myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Avi the kite board hero

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bones2wind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Avi the kite board hero Reply with quote

Thursday July 18th I was windsurfing at the Hatchery on a fairly windy day. On the south side of the river I missed my jibe and my board and sail took off eastward towards Wells Island. For half an hour I swam after my rig and could not catch it. I was in the process of swimming to the south shore when a goggled, muscular, middle aged male kiteboarder asked if I need help. I said yes could he possibly help me. He told me to hold on to his harness and he body dragged us nearly half a mile eastward where he deposited me on the shallow sandy bar and he went after my board. I walked on the bar till I met him patiently waiting with my rig. I asked how I could repay such a helpful and generous deed and he said to repay in kind to a kite boarder in need. As he was now ready to resume kiteboarding I had to ask, "What is your name masked man?". He replied, "Avi" and as his board went into the air he pointed to his name on the bottom of his board, "Avi". To me that day he was "Avi the kite board hero". Thanks Avi, now I need to find a kite boarder that would benefit from my help.
mogunn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brothers and sisters of the wind ... that's what it's all about!
Great post!

Tidewater

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Good Job, AVI! Reply with quote

Thanks for the great update on AVI. AVI is wanted in several countries for many misdoings and now that we have his whereabouts he will be dealt with by the authorities appropriately!

No, seriously, Way to Go AVI. You're a hero.

A couple years ago my windsurf buddies and I were trying to get a fellow windsurfer with a concussion back to shore in hypothermic waters. Despite all our efforts of towing him half way in, it was the kiter that had the right set up to tow him the rest of the way.
loosescrew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Avinator strikes again...... he is only a hero in his own mind. Middle age - hmmmmm really...... muscular - yep that's Avi. Nice!
SamD0g

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Avi the kiteboard hero Reply with quote

Avi, you are such a great guy. But, we knew that. It was a pretty gnarly day. I've seen windsurf rigs take off that way. If the sail falls on the board and stays there it can get pretty ugly. Now, if you could just stop driving women wild with lust and longing life would be perfect ! It must be the muscles.
Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip for next time someone loses or breaks their gear or body on the south side of the Hatch (or Doug's); take a hike. it's shallow, easy, sandy walking for a mile. And, yes, stringboards are far better rescue vehicles than poleboards.
GuyT

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great storie, bones2wind, and great nickname. Wink
avi852

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: NO HERO!!! Reply with quote

Hi bones2wind.

Just happy you made it back safe and sound. I am sure any kiter or windsurfer would have done the same. The problem was you were at no man land and not easy to spot. In the future if you are in distress, please wave your arms to any passing windsurfer or kiter – I guarantee you they will come to your help.

Isobars: I would not recommend to anybody to try and climb the railroad bare footed!!!! Just wave to a fellow wind junkie – We are all here to have fun and support each other.

Lets hope for more wind. I may be clear to windsurf again in ten days or so.

All the best

Avi Cohn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: