myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Advice on new (used) rig
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thurston,

It doesn't sound like a good deal for 5 yr old gear. A lot depends on the market in your area and the condition of the gear, but from what I have seen, $1000 might be a fair deal if the stuff is in good shape. A great deal would be in the $750 range.
Thurston

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Thurston,

It doesn't sound like a good deal for 5 yr old gear. A lot depends on the market in your area and the condition of the gear, but from what I have seen, $1000 might be a fair deal if the stuff is in good shape. A great deal would be in the $750 range.

Well it is new (old stock) so the condition is mint. Thanks though, maybe if I go this route I can talk them down in price a bit. Do you know anything about the chinook sail and rig?
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't know anything about the sail and rig. Photos and or specifications would help someone else offer some advice.
Thurston

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the rig:

Made by Ezzy. Performance, durability, and light-weight built into one sail. Majority of X-ply material combined with Dacron is very light yet extremely durable. Endo-batten seam shaping helps to create a powerful sail that is tunable with screw-adjusting batten tensioners. Comes with Ezzy built sail, 2-piece epoxy mast, Competition boom, 1-Bolt Tendon mast base, alloy extension, and uphaul. Designed for demanding recreational sailors. 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.7, 5.5, 6.5, 7.5
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1500 for that board+rig package sounds like a great "no headaches" deal, especially if you can get it with the 6.5 or 7.5 version of the sail.

The GO 151 is a perfect first shortboard / early planing shortboard. It's not perfect for non-planing conditions because the relatively low volume and short length will reduce its glide and directional stability. But as long as you're less than 200 lbs you should be fine. The center fin won't hurt, either.

The Chinook sail is designed for easy rigging, easy handling, and easy power in non-planing winds. It should work to get you planing, but will probably get overpowered (unstable) sooner than a high-performance sail of equal size. I'd still go for it.

wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a pretty good deal to me! I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how much easier a wide,[85 cm.] board is to sail compared to your old longboard. They are so much more stable.

If you can get the board and rig with a 7.5 I'd go for it! Everything is new, just that the board dates fro '09. No big deal. The Go is a real good board. They have 2 versions of the go, one with a full eva foam deck, and one without. The one without is lighter, the one with, is more comfy, and you won't scrape yourself up if you fall on it.
Thurston

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was already sold, old listing I guess.

They do have a 2012 Go with the 6.5 rig for about $2100 with ship. That's getting out of my price range though.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a bummer.keep looking. Any luck with finding someone who can make a fitting so you can use your old Tyronsea in the meantime? I have an old longboard, an F2 Strato, and it gets me out on the water on those days when the wind is 5-15+ [ 5-10 is almost every day.] I think what is important is to get out there any way you can, as often as possible.

Old longboards are still fun for many of us!
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that. I think you should modify your old longboard and keep it. Schwandler mentionned earlier that you could probably use the Mistral plate.

You just need to disassemble the mast track, and slide the plate in the track instead of the current slider. It is very simple and will cost you 20$. You can then thread in place a modern Chinook mast foot, and adjust position the same way it's done on a shortboard. The same mastfoot will be used on your other future boards. That new board could be more focused on planing.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I suggested removing the existing car and its related component parts, I think that you can simply move it to its most forward position and then use the Mistral plate and a Chinook universal. You could be sailing around on that longboard less than a week from now. In parallel, you can continue looking for a good deal on some more modern gear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: