myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Oahu Windsurfing lesson recommendations?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crashpile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Oahu Windsurfing lesson recommendations? Reply with quote

Aloha,
I am an intermediate windsurfer hoping to visit Kailua, HI this summer. I sail in the Columbia Gorge, but not terribly well yet. I wonder about recommendations for lessons for my ability. My girlfriend is a beginning sailor and will like lessons too. Also, wondering about accommodations too, to be honest. We are flying standby and hoping to stay near Kailua, where my buddy lives. Thanks in advance for advice.
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no hotels on the Kailua side, it's wonderful. You will have to rent a house or stay at a B&B. Try VRBO for places to rent here:

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/hawaii/oahu/east-oahu/kailua

If it is too expensive in Kailua Kaneohe is just around the point. Lanikai is more expensive but right next to Kailua Beach. If you stay in town you are looking at a 20+ min commute from Honolulu.

Naish has a shop in Kailua not far from the beach where you can rent & get lessons.

http://www.naish.com/zcart/index.php?main_page=page&id=16&chapter=0

Kailua is a great place for beginners & intermediates. I'm a little biased towards Kailua because it is my parents home town. Great place for a quiet vacation.

Coachg
nodak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to take a lesson from a fellow named Shawn at Naish in Kailua in about a week weather permitting and all. So feedback is forthcoming.

I inquired if Naish offers lessons elsewhere on the island such as Diamond Head and received the following reply: "...if the price is right." I'm hoping I can also get a lesson at Diamond Head.
elguapo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy your lesson with Shawn! He always delivers outstanding customer service. I've been buying all my gear from him since I moved here in 2003.
crashpile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing in Kailua Reply with quote

Just got back from awesome Hawaii. We had only a day of tradewinds and windsurfing but no complaints. We sailed in Kailua, meaning a 5 minute drive, rigged on the grass, meaning a 3 minute carry, and everyone was great. The launch was shared between kiters and windsurfers, and it seemed very peaceful. The local folks were very helpful with suggestions and tips. Eddie,in particular, helped me and my girlfriend during and after our time on the water. The Naish shop was very friendly too. Mahalo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: