myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Weed fin review- Makani Hahalua 48cm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rangerider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Weed fin review- Makani Hahalua 48cm Reply with quote

Just used my new Makani Hahalua 48cm deep-Tuttle fin with my Ultrasonic board and Ezzy 9.5M lion in very-light/Marginal planing winds. I am very happy with this fin - it looks great and I didn't have to sand it to fit in the fin box which was nice. Fin is carbon/G10. From base to tip it is actually a bit longer than my Select slalom 57cm fin but is obviously much more swept than the pure slalom fin. It gets a bit wider below the base which I assume adds some extra surface area for planing.

Compared to the Select fin it sails very similar - slightly higher planing threshold but very, very close. Couldn't tell any difference in top end. Doesn't point as high so I had to slog upwind occasionally but this would not have been an issue with consistent wind. Biggest difference is that my lake gets weedy in mid summer and trying to sail with the slalom fin was hopeless - now I can sail without any thought to the weeds with very similar performance. Very pleased, just thought I would share.[/b]
KevinDo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Weed fin review- Makani Hahalua 48cm Reply with quote

rangerider wrote:
Just used my new Makani Hahalua 48cm deep-Tuttle fin with my Ultrasonic board and Ezzy 9.5M lion in very-light/Marginal planing winds. I am very happy with this fin - it looks great and I didn't have to sand it to fit in the fin box which was nice. Fin is carbon/G10. From base to tip it is actually a bit longer than my Select slalom 57cm fin but is obviously much more swept than the pure slalom fin. It gets a bit wider below the base which I assume adds some extra surface area for planing.

Compared to the Select fin it sails very similar - slightly higher planing threshold but very, very close. Couldn't tell any difference in top end. Doesn't point as high so I had to slog upwind occasionally but this would not have been an issue with consistent wind. Biggest difference is that my lake gets weedy in mid summer and trying to sail with the slalom fin was hopeless - now I can sail without any thought to the weeds with very similar performance. Very pleased, just thought I would share.[/b]

One of the sailors here at Cabrillo swears by his on his Starboard HWR formula board. Took a lot of persuasion and time to get him to try something else haha. Back when I was looking for fins I was interested in trying a hahalua as it was advertised as a "Slalom Weed Fin" but ended up getting a quiver of slalom fins from Select. Wouldn't mind trying a Makani though as I have heard great things about them. Just wish there was a local dealer! Just curious which model Select fin did you have for your US147? S1 Race? Formula?

-Kevin

Last edited by KevinDo on Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
rangerider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fin is a "Select Elite S1 Superfast Race". I would not have bought the Hahalua if I didn't have the weed issue. It is nice to have both. I'm curious how big of a sail will pair well with this fin. I bought the fin through wind-nc - Andy and crew give great service.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangerider wrote:
My fin is a "Select Elite S1 Superfast Race". I would not have bought the Hahalua if I didn't have the weed issue. It is nice to have both. I'm curious how big of a sail will pair well with this fin. I bought the fin through wind-nc - Andy and crew give great service.

Check out Makani's Fin Guide! Surprised that they got the domain for it.
http://www.finsguide.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: