myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Humongous formula gear in Florida
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Humongous formula gear in Florida Reply with quote

Southwest Florida seems to get a fairly predictable summer seabreeze. It blows about 10 mph from the SW from mid afternoon until around sunset.

10 mph is tough.

12 mph will get me planing with my 9.5 freeride sail and 87.5 cm wide formula board. But 10 mph is just a tease.

I know from past experience that it's possible to plane in 10 mph- it just takes a full-on formula board with an 11 - 12 m sail.

So... I reckon I'm in the market for some extra jumbo formula gear. If you or someone you know is trying to get rid of some used 11.0+ rigs, 100 cm wide boards, and 70 cm long fins, let me know.

Thanks. Cool

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you shopped antique dealers for drive-in movie screens? Very Happy

Failing that, how about SeaDoo?
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have for sale a 560 North Viper 100% carbon mast ($250)and an HPL 220-307 carbon boom ($300) which I will sell for a package price of $500 and I will throw in 3 sails: 12.0 Aerotech, 11.0 Aerotech, & 10.9 North Warp. Each of the sails has some duct tape repair. I'm willing to sell the mast separately (still including the sails), but I won't sell the boom without selling the mast. I also have a 70 cm Curtis Mongo (now called Lifter) deep Tuttle fin for sale for $100. The mast & boom are from about 2001-2002, the sails are about that age or older.

Unfortunately, James, my stuff is with me in Iowa. The earliest I might travel to FL is late next Feb so I'm guessing this will not help you.

I sold my formula board package last year with a 9.5 sail, 490 carbon mast & 195-260 carbon boom, & 70 cm fin. I enjoy my Kona One Design enough, even when not planing, to let go of my formula gear.
DriverA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey James, lots of formula gear in San Francisco, especially Mikes Lab boards. Graham is heading out there in August for college. He will be sailing out of the Berkeley Marinia. Maybe he could ask around if you are still looking. You could also place a wanted ad in the course board section of the classifieds.
gk3540

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered putting a summer freak or that type sail on your 11'8 Exocet if you still have it? Like an original windsurfer type sail...
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys.

Del- If I'm still in the market when "the season" comes I'll let you know. I actually have a Chinook carbon formula boom already, but I'd be buying a sail and a mast. (My 9.5 rigs on a 490, which isn't going to work for anything bigger than 9.5.)

DriverA- I'm super stoked for Graham going to SF!

Isobars- A drive-in movie screen is about the right size, but I'm looking for something with cambers.

danothemano

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: big sh*t Reply with quote

This guy is selling a Mauisails TR2 ( 2006 maybe?) 11.5 rig for his dad that can't sail any more. Looks mint. Dunno about shipping...

http://providence.craigslist.org/spo/3851405865.html

You sure aren't missing a lot of wind up here in NE. Sad
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gk- I still have the WindSUP and I really like it for SUP and light wind wavesailing. With a 9.5 it planes almost as early as my current formula board, so if necessary I could do without the formula board.

As a matter of convenience, though, I don't like having to change the fin size and footstrap positions to switch the WindSUP from SUP / wave mode to early planing freeride mode. Plus the formula has a bit of an edge in speed and upwind ability and it's half the weight of the WindSUP.

So it's easier to have a formula board ready to go for flat water early planing, and have the windsup ready to go for waves.

I can sail the WindSUP in non-planing conditions with a medium sized sail, but that gets kind of boring unless I'm with a buddy or something, and I'm almost always the only windsurfer wherever I go around here. I need to start teaching my friends from work while I wait for my fiance's horrible tendonitis / bursitis foot injury to heal so she can join me on the water again.

gorky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several homemade formula boards, an 11 meter north and a 12.5 NP, as well as fins, cheap if you want to drive to VEro Beach some time.

wsurdoc@aol.com
gorky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops
actual email is wsurfdoc@aol.com

Don Wagner
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: