myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Real vs. virtual station for Lake Perris, Ca

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailoratheart

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Real vs. virtual station for Lake Perris, Ca Reply with quote

For those of you who surf Lake Perris, Ca, you undoubtedly know that there are no reliable wind measurements for us to go by. We either talk to folks who are already there and get updates, or we drive out there and either have a blast, or keep our rig, derigged. For some, this might not be an issue, however for those of us who drive quite a ways and who are quite literally obsessed with wind surfing, we need some kind of reliable wind measuring system.

I contacted WeatherFlow to ask about what it would take to have an actual station located very near Sail Cove at Lake Perris, and they told me, "We will put a station in if it makes financial sense.. ie... we think we will cover our costs through memberships." In fact, they were very specific, saying that they would need about 12 new members to support this new station.

Again, the current station is a VIRTUAL station and has never been anywhere close to accurate. The weather.com app for mobile devices is located in the city of Perris and while it does offer a somewhat more reliable reading, it is still not even close to what we could have if we had a station on or near Sail Cove.

Thank you fellow wind junkies, hope to get some support on this!
spennie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 new members? Do they mean new to iWindsurf? In that case, it doesn't make much sense to post on iWindsurf!

Are we supposed to go out & recruit new members? Everybody already is a member, that's the first thing you do when you learn to sail is join iWindsurf!

Do you want us to write to iWindsurf & ask for a sensor? Post an address to write to, I'm in!

P.S. Shaun, is that you?

norcom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather Underground has sensors as well.
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=moreno+valley

windalert utilizes some of their stations and offers them as free. Click on Station Select to see the stations close to the area. If you know someone that lives close to the lake, they can setup a wunderground station if they buy one and have internet.

This is the closest LIVE station I can see:

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KCAMOREN7

Check the flash widget on the top right, the wind is updated every few seconds. Not perfect but this gives you more stations in the area to watch.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a long time lake Perris windsurfer. Started in 1981. Iwindsurf use to have a sensor at the lake. They took it out stating phone line problems with the state park. When Santa Ana winds start to blow in Oct. It was ideal to have a sensor to catch it right.
sailoratheart

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Sensor at Perris Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! I will give you more details as they come in, but right now I can say that a good friend of mine is actually talking with weatherflow on my behalf. He has been in the sport far longer than myself and knows more people, and possibly even some of you who surf at Perris. Hopefully we can work something out before the Santa Ana season.

The sensor posted above is not really giving us the conditions at the lake, although it does give us the wind in Mo Val. Thanks for suggesting that!

Yes, I heard about that previous sensor which ran off a phone line at the Marina store. That is too bad that it is gone now.

I also wondered if the state would bother putting a sensor in that could then stream its data to the park website, seeing as sailing is part of the attraction of the state park.
lpeacock

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us posted, I would love wind info for lake perris. It would save me some gas money when it's bad!!!

Lp.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Santa Ann winds, don't go if its north. The hills block the wind. NE, ENE and E are best. You can use national weather service for March air base. The direction is all that matters. It can be east at 5mph at the base and 30 mph at the lake. I even seen it clam at the dam and 5.5 at the east end. Also clam at the east launch and very wind in the slot between the island and the shore.. Its a great place in the fall and winter. Crowds are gone. Clear air and sometimes windy. It can change in 5 min. Go from zero to nuking in a flash. Sometimes it blows early and quits. Sometimes it blows all day. Sometimes it stops at 11am and comes back a 3pm. I chased it for almost 30 years and when its good its really good. It can be very frustrating. Some of the best days I have had is when it windy everywhere with high winds in all the passes then it stops. Most of the time when its like that its to north for the lake. When it stops the wind has a chance of switching east and it shoots through Banning pass right over the lake. National weather service has a site in banning at the airport. Hope this helps...One more thing. The state closes the park some days in the winter mid week. Best to check before making the trip. It seems to blow best when the park is closed....Tony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: