myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How's AC going to work out @ Crissy now?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpf18

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: How's AC going to work out @ Crissy now? Reply with quote

After all the back&forth, it looks like the AC72 racing is getting serious after all. So how's it going to work out @ Crissy now? Looking at the AC calendar
http://cdn.sparkart.net/americascup/content/documents/AC_Schedule_JUL4-SEP2013_V8.pdf
my understanding is that through July, the challengers race at 12:15 and Oracle get access to no later than 14:30 ("def access"). With that, August days will run through 15:00 or 16:00.
So, disregarding wind limits, does this mean there will be no AC action in July after 2:30pm? August accordingly through 3pm or 4pm?
andydavis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the new wind limit is 20 knots for July, 21 for August and 23 for September...so we can hope racing on the windier days will simply be cancelled.
Riptide

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The restricted zone on the water will be lifted by 4pm at the latest.

They will open up the course 6 minutes after the last boat has rounded the last mark of the last race of the day.

The Coast Guard will broadcast a Marine Security notice on Channel 16 notifying mariners of the restricted zone being lifted.

Postings will be announced in real time on Twitter: @americascupLIVE

The racing schedule is here:

http://noticeboard.americascup.com/wp-c ... -70613.pdf

Commentary is broadcast on channel 20.
jpf18

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andydavis wrote:
the new wind limit is 20 knots for July, 21 for August and 23 for September...so we can hope racing on the windier days will simply be cancelled.

I believe I've seen them adding and subtracting a couple knots depending on tide conditions. Today it's flooding so the wind limit I've seen posted last night was set at 22kt.
jpf18

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riptide wrote:

They will open up the course (...) after the last boat has rounded the last mark of the last race of the day.

Which would presumably be the windward mark sitting somewhere between Crissy launch and the bridge. Sounds familiar... Probably others came up with this as well, but that's what I proposed at one of the CG outreach events last year and punched in at the CG's request for comment web page. I am sure we'll never hear a confirmation... but I take it that the public's input is actually been taken into account!
rigatoni

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The potentially more difficult issue is access into the parking lot. Originally the AC Committee wanted to set up viewing stands down there but gave up after GGNRA pushed back hard.

So best I can tell there is no plan in place other than an intent to close the parking lot when it fills up. We had a really good arrangement during the festivities associated with the GG Bridge birthday that allowed access into that parking lot with a special permit. The AC45 series last year proved more problematic as both viewers and staff members used the lot as their own private parking lot for the paid stands near the yacht clubs. The organizers and the City have paid lip service to a Transit oriented transportation plan, but I have a hard time seeing people spending hundreds of dollars to sit in preferred seating by the St Francis YC taking the bus to watch the race.

I've been out of town but anyone want to report on the parking situation down there for the first few races.
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigatoni wrote:
The potentially more difficult issue is access into the parking lot.
I've been out of town but anyone want to report on the parking situation down there for the first few races.

I drove down there yesterday at 3:00, and checked the cam for any catamaran sailing beforehand (Oracle was still out around 2:00PM). From the cam the lot seemed busy, but not packed.
Considering that it was a sunny day with a lot of picnickers and the first actual day of racing (as in against-each-other-racing, not speed tuning...), I thought it was completely fine.
But my issue is with traffic and streets congestion getting TO the lot.
I quit driving in from the West since they closed the Presidio access under the ramp.
Yesterday it took a good 15min. to pass the stop at the yacht club turnoff, coming from East (was that always there?).
I imagine Marina Green Blvd. getting really busy in August.

Storage at Crissy (while not a solution for everybody) has been addressed here: http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=214161#214161

Live online reports would be nice, should the whole system break down and the area get inaccessible .
hardy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooohhh...we have valets in the parking lot now. I know this because they have pretty orange flags. Near as I can tell, if you do the exact opposite of what they WANT you to do, you can easily find a parking spot in the rigging area.

BTW, I think we should start an official Team New Zealand Fan club!!
jpf18

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Saturday, no problems Reply with quote

No problems Saturday. East Beach was "empty", for a relatively nice weekend afternoon. No work for the flaggers they've hired to direct traffic. Mobile fencing is positioned at the entrance to East Beach, waiting to be moved in place to shut entry in case things get busy, just like they do July 4.
There's also fencing near the exit reserved for GGNRA staff parking, like last year. Everybody's seen by now the unsightly port-a-potties. Add to this a bunch of dumpsters, sitting on the grass where we like to park and rig furthest away from the water, upwind. For sure they should be able to find better spots for these.
At any rate, things can stay just like this for all I'm concerned, quiet.

The park rangers are watching out. A team from Sportsnet didn't even get to stick their cam on a tripod down on the beach when a ranger was already walking up to check on their permit (which they didn't have). So they were sent packing. Reminder: Last year they checked the speed limit on Old Mason St.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: