myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
slipping out of footstraps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgomez wrote:
My board is a funster 180 and my straps are inboard with my front foot facing the mast base...should i be twisting it forward?

This usually happens when im overpowered but it happens so fast its tough to figure out wats really happening but it feels like im being left behind.

This is confusing. If you are "being left behind" it sounds like you are unhooked and the sail/board is going away without you. If so that is what happens when you let go.

The funster is a beginner/transition board. So that brings up more questions. Is the centerboard up? Are you ob a plane or just going slow??
rgomez

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happens when im hooked in and in the harness with my centerboard up. I barely go for a cple of mins overpowered before sliding out.

It maybe has to do with my stance...in overpowered conditions i try to push the fin with my back leg so that i turn upwind...but it may be causing me to be hanging out sideways from the board rather than the super 7 pose.

I also shld mention that although im harnessed i still use quite a bit of arms when powered up.
johnl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you on a plane? That is when the board picks up speed so only part of the board is in the water. That is a big board to get planing. What size sail are you on? If you are in the Gorge area I would be glad to check it out cause I'm still not sure what you are doing (or not doing)...
rgomez

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@johnl - Yes, Im on a plane im using a 5.5 NP Xperience sail in about 20-25 knot winds...Unfortunately Im based in India and dont really have any experienced windsurfers around for help.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to figure out what you are experiencing and I may never experienced it myself.

The only thing that come close to what you describe for me is spinning-out. If it happens while pushing hard on the board, maybe in a gust, I get the feeling that the board qickly gets away from me. I imagine I could loose a strap, and I'm sure I lift the toes. When this happen, the board will start to slide with an angle, instead of going forward. It happens because the fin looses it's laminar flow, caused by weed or many other reasons.

One of these reasons can be what you describe earlier: pushing hard on the fin with your back leg to turn upwind. This is a great recipe for spin-out!

BTW, I am not an expert but I don't think pushing on the back leg is a valid way of initiating a turn. On the plane, you need to bank the board with both legs, like a snowboard. You can also help by bringing the sail back. (This might result in requiring you to put more weight on the back foot, but afterwards).

If this makes sense to you and may explain your situation, we can elaborate futher.
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder wrote:
I am trying to figure out what you are experiencing and I may never experienced it myself.

The only thing that come close to what you describe for me is spinning-out. If it happens while pushing hard on the board, maybe in a gust, I get the feeling that the board qickly gets away from me. I imagine I could loose a strap, and I'm sure I lift the toes. When this happen, the board will start to slide with an angle, instead of going forward. It happens because the fin looses it's laminar flow, caused by weed or many other reasons.

One of these reasons can be what you describe earlier: pushing hard on the fin with your back leg to turn upwind. This is a great recipe for spin-out!

BTW, I am not an expert but I don't think pushing on the back leg is a valid way of initiating a turn. On the plane, you need to bank the board with both legs, like a snowboard. You can also help by bringing the sail back. (This might result in requiring you to put more weight on the back foot, but afterwards).

If this makes sense to you and may explain your situation, we can elaborate futher.

Sailboarder this makes sense and would account for him falling out of the back of the straps. Also the fin on that board is made out of plastic so not really a quality fin Smile

Last edited by johnl on Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgomez wrote:
.Unfortunately Im based in India and dont really have any experienced windsurfers around for help.

If you can have someone shoot some video of you sailing, and put it on youtube, that would make it easier to sort out what's happening for you.

feuser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Ingebritsens advice one page back.

A high boom loads up the back leg much more than the front foot - that is fine for slalom racing where your back leg is loading up the fin and the front foot is at times weightless, but with inboard strap positions that geometry will cause exactly what you describe.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 most likely suspects, not enough tension on the down haul, or too high of a boom. if you are planing around on that board with that much wind, seek the outboard straps as well. then the boom height requirements will be different yet again. if the front leg is bent, raise it. if you are still getting pulled out of the straps, lower it.

while you are at it, perhaps it's time to shop for a sleeker board for those conditions? as an example. look on the exocet site in my signature. look at the cross 114. it, or something like it, may be what you are ready for?

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
rgomez

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys i will try your suggestions and probably shoot a video if it keeps happening.

I never considered that a high boom could cause this...and it probably is where the problem lies...My front foot does not feel 'loaded' at all while my back foot is heavily loaded.

I will try lowering the boom a bit...as I do have the tendency to put it fairly high and Ill also try to increase the downhaul.

Ill probably play around with outboard footstrap positions a bit later since Im still scared and adjusting going so fast with such heavy wind conditions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: