myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best gear for Neds
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madsci3#

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Best gear for Neds Reply with quote

I have been windsurfing for several years mostly around Boston (Pleasure Bay and Boston Harbor). The gear I have is fairly large: 148L Techno, 7.5 and 8.5 Retros. The gear worked well for me (6'4" 230lb) in the up and down conditions around Boston. We just moved into a house off the beach at Neds, and this will be the spot I mostly ride from now on. Went out today and got ass handed to me. I didn't feel overpowered, but it was the massive chop and waves that made the ride uncontrollable. Sheeting in led to speeds that inevitatably resulted in crashing, especially going out against the waves. For anyone familliar with the spot, what two- board combination would offer the best slalom type/bump and jump performance covering the conditions commonly found there?..considering my size, weight and the large chop/waves. Thanks.
SuzieQ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! The western side of Buzzrad's Bau gets some great thermals and in sunny, dry conditions can be the best sailing around.
If I windsurf would ever get the meter back up and running, you would have a better idea of wind conditions! However, the wind inside is often much less than wind 1/4 mile out, so looking at the West Island buoy and B. Bay buoy, or if Jan is out first, judging from that.
High tide at Neds is probably the worst condition for chop, so I am sure you had your hands full. It was more like 5.0 conditions today!
PM me and I can give you more info and again, welcome!
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are surf sailing, or even having to go out thru the surf to blast around out in open ocean swells, you will want to seek out sails with rod battens. tube battens crunch and snap when tossed about in the wash.

are you getting engulfed by oncoming white water in the surf? don't hook in until you are planing, and in at least the front strap. for that matter, try to keep the nose up when you are about to meet a steep wave, foaming or not.

watch some videos for surf sailing. i use a 7.5 phantom quite often in waves with an X-Wave 111. or, a long board. if the wind is stronger, i may be on the X-Wave all the way down to a 4.7 charge. if the wind speeds and direction are right, i may be on my Exo-Wave 105 Pro, or 91 X-Wave.

212 lbs, surf sailing for decades.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
jkrouwer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, board volume is a big factor in chop - so you need a board with less volume when the wind picks up. I was at Ned's yesterday and started with a 5.7 on a 101L board - I weight 150 - and when the wind got stronger I switched to a 5.0 on a 76L board, which worked great.
jkrouwer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More thoughts - There are no waves at Ned's - only chop and swells. You should always be "sheeted in." When going out and a swell is in front of you, you can jump it, or head upwind which slows you down so you ride over the swell not planing, or head downwind in which your speed increases but you miss the swell. You can also sail further out where there is less chop, but if you break down, you'll have a really bad day.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone tell me where you launch at Neds Point? I'm looking at Google maps and all I see are homes. Is it by something called Cedars property? Looks like only a short drive from New Bedford.

I can't deal with the traffic on the Cape in the summer.

Thanks
Madsci3#

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I think smaller boards are the ticket Smile
DeanWithrow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slinky, in case you haven't found it yet:
http://tinyurl.com/lqqts86

Madsci, Ned's is notorious for it's light wind and crazy chop near the launch. In the "normal" SW winds, slog out at least 1/4 mile for a steadier breeze, then head upwind to for smoother water. When you're comfortable enough to do so, sailing beyond Angelica point is heaven on earth... I would recommend a life jacket and whistle for any sailing out in the bay.

Welcome to Ned's! Very Happy

wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dean! I'll check it out soon I hope!
shreddbob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeanWithrow wrote:
Slinky, in case you haven't found it yet:
http://tinyurl.com/lqqts86

Madsci, Ned's is notorious for it's light wind and crazy chop near the launch. In the "normal" SW winds, slog out at least 1/4 mile for a steadier breeze, then head upwind to for smoother water. When you're comfortable enough to do so, sailing beyond Angelica point is heaven on earth... I would recommend a life jacket and whistle for any sailing out in the bay.

Welcome to Ned's! Very Happy

And if you go really far upwind and WAY out you might find me at the infamous "Green Buoy". This is Nye Ledge (Bell Buoy labeled #!) on the charts and it's too far to be out if you ever break down...but the swells are nice on an incoming tide. I really should have a marine radio with me when I'm out there. I discovered this spot on my 3.7 on a very windy September day with WSW wind. It was just like the Gorge out there with huge rolling swells...that was my best Buzzards sailing day ever.

TIP: If going out late in the day at Ned's, have a floaty board so you can slog back thru the ever growing windless zone on the inside. After 5:00 the slog line moves out to 2/3 the way to Angelica Point. So the "smaller board to deal with chop" rule gets superseded by this rule late.

---------------------------

Gorge Update: Swell City today was awesome, huge swells, 3.4/3.0 Very Happy
Back to MA next week...see everyone soon at Ned's I hope.
will have to find my weed fins though Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: