myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
US Windsurfing National Championships - Los Angeles, CA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spennie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See reply to dogalone above.
windchamp2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting no results for the competitors is like playing a championship basketball game and not keeping score. Good on you for hosting the event but run the event correctly for the fairness to all competitors.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windchamp2 wrote:
Posting no results for the competitors is like playing a championship basketball game and not keeping score. Good on you for hosting the event but run the event correctly for the fairness to all competitors.

I believe he is only running the website and not the actual event.
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windchamp2: If you were there & racing you would know what was going on. Since you're not, that raises the question of Who are you to criticize people who have been working tirelessly for MONTHS, for FREE, to bring you the Nationals? Not me, but my wife Debi and the Race Director, Peter Bonello, have donated many weeks of work; I just helped design the graphics and have been trying to answer questions here as best I can.

That being said, the Cabrillo Beach Yacht Club is closed Monday & Tuesday, and staff wasn't on hand to compile the results. We should have results today, and Debi will post them as soon as she can.

allen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mother and her small son came up to me all excited yesterday in the parking lot at Cabrillo and started asking about the races. They had never seen racing before at Cabrillo and wanted to know if it was a special event etc. I told them to check out the freestyle event if they got a chance. When the asked me when the freestyle was taking place I said I didn't know. The women said oh I'll just google it and get the schedule. At that point I just laughed and said good luck.
loopless

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allen wrote:
A mother and her small son came up to me all excited yesterday in the parking lot at Cabrillo and started asking about the races. They had never seen racing before at Cabrillo and wanted to know if it was a special event etc. I told them to check out the freestyle event if they got a chance. When the asked me when the freestyle was taking place I said I didn't know. The women said oh I'll just google it and get the schedule. At that point I just laughed and said good luck.

As the noted above, when you have events that require a wind-minimum NO-ONE knows when it will run. The race director has to make a call on the day, and during the day things can change. Being a participant in events like this can be frustrating with a lot of waiting around but that's the way it is.
If this was the gorge, with reliable wind and wind prediction it would be different. But its flaky So-California wind. So give them a break.
allen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me, someone associated w/the Nationals has a plan. They may not be able to execute their plan due to the fickle nature of the wind, but they still have an idea of how they would like to schedule events. The plan could be something like, Formula on Monday, Slalom on Tues, Long Distance and Freestyle on Wed. If this was posted somewhere then people interested in watching would at least have an idea when to try and go down there. Not posting anything resembling a rough schedule seems perverse.
alexw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Schedule Reply with quote

allen wrote:
Believe me, someone associated w/the Nationals has a plan. ... Not posting anything resembling a rough schedule seems perverse.

I googled it and found it: http://www.cbyc.org/race/reports/windsurf_pr.pdf

Easy.
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"But I'll repeat myself,
At the risk of being rude"

Who are you to criticize people who have been working tirelessly for MONTHS, for FREE, to bring you the Nationals?

windyman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I’ve been attending everyday and watching from the beach. Normally, I sail Cabrillo near 100 days per year and I’ve been a top 5 competitor every year in the Enduro. Sadly, I’m relegated to spectator this year. Here’s a summary of my experience.
• Sunday, a large group out on the water practicing. Exciting to see so many sails on the water. Probably over 30 people out.
• Monday, first day of slalom racing. Conditions were good, we had wind around 22 mph and sunny and clear skies. I missed the formula racing which got under way quite late due to wind minimums and unfortunately pushed back the slalom racing and so made for some unhappy slalom racers watching the best winds of the day go by. Fortunately, it was a late blow that day and wind held fairly strong til late. Made for some good racing action. Since I know most of the competitors it was really fun spectating. Exciting to see them hit that first buoy and all the pile-ups and the mess it created. Must have been some real stressful moments out there for those that had to right themselves and get going again. They ran 4 races for the men and 4 right after for the women. Only 5 women racing. Unbelievably, they had to throw out the first race for the men which was a shame as it looked like a valiant effort by the racers and some hard racing wasted due to (I’m not sure) what seemed to be lack of coordination with the finish line boat.
• As for results, none were announced or posted. But from my view, looked like the Phil McGain and the group of pros took the first 5 spots most of the time with our own pro Xavier taking one of the top 5 most of the time. Amazing to see Phil’s consistency.
• Tuesday. Attended Phil’s race clinic in the morning. Pleasant and informative session. Lots of race wisdom there so a real treat for a Cabrillo/San Pedro guy to get to be on my lowly beach with a big name pro. That was cool.
• So, came back to beach to catch the start of slalom racing again in late PM. This cool weather were having is making for more spring like conditions and we’re getting lots of late day wind. Anyway, wind looked a little stronger than Monday and more consistent. There were definetly holes in the wind yesterday and some (dang it!) right at the first buoy. But today seemed better and more filled in. The racing action was even better than yesterday, but that might be due to having powerful binoculars with me today. The race starts looked intense and again looks like there were many over the line so not sure how the racing was tallied. Again, no results sooo…
• Tuesday, was a similar day to Monday, clear sunny, warm and wind til late. Race results for slalom looked about the same to me with a bit more intrusion into the top 10 by the local crew. It still looks to me like race leaders were fairly consistent; Phil McGain, Tyson Poor, and the traveling band of freestyle pros. Amazing to see the freestyle guys kick ass in racing. Xavier also in there most of the time and he seems to having a good go but probably not as good as he’d like.
• Today, Wednesday, I’ll be going down to see the freestyle trickery which should be pretty awesome to see going on at my beach. Can’t say enough how cool it is to be hosting such an event here!

Now for some criticism. Again, it is just my view and I don’t know squat. AND, I’m very sorry for the rant because the event so far has been a real pleasure to experience and likely won’t be back here again.

The big surprise for me was how much less organized the event is than our yearly Enduro. Frankly, I expected a more professional experience and it seemed less well run than our races. I know it is very hard to organize and put on this event and don’t want to diminish the efforts of those that put in all that hard work. However, I would think that the organizing body, I think US Windsurfing? Would have brought more resources to bear so that it isn’t left just to whatever a volunteer group could muster. I think that the event should have somehow benefited from the collective experience of the past Enduro races. I mean I heard at the skippers meeting some of the same excuses for race issues that we had in the early Enduros and that we eventually got right.

Well, sorry again for that but I do think the Enduro races are a much better overall experience. More stuff going on at the beach in terms of announcing and results and in terms of equipment displays and vendor booths and in race organization. However, it should be said that the race course itself looks way more exciting than the Enduro. The downwind slalom race around a series of buoys looks much more fun than the lame round and round figure 8 for the Enduro. Also, the Nationals don’t shut down at 5pm like the Enduro has to and can benefit from the frequent times when the wind blows late. So perhaps since the races have gone way past 6pm each day maybe we could get the Enduro to last longer, to get more racing in, and to get rid of the figure 8!

So far, the beach experience has been pretty low key. Now that might all change today as we get ready to put on the freestyle show. I can tell by looking around at some of these young surfer looking dudes - the freestyle pros hanging around the beach lately, that it should be really good. It’s refreshing to see such talented young blood out there instead of us old farts all the time!

I will update the experience after I get back from the beach. Now off to the show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: