myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
slipping out of footstraps
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgomez

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: slipping out of footstraps Reply with quote

I keep slipping out of my front footstrap when planing and im not too sure wats wrong...i try curling my toes upwards but im sure im doing something wrong here.
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need a lot more info.

Wearing booties?
Factory pads on the board?
Factory straps?
How do you have them? Toes only or entire foot?
Are the sides (not tops) snug against your foot?

I run mine "wavesailing style" which is foot all the way in, sides snug with room above my foot. And I can't say my feet slip out.

This also assumes you have a proper stance....
rgomez

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im barefeet and using factory straps...i dont think its a strap issue it just feels like the board is going a lot faster than me causing me to be left behind
JamesHardy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: slipping out of footstraps Reply with quote

rgomez wrote:
I keep slipping out of my front footstrap when planing and im not too sure wats wrong...i try curling my toes upwards but im sure im doing something wrong here.

You are not doing anything wrong, it's just the learning curve keep trying the same thing over and over and you will figure it out. That was the best part of windsurfing, before i got old and jaded!
rgomez

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it cld be a cple of things and i probably should correct all of them
1. My toes im guessing shld be pressed on the board
2. I shld also shove my feet deeper in the strap instead of just toes
3. I cld also try tightening the straps.
4. Maybe my stance before crashing went wrong

R there any points i could have missed?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try lowering your boom a bit. if that's not the issue, try down hauling your sail some more. getting pulled out of the front strap means either. if your front leg is bent, then the boom has become too low. either or both may be required. lowering your center of effort is the key.

odds are you will feel more balanced and able to upwind better with more down haul.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
johnl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgomez wrote:
I think it cld be a cple of things and i probably should correct all of them
1. My toes im guessing shld be pressed on the board
2. I shld also shove my feet deeper in the strap instead of just toes
3. I cld also try tightening the straps.
4. Maybe my stance before crashing went wrong

R there any points i could have missed?

It sounds like you are describing your feet slipping out the back of the straps while the board leaves you? Not being pulled forward out of the straps right?

What size board? Straps inboard or out on the rails?

IF your straps are inboard then I would snug them on the sides (nobody says you have to use the same holes on each side of the straps). Stick your foot in BUT leave the top loose enough that you can twist your foot sideway.

If they are on the outboard then most go with only the toes showing and the straps snug.

The question is your stance. Is your rig vertical or are you pulling it over? Boom height and harness lines come into play here.
rgomez

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My board is a funster 180 and my straps are inboard with my front foot facing the mast base...should i be twisting it forward?

This usually happens when im overpowered but it happens so fast its tough to figure out wats really happening but it feels like im being left behind.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be harnessed in and driving the board forward, in which case it can't leave you behind. There's something else going on. Many people sail/sailed without footstraps, and their front foot is driven/driving forward, not towards the rear. Locking your feet to the board via tight straps is an injury waiting to happen, especially with a novice's propensity to crash unexpectedly.

We've had other threads on this before. You might use the SEARCH function for them for solutions or insights.

Mike \m/
adywind

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably leaning back with your shoulders when trying to resist the pull of the sal and thus getting out of balance and falling from the back of the board. Try slouching down, pulling down on the boom with bent arms instead. Also tighten your abdomen and crouch a bit when the gust hits you. You are sailing with inboard straps so sail more "wave" style -more centered over the board and make your foot straps wide enough to get half of your foot in. Here is an article to present you this in a more professional way: say ASS Wink
http://www.guycribb.com/userfiles/documents/GetLow.pdf

Last edited by adywind on Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: