caused rigging and de-rigging if proper care is not taken...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: