myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Going smaller
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JP Super X is 86 Litres, and 57 cm wide. That is too big for you. Stick with a modern (post 2007) FSW from JP, Fanatic, RRD, Starboard, or Tabou.

Do some research on Boards digital magazine and Old windsurfing mags., choose carefully, figure out exactly what you want in a board and try to test drive one.

http://boards.mpora.com/equipment-tests/tested-equipment/wave-small-freestylewave.html

KMF
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edoremus- Both those boards are great deals and you'd probably be happy with either one. If speed and high jumping are your thing then the SuperX would be better, but if waves and carving are your thing then the Amigu would be worth the longer wait and the drive to Maine.

Powered 5.5 conditions are probably where you'll make the switch between your Carve 101 and your 80-something board. Be sure it's windy enough that you'll be able to consistently waterstart because it will be close to impossible to uphaul such a small board.

edoremus337

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the input everyone. I definitely have a bit to figure out, as the past two posts completely butt ends. I am going to be doing more freeride than wave riding, so the SuperX is my first choice at this point. But I am still looking into some FSW boards. If I am going to spend money, I want it to be for the right thing! Keep the suggestions coming!
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JP SuperX is 82 l, see picture. I think JP made the 82 in 2004 and 2005, and switched to 86 l in 2006. The board might be 2004 or 2005.

James Douglass' advice is spot on, as usual. The JP is great for speed and for bump and jump, but the Angulo would be a better choice for waves. The Super X was not as one-dimensional oriented towards speed and flat water as the later SuperSports are, since Super X races required that the competitors did loops or vulcans as part of the course.

JP82.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  263.56 KB
 Viewed:  9767 Time(s)

JP82.png

edoremus337

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
The Super X was not as one-dimensional oriented towards speed and flat water as the later SuperSports are, since Super X races required that the competitors did loops or vulcans as part of the course.

That sounds like an awesome race. Sounds like the perfect board for me, I'm trying to learn how to forward loop but mostly do flatwater sailing in the bay. Thanks a lot for all your input everyone, as always you are all a great help!
kmf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh yes....chasing the best deal.....

Buying the best deal in sailboards is not always the best investment. Beware of modified boards, they are worth ZERO $ for resale. Do you really want a race board?

KMF
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your thoughts on low--$$, may be entirely different than mine.

If you give serious consideration to RESALE value, you would most likely never buy any board.

for 80--85Liters the board from what I gather you want would indeed be a FSW
or FSW :: wave oriented board , that would have a tendency to plane in 2013.

shipping a $200 board for 100 bucks makes no sense to me.

year 2000--2002-3 is one era $75--350

from 2004--2007-8 is another $ 75--300--500

from 2008-- $300--800

newer than say 2010 , you need to consider if they were sold for a year old deal at say 1500 or less, and why pay 1000 when you could get a new one for a few hundred more.

If in doubt I average the price from comparable boards at Windance consignment and those listed on the buy and sell section here to arrive at a median price.

The overall package, as a good fin and good footstraps , board bag, would all enhance the purchase potential.

I would not limit myself to just the Starboard, RRD or JP boards, but the real key is the budget amount

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
If you give serious consideration to RESALE value, you would most likely never buy any board.

shipping a $200 board for 100 bucks makes no sense to me.

If the board is especially well suited to one's needs and the price is good, $100 is inconsequential. One of my very favorite scalpels cost $90 from Windance, and would have been worth hundreds for shipping if I lived farther away.

The only time I consider resale value is when I'm uncertain about the performance of a board I'm gambling on. If I think I can get my money back or maybe even make a few bucks for my hassle, the gamble goes towards zero. On one such recent gamble, my ROI -- profit divided by cost -- was 733%, and both of us got good deals.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find no board that costs $90 that would be well suited to MY needs or wants.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edoremus337 wrote:
I am going to be doing more freeride than wave riding, so the SuperX is my first choice at this point.

JP says the SuperX is NOT for waves. It is a specialized board dedicated to speed but with a nod to jibing, which sounds almost the opposite of your stated B&J/waves objectives. I'm a firm believer in user-friendliness unless one knows for a fact that he wants a niche board and doesn't care about its sacrifices. I even narrowed down my 80-ish JP FSW search to one particular year which emphasized turning and ride quality more than other years did. IMO, putting speed ahead of everything else is for racing more than playing. I also blow right by many faster hulls on my wave boards simply because their rider is unwilling to open the throttle in rough water.

Caveat Emptor.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: