myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jibing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nodak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:

1. PAY THE MONEY and take a lesson from a reputable instructor. None in your area? Take a short vacation to a place where there is one...

O, can I please put my $0.02 in here?

Make sure your instructor doesn't take off 1/2 way through the lesson to check on his meth lab, ahem his renters, ahem do his new age thing, and leave you in the ocean for the rest of the lesson.

Yep, some skinny white dude at Naish in Kailua, HI. Okay, he said his name was "Kai". Come to think of it, the one thing I remember him teaching anything about windsurfing is how to thread the mast into the mast sleeve.
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nodak wrote:

Make sure your instructor doesn't take off 1/2 way through the lesson to check on his meth lab, ahem, his renters, and leave in the ocean for the rest of the lesson.

Yep, some skinny white dude at Naish in Kailua, HI. Okay, he said his name was "Kai". Come to think of it, the one thing I remember him teaching anything about windsurfing is how to thread the mast into the mast sleeve.

Kai??? As in Kai Lenny???? If so that is pretty funny. I would do a little research before I pluck down money on an unknown instructor. After all it is your money. The sad part is that many lessons that start out as a jibe lesson change into something else such as rigging, waterstart, stance, etc. You need a solid foundation before you build on it...
nodak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not Kai Lenny (http://naishsurfing.com/kai-lenny/).

My instructor was borderline middle age and worked at the shop in Kailua peddling used gear and giving crap lessons. Saw him last a year plus ago. Yes, he did try to teach me jibing.

I loved Shawn, but he gave up teaching; best first SUP lesson me and my now wife have ever had.

Naish in Kailua is nothing what the Naish website makes it out to be. It's more like a geriatric unit for old surfers without air conditioning.
westender

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some funny s**t.

I guess I'm screwed now.

You can't get good free lessons here and if you pay money they will take off with your board and leave you standing on the beach. That was my experience with my first HR lesson back in the day.

No,, really!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Get out there and take your lumps. Question Laughing Laughing
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nodak wrote:
No, not Kai Lenny (http://naishsurfing.com/kai-lenny/).

My instructor was borderline middle age and worked at the shop in Kailua peddling used gear and giving crap lessons. Saw him last a year plus ago. Yes, he did try to teach me jibing.

I loved Shawn, but he gave up teaching; best first SUP lesson me and my now wife have ever had.

Naish in Kailua is nothing what the Naish website makes it out to be. It's more like a geriatric unit for old surfers without air conditioning.

Don't be afraid to ask to speak with the instructor before you sign up. A good instructor should be willing to talk to you even if not being paid to do so. Teaching is a passion, you should be able to tell the difference from somebody who loves to teach vs. somebody who teaches to make money. Not that instructors don't like to be paid... Laughing
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:

Kai??? As in Kai Lenny????

You know how many haole's named Kai there are in Hawaii?
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
johnl wrote:

Kai??? As in Kai Lenny????

You know how many haole's named Kai there are in Hawaii?

Obviously not. Sad His is the only one I have heard. Then again it has been a few years since I have been there..
drysuit2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beaglebuddy, I said this in your thread about “giving up Jibing”
It’s not your fault…it’s ours. We genuinely WANT to HELP YOU. It is just next to impossible to do it in a written forum

Please; take a Clinic, or, a Lesson.

This is single most important way you can spend your money in windsurfing.

It is nearly impossible to try and diagnose problems via a post. And because we as a group, don’t understand this… Many of our posts just serve to brag about us; they do nothing to help you. Even though, most of us truly, and genuinely WANT to HELP YOU.

Take advantage of the many Clinics, Wind-Fests, Demo days, and Competitions with Clinics all over the place. Even if you have to travel to get to one.
Every time you sail with someone better than you, ask questions, try to sail behind them, ask them to sail behind you….

Windsurfing is always changing. That’s why it’s hard. And that’s why it’s great. Every new move or technique in Windsurfing, started as a mistake. Don’t be afraid to try new things, to learn new ways.
There is NO right way in windsurfing.
Always side with PP in a pissing contest. And the pissing contest threads are the most fun to read.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
While we all like to help lets get real. Trying to learn a jibe...

1. PAY THE MONEY and take a lesson from a reputable instructor. None in your area? Take a short vacation to a place where there is one...

2. Watch a LOT of professional jibing video's. Practice, then watch again. Repeat over and over. My personal favorite is The Power Jibe. This one cleaned up my jibes after a lot of professional classes.

3. Seek unprofessional online advice.

All exactly as I've advised for decades.

Regarding the short vacation idea ... Great choice now, but in the mid '80s I drove > 8,000 miles, flew to Maui, and offered blank checks with three zeros on them -- all just for WS lessons including jibing -- and found nothing of use for it. The game was just too young then. The two sources that got me over the hump and around the bend were Monte (R.I.P.) and Larned.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
just examples out in the water to copy

Sounds handy. I first heard of (planing) jibes in my third year, first saw one about 2-3 years later, and actually met someone who could do one at about the 6-year point. CA and the heartland are on different planets in so many ways.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 6 of 17

Jump to: