myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
US Windsurfing National Championships - Los Angeles, CA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spennie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look here, under Racing Regattas, then Results.

http://www.cbyc.org/race/results.htm

Sorry everyone, we know this is lame, but the yacht club has not been very forthcoming with the results, it's like pulling teeth. We're working on getting a better set of results on the Nationals website, but this will have to do until we can.

westadamsvets

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be interesting to know what sail/board/fin sizes people were using especially for the slalom.

In this photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/frenchyphoto/9496059965/sizes/l/

it looks like usa 882 is on a formula board!

Does the sensor still read high? The photos seem to show few white caps, while the 7 day history for cabrillo seems to average 20 for the duration of the event.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westadamsvets wrote:
It'd be interesting to know what sail/board/fin sizes people were using especially for the slalom.

In this photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/frenchyphoto/9496059965/sizes/l/

it looks like usa 882 is on a formula board!

Does the sensor still read high? The photos seem to show few white caps, while the 7 day history for cabrillo seems to average 20 for the duration of the event.

I believe the average wind is the lull line and the gusts lie somewhere between the blue an red lines on the chart.

cbknap

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the slalom was run in winds averaging 16-19 mph but there were big holes, esp. at the inside buoys. Plus on many days the wind was already dropping by the time they finished the Formula races and switched to slalom.

#882 is Al Mirel from the SF Bay and he did run three races on his formula board and a 9.5 until he was T-boned at a buoy, taking the brunt of the blow in his lower leg, which dampened his enthusiasm a bit.

Basically you could have free-sailed on a 7.0 during all of the slalom races but with some 25 sailors on the slalom line vacuuming all the air out of San Pedro a 7.0 was woefully inadequate (I know because I used one in the first three heats).

Most of the sailors were on 7.6/7.8 for the duration of the races and that worked OK depending on how fat you rigged the sail. Xavier Ferlet stayed on his NP 7.8 and Isonic 107 for all the slalom races and came in 3rd.

The fastest pros (Tyson Poor and Phil McGain) used 8.4/8.6 on a 110 liter slalom board with a 40 cm fin and they were basically unbeatable unless they made a mistake. Tyson had seven bullets and Phil had four.

That's definitely pushing the size limit for a 110; the average sailor bogs down in the turns with an 8.6 on a 110.

I had an 8.6 and a 130 liter board rigged on the grass so I ran up and retrieved it for the last two heats Thursday, when the wind was dropping fast. I had plenty of power to collect people down the straights but the 130 liter (78 cm) board was a huge chore to jibe around the buoys in the washing-machine chop. Twice I blew the task when I hit a crowd of stalled sailors leading to my only two missed jibes of the entire regatta.

To paraphrase Spiderman's Uncle Ben, with great power comes the need for great agility.

Overall a 7.8 sail and a board of 105-112 liters was probably the best call, unless, like Tyson and Phil, your skills are extraordinary.

Hats off to them and Xavier too.

--cbk
cbknap

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This pic by Dominik Huber shows 2nd buoy action in the final heat. Phil and Tyson have just rounded the 2nd mark while the pack struggles to plane away from the first buoy. Copyright by Dominik ...lots more at dominikhuber.photoshelter.com.

US311 at Nationals by Dominik.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  31.89 KB
 Viewed:  12610 Time(s)

US311 at Nationals by Dominik.JPG

BRIMAR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Sorry Daniel but These are pretty good too Reply with quote

http://dominikphoto.photoshelter.com/#!/index/G0000wuC7H_L9bFk/1

Wish I could've been there:-(

Here's a video of Cabrillo Racing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnmqsLPMkOc
Monikac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: US WIndsurfing Nationals-results Reply with quote

Hi Scott,
We are back in Corpus and everybody here is wondering when or if the class results will get posted???? Thanks for the great event, we enjoyed the cooler weather!
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They ARE posted!!! C'mon guys, at least look first!
cbknap

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spencer--what the people are politely asking for is the results of the age categories for Men's Slalom and Formula. The women were in a single class but men had youth, Men, Masters and Grandmasters. No way to calculate that from the overall slalom and formula results posted on both the Nationals site and the Cabrillo Beach Yacht Club site, unless you know everyone's birthdays. The organizers do have that info but it's not posted anywhere that any of us have found.
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll see what I can do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: