myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Compare: early 2000's NP RAF Jet 6.2 vs Sailworks Retro 6.5
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

Sailworks 6.5. I own one, I ride one, I like Bruce, and Dale. I'm
not affiliated with Sailworks.

-Craig
IBaKiteboarder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would my Jet 6.2 compare to the Aerotech Phantom 6.8. The size sounds very different, but due to the boom lengths I am wondering *how* different...

Phantom 6.8
Luff: 461-465
Boom: 183-186

Jet 6.2
Luff: 456
Boom: 190

The boom length is shorter on this 6.8 than my 6.2, and the luff length is only a little bit longer. Hmmmm, will it have much more power at all?
nodak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Compare: early 2000's NP RAF Jet 6.2 vs Sailworks Retro 6.5 Reply with quote

SeaSpray wrote:

Also, what's the best mast for the Retro 6.5... RDM or SDM?

I have an '04 6.5 Retro and it rigs great with 460 Backbone RDM. My experience with Retros is that they don't work very well with SDM masts.

Backbones are no longer in production so Bruce at Sailworks has them "On Sale". Since I own 5.0, 6.0 and 6.5 Retros I bought both the 430 and the 460 Backbones. Bruce was even a good sport when I tried haggling over price. Check it out.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the feel you like.
I've had Retros in sizing from 5-7 meters thru the past 14 years.
To get a wavy, freestyle like feel, RDM for sure.
To get a solid slalom feel, use a SDM with high carbon content.
To get a solid freeride feel, SDM with moderate carbon content.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Compare: early 2000's NP RAF Jet 6.2 vs Sailworks Retro 6.5 Reply with quote

It is very hard to go wrong with any sail nowadays, but yes, definitely get a bigger sail than 6.2. From the 5.8 you can easily skip 1 meter and even go all the way to 7 and gain a lot of upper range with little compromise when over powered: nowadays any modern 6-7 batten free-ride sail has a large range.

Personal suggestions? having already said that you cannot really go wrong with any sail, I have been very happy with Hot Sails Maui. For flat water they have the end of production Liquid on sale http://www.hotsailsmauishop.com/liquid-4.aspx (very cheap), they are coming up with the GPX 6 battens later in summer, and I would actually give some serious thought to the twin cam GP2 6.6 http://www.hotsailsmaui.com/sail.php?uid=19. A couple of cams extend the range of sail a lot and make no difference for rotation/weight/water-start.

RDM vs SDM? Unless you are a 200 lbs plus pro level PBA slalom sailor (and even there, some are using RDM) there is no advantage to SDM. Go RDM.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some advantage of SDM in that they don't tend to sink in fresh water.
RDM's dont' break as easily
SDM has quicker reflex for slalom sailing.
Not important for freeride.
IBaKiteboarder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaSpray wrote:
How would my Jet 6.2 compare to the Aerotech Phantom 6.8. The size sounds very different, but due to the boom lengths I am wondering *how* different...

Phantom 6.8
Luff: 461-465
Boom: 183-186

Jet 6.2
Luff: 456
Boom: 190

The boom length is shorter on this 6.8 than my 6.2, and the luff length is only a little bit longer. Hmmmm, will it have much more power at all?

Do I need to start a new thread to get input on the Phantom 6.8 vs Jet 6.2? Evil or Very Mad Wink

Last edited by IBaKiteboarder on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I haven't tried either of those two sails, and that doesn't even address the specific sizes you're talking about. I'm thinking that I'm not alone in this.

It's been said that most production sails these days are pretty good, and that it's hard to go wrong as long as you match the right mast to the sail. You just might want to buy the brand that looks the best to you, or offers the best construction details and features. Lastly, you should think about picking a brand that you will stick with when you entertain the thought of buying other sail sizes. That way you'll find similarities in rigging and performance issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: