myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
US Windsurfing National Championships - Los Angeles, CA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alex for finding the document that everyone's been looking for all week. And thanks Spennie for bitching at everyone who was bitching about not being able to find said document.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only watched the Course and Slalom race for a little bit as I decided to go sailing on the inside. From what I can tell though, I heard Xavier's and Phil McGain's name a lot. Seems like the two are doing pretty good!

-Kevin
westadamsvets

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel's been getting some beautiful photos from the boat. It'd be awesome to get some video clips of the racers zooming by to put on youtube?

No need for a full PWA-style production, just a few clips would be neat.

I'm stuck overseas and would love to get a virtual dose of Cabrillo sailing and see some familiar faces.
dabull1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Daniel for the photogs, very cool! May try to wangel out of work a couple hours early manana and check out the scene. Just curious, if one shows up with cash, do the pros sell off gear so they don't have to pay to transport home, like sales reps at trade shows... HMMM.Does anyone know what's on the docket for tomorrow? Also, are any local talent out taking on the big boys and girls? Bull out!
soheilzahedi5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found some results here:

http://www.cbyc.org/race/results.htm

They have both the Formula and the Slalom results under Championship Regattas -> Windsurfer US Champs.

The slalom results are a bit problematic though. Some people that were standing next to me on the beach on Tuesday are listed as having results while at least one guy who was competing on Monday is listed as not having raced on that day at all. Also the Slalom results don't have their 2nd throwout credited (1 throw per 4 races per the sailing instructions).
windyman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here’s my update for Wednesday, day 3. Went mainly to see the freestyle planned for today. Got there in time to catch last of the long distance racers come in. That’s an hours long event for most people. From what I gathered, Phil McGain and Xavier Ferlet finished one and two, Phil by a good margin. Still, an excellent showing by Xavier for the local crew. Way to represent Xavier!

As for the freestyle, pretty much a bust. Not enough wind today for them. Wind was OK by our standards and late in the day, after 5, conditions improved to near 20 but not near shore where they need it to be. So I watched the group of about 5 pros practicing. Saw some impressive maneuvers, especially by Phil Soltysiak. Now, he was pulling off some incredible moves. Neat to see though sometimes had to pull the binoculars out. Looks like they will be out again tomorrow if conditions allow.

Tomorrow brings formula and slalom racing back so that should be exciting. I gotta say the course does look like it would be really fun to run. Hopefully wind will hold and give us another good day.
scott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current US Windsurfing competition winds have been incredibly consistent at Cabrillo Beach the winds will continue the next two days and we will get more course racing and slalom racing and possibly Freestyle completed. It looks good for that. Wind is 90% of an event. The rest will work its self out shortly. And they are completing the Events with some small issues that have been taken care of and any others will be taken care of soon. As an experienced organizer in the past of over 50 windsurfing events 3 California Tours, 1 National Tour, I know what's going on. Never sell anything short.

And my advice is to be patient, be insistent on your needs and improvement of any windsurfing event and be grateful. Grateful that it IS happening, for it can easily go away and not come back. I'm taking note of the windsurfing competitors that are doing very well and the ones that are very grateful for the help they see from all the Volunteers and paid people in this Event and that is good, very good for all of us to be. /

Good people are good for the Sport because who wants to volunteer to do things with and for people they don't like? Personally, I'm having a great time meeting and talking with competitors and their spouses or friends from all over the World at the 2013 US Windsurfing National Championships and I and a lot of others of us are grateful they are happening here at Cabrillo Beach in San Pedro. (Surprising many who didn't know it was consistently windy here)

The Nationals' is indicative one part of the State of the Art of Windsurfing Competition in the US and imo, it needs some serious examination from top to bottom. There are a lot more details to it than what is here. But for now this will do.

The St Francis Yacht Club in San Francisco has organized windsurfing event for years and they are the most experienced Yacht Club to do so. They are a prime example of what can be done FOR Windsurfing.
One aspect of windsurfing that is necessary IS to encourage MORE Yacht Clubs to host and learn to organize Windsurfing National's, like the Cabrillo Beach Yacht Club, who has bravely stepped forward and has spent a great deal of money and effort to help make this Event a success and they are succeeding at it. Locally, thank them for it!

Because Windsurfing NEEDs Yacht Club Sponsorship and Organization for these Events. Why?

Because of the following example:
I like the way the industry came together with the AWT and I can only say right now, is it's because of their Director Samantha Bittner. However, even their Tour is very limited financially because of no outside of the industry sponsors. Yacht clubs can't organize wave sailing events either.

On the other hand, why doesn't US Windsurfing have the industry and Yacht Clubs collected and organized better around it's Racing regatta's and Event schedules, especially their flagship event, The Nationals?
I don't know the answer to that detailed question from their view.
But I do know that All issues can easily be fixed with 1) Money 2) Time 3) Experience 4) Practice 5) Support 6) Trust with knowledge and communication.
The Key, then is how to achieve it. That is the next step.

Here's some local publicity secured besides the press release I wrote posted on the CBYC website: http://photos.dailybreeze.com/2013/08/photos-u-s-windsurfing-national-championships/
capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windyman wrote:
OK, here’s my update for Wednesday, day 3. Went mainly to see the freestyle planned for today. Got there in time to catch last of the long distance racers come in. That’s an hours long event for most people. From what I gathered, Phil McGain and Xavier Ferlet finished one and two, Phil by a good margin. Still, an excellent showing by Xavier for the local crew. Way to represent Xavier!

Even more impressive is that Xavier broke his harness line 5 minutes into the long distance race.
cptn_picard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daily Breeze in Pedro posted some nice photos.
http://photos.dailybreeze.com/2013/08/photos-u-s-windsurfing-national-championships/#1
KevinDo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
windyman wrote:

Even more impressive is that Xavier broke his harness line 5 minutes into the long distance race.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: