myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Do they still make "bump & jump" boards ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philodog wrote:
Stay away from any wave specific board. They are designed specifically for waves (and regardless of what other posters think there are no waves in the Gorge) and have severe drawbacks to lawnmower sailing.

I -- and Boards Magazine at great length -- disagree vehemently with avoiding wave boards for anything resembling Gorge B&J sailing, BAF or not. I have owned >30 wave boards, and own and use a couple of dozen of them right now, as I consider them ideal for just about any Gorge sailing other than racing, freestyle, or just cruising. One caveat: the slightly older (≤2008), slightly narrower (by a couple of cm) wave boards are significantly faster, smoother riding, and slashier at speed in rough water than most newer ones, again according to me and Boards. The Evo, in particular, is one rough, harsh, hairy, even risky ride when powered up in chop. The only drawback I've noticed in those wave boards for dedicated straight line BAFfing in rough Gorge water is their reduced planing power, and they make up for much of that in the turns. My wave boards often blast past BAF boards just because my wave boards remain comfortable and predictable at speeds in ruff $#!+ that beats many other boards and their riders to bits. BAF-only boards also prefer much smoother water for jibing than wave boards do.

Victor, I, and many other silver-haired sailors demand those older wave boards not because WE'RE old, but because our KNEES are old ... and because they are fantastic Gorge boards.

As for waves in the Gorge, it's not a matter of what people think; it's up to the marine science textbooks.
daviddk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Bloviater bloviates.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thousands of hours of first hand experience on wave boards in the Gorge plus extensive and very detailed analysis by Boards Magazine is not bloviation.

Of your dozen posts, only two even tried to contribute anything regarding WSing. How about you share some of your vast knowledge rather than just crapping in our punchbowl?
WutUpWitU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to the OP,
no they don't. not like you are looking for.
'bump & jump' boards in the gorge used to be a cross between wave & slalom
now they are a cross between wave & freestyle,
not the same thing at all, not even close.

not saying which is better for what, just saying they are really different these days.
good luck on the hunt.
jsampiero

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone who happens to have a pocket wave 80... sitting unridden... while he drinks beer and eats cheese overseas...

but he likes it so much it ain't goin' for less than $1200!

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ascott72
Check yer PM's

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When people send PM sales pitches to avoid public comment, caveat emptor.

Yesterday's swap meet saw several incredible Gorge B&J/bash & slash/high-flying/fast/chop-eating wunderboards shaped by some of the world's best shapers. They were good enough for Goya, Pritchard (pick one), Nelson, Polakow, Foote, Crichton, Thommen, Gnigler, and many more such names just 5 years ago, they're good enough for any of us hacks now, and they have advantages in Gorge chop lacking in many of today's boards.

Mint-looking Goya wave (a fantastic high-performance "Gorge board", right up there with the Maui Project Wave, IMO) + 3 perfect MFC fins + great bag went unsold at $200 OBO. Great looking OO, for the more-laid-back sailor, was still unsold @ $350 OBO when I left. Perfect-sized Naish Waves, RRDs, Newwaves, JPs, among many other great Gorge boards, sat there unsold at $25-$150 'cause everybody thinks the world's best shapers and riders were idiots just 5-10 years ago.

The two boards that had people lined up to buy even before prices were posted were Gorge Animal Bonzers, a really nice California (the best ones) glass board for 5.0 to 3.0 conditions and a bigger immaculate Tuttle-boxed total custom with deep V for making chop disappear. Jaws dropped and at least one temper flared when the first guy in line snapped them up at $20 ... for the pair.

I have no sympathy for new-board-snobs who want high performance specialized boards ideal for powered-up Gorge sailing, complain about the price of new boards, yet walk past mind-numbing deals like that. Ya gotta look past the sales pitches, skip lunch for a day or a week to free up the big bucks required, and gamble that maybe those and other shapers and world champs weren't idiots after all.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no salesman. Just a really happy customer!
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
When people send PM sales pitches to avoid public comment, caveat emptor.

ascott72 wrote:
I was sailing around off of Wells island over the 4th of July weekend having fun but definitely getting smacked around by the chop. This got me thinking that I could use a board with some double concaves and deeper vee. Something around 85 liters, good for gybing and jumping, smooth in high winds. I am more of a lawn mower than a swell surfer - and I certainly don't do and of those flippy tricks that I don't even know the names for Smile

I am sure if I went to one of the custom manufacturers like Open Ocean they could make me a board like that for $1500+/-. But it got me thinking that the big manufacturers have stopped making this category.

Well since ascott72 never checked his PM's and isoparanoid thinks I'm out to sell somebody something he doesn't want, here's what I PM'd ascott72:

Here's my 8'4" 95ltr OO with a Ezzy 5.2 Panther Ltd in action at Rio Vista doing some lawn mowing and a little jumping. My jibes suck because I'm outta shape and haven't sailed or done anything else in 3 months. Anyway, I love my OO's. 8'2" 80ltr, 8'4" 95ltr and 8'6" 120ltr (the 3 shown together on the website)
It' sounds like you're ready for one. My only regret is I didn't get one 20 years ago.
Happy sailing!
Ron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifZjciFB5Es

westender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're all good boards. There are deals too good pass up at the swaps. Support the local builders. Love being able to take my OO's to the shop for a tune up. After 15 years of use, that could be expected.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: