myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mistral Equipe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completed one Oneill Classic with that 2 nylon washer setup, along with a single foot Gorge mast foot, in 1988. Yes, I was worried, but the Mistral red pin constantly wore out and popped off after about one month of sailing.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O'Neill Classic--sounds like fun. Nice times, those late 80's.

I've posted a photo of my old Mistral foot. Mine doesn't have a "red" pin. None of mine ever popped out either. Perhaps you had an earlier version that was later improved. A wear issue I experienced was at the bottom of the plastic swiveling piece that I've pointed out in the photo, though this did not cause the pin to pop out.

So the metal pin shown in the photo was red for yours?

Another wear point: the nylon washer below the cup is worn pretty thin on this one.

Mistral Foot.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.3 KB
 Viewed:  21963 Time(s)

Mistral Foot.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have had the newer, more volume version of the Equipe.
Mine was the red plastic plate, similar stainless pin, and the shoulders of the pin tended to get rounded with very little sailing, and released no matter which direction the mast foot was inserted.
Come to think of it, my version, on '86-89 Equipes, 195 liters, used a longer pin, possibly double notched.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Classics were never fun. I finished 3.
You start in very light breezes, barely planing dagger down and track forwards, usually 5.7 sail in those days for lightweights. You tack up to above S tower, usually in really light winds, triangle down to Blackhaller, the clouds disappear, the winds come up to 18 + for the second triangle down to Anita Rock, you reach across overpowered to Blunt, hit a no wind zone of less than 10 at the rounding, head down either below or above Alcatraz, round near CityFront, head back towards E Angel, usually now it's gusting to 34 mph, then down to TI in lessenning winds, and even less thru the gap to Berkeley's Pier.
All the while, some WorldCup clown thinks he's better than you, so goes all out and crashes or wobbles right in front of you, and after a couple crashes, even a few of the ladies get by, like Anick or Janice, and you KNOW you blew it bad, if they finish near your placing.
Totally embarrassing when even Rhonda somehow crawls by ahead of you, so you end up back at 4th woman's spot.
After the first Classic, no women beat me to the finish.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
You must have had the newer, more volume version of the Equipe.
Mine was the red plastic plate, similar stainless pin, and the shoulders of the pin tended to get rounded with very little sailing, and released no matter which direction the mast foot was inserted.
Come to think of it, my version, on '86-89 Equipes, 195 liters, used a longer pin, possibly double notched.

I originally had the '89 One Design, a nice board but heavy. Then when I saw they made the '90 Equipe the same shape but a whole lot lighter I traded up. Now that you mention it I do remember this was a bigger board than the original Equipe. I got caught up in the equipment upgrade cycle in early '90's hacking my way around race courses in New England until I decided to windsurf just for fun on short boards eventually.

Your Classic makes the Buzzards Bay Crossing seem like a walk in the park!
shreddbob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Franco, did you buy that Equipe? It seems like there are at least two versions of mast foot that were made. If you post a picture of the board we can probably tell you which one you need.

I don't know about shipping to Canada with customs and all...but if mine is the correct one you can have it, if the shipping makes sense. I wouldn't trust that old rubber joint, but you may be able to get the pin out of it and insert it into a new Chinook rubber hourglass joint, as enrniej mentions. I'd try gently heating the pin with a torch, careful not to melt the plastic swiveling piece, then grab the pin with vise grips and a piece of rubber (bicycle inner tube?). Or you could try boiling the whole thing in a pot of water (a pot you won't cook with any more) to heat things up without melting anything. Probably easier to get an RS-X pin though.
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mistral Equipe Reply with quote

ittiandro wrote:
I might buy a 2nd hand Mistral Equipe longboard probably dating back to the nineties. The only thing is I don't know if and how I can fit the new generation mastfoot from my Bic 293 OD to the old masttrack rail of the Mistral Equipe. Can it be done? How?

Thank you for any suggestions

Franco V.

Montreal, Canada

you should be able to build a mast foot, with this:

http://calema.com/shop/titanium-mistral-track-pin-for-mast-foot/

alternatively, I had them build me one back when I had my equipe a couple years ago. hope this helps.
ipwalsh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how the board companies abandoned the longboard design for 20 years and went with the less entry appropriate formula type boards with a giant fin. Not very beginner friendly since they didn't go upwind well until they were planing. Probably helped in loosing some popularity to the kitesurfers.
I still occasionally use my old Fanatic Ultra Cat in light winds just to cruise around and have fun. Lot more fun then using a 12m sail on a Formula board.
It's great now seeing some of the companies starting to go back to the long board concept. There is nothing like being fully powered up going into a jibe on a longboard or should I say freight train. Or, the fun of course racing with the big sailboats.

outhaul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ittiandro wrote:
I might buy a 2nd hand Mistral Equipe longboard probably dating back to the nineties. The only thing is I don't know if and how I can fit the new generation mastfoot from my Bic 293 OD to the old masttrack rail of the Mistral Equipe. Can it be done? How?

If it can be done this guy will know and have it for you. Knows these boards as well as anyone anywhere.

http://www.windpowerwindsurfing.com/
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, i old thread but just stumbled across this

http://nh.craigslist.org/sgd/4060274851.html

not sure how long the add will run for
used mistral mast base from oceancycles.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: