myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jibing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S.W.C. ....Many windsurfing regulars are now in their 60's. It's accepted nowadays that age, given health and fitness from always having been highly active, is no longer a barrier to doing things.

When you look back to old attitudes (even in parents, and especially grand parents times) of pomposity, and dignified rotund gentlemen slowly ambling along with walking sticks, while patronisingly patting little boys and girls on the head, we realise how thankful we should be at modern attitudes. Our generations are reaping the benefits, with full sporting lives.

(And hey, enough with this can't carve gybe stuff, That's fighting talk!! Laughing Laughing )
drysuit2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee fellas, I personally have found the advice in this thread to be amazingly helpful.
Short, sweet, to the point, and with the lack of any personal boastfulness or bravado.
bkiggins

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember, there are people in the world who have forgotten more about jibing than Iso ever knew.

Ponder that on the Columbia swell.
winfreak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Wyatt's tips Reply with quote

Fresh in, Wyatt's updated tips:

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:09 pm Post subject: 5 SIMPLE STEPS TO JIBING BY WYATT Clinic Stik Sat 7/6 Reply with quote
5 Simple tips to Jibing: The first freestyle trick......

Most instructors focus on what you should do. I like to focus on what most poor jibers don’t do.

#1 Front Foot Pressure: You should initiate your jibe by putting all the pressure you can muster into your front foot strap and not just onto the ball of your front food, you want to literally be trying to rip the front foot strap out of the board. Front foot pressure should be the constant throughout your jibe while back foot pressure should be used as a guide to tighten up the radius of the jibe at the end if need be.

#2 Crouch down and really bend at the knees, it is super easy to get lazy with this, if you stand up straight you will kill the front foot pressure. Also keep the sail sheeted in the whole time (no need to do crazy laydown oversheeting) but keep the sail sheeted in it will get lighter and less powerful the further you get down wind.

#3 Make sure it is in your mental checklist to slide your front hand all the way forward on the boom (towards the mast) just before you get ready to flip the sail. This will ensure the sail is able to flip cleanly, and not back towards the tail and the water.

#4 SWITCH YOUR FEET BEFORE FLIPPING THE SAIL!!! (The lighter the wind the later the flip). Take your front foot out of the strap and aim for stepping that heal on the big toe of your back foot (miss slightly). Make sure to cross the centerline of the board as you bring your old front foot back to the big toe of your back foot. Crossing the centerline with your old front foot causes you to weight the inside (turning) rail and keep the board turning in the right direction. Make sure your new front foot goes all the way up to the mast base to help distribute your weight.

#5 Actively Flip the Sail: This is the most frequently forgotten step. To ensure the sail flips quickly and efficiently when you want it to flip. And to make sure it lands in front of you after the flip (not behind you and down, that is bad), YOU MUST!: Actively flip the sail by sweeping your front hand from one shoulder in the direction of your other shoulder across your chest. (Practice this with a sail on the beach.)
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: On Purpose? Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
beaglebuddy,

What hath thou wroth?

Don't blame it on BB, even in jest. Our WINDSURFING thread was derailed weeks ago by the Puffin Man's latest lie, "any technique or move or choice you can't do, you denigrate".
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
I've seen video of you sailing. ....I had thought you were a better windsurfer than the video revealed you to be.

Two words: Gecko Loop. Any time I need a good laugh I just click on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLJ_rEzuO2U
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You poor man.

1. I will be attending more ABK clinics. There's so much to learn about windsurfing. I would think for someone who types about it as much as you, you would take some interest in learning.

2. You confused the jibe steps again in your last post.

3. Ah, the Gecko Loop! Of course you link to the video, and not the blog post that the video is taken from. The blog post that is entitled "The Silliest Freestyle Move of All Time? Who Cares, It's Fun!" The first line of which is "I know it looks stupid. But incredibly, it's a lot of fun!"

http://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/2007/11/the-silliest-fr.html

(I encourage anyone reading this to click on the link and check it out. In the scheme of goofball windsurfing stuff this is primo.)

Readers of my blog knows that the themes are self deprecation and humor in the face of windsurfing's challenges. Also learning. Things that elude you utterly.

You think I'm worried about people seeing me look silly? Here it is again: http://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/2007/11/the-silliest-fr.html

Silly is my stock in trade.

isobars wrote:
PeconicPuffin wrote:
I've seen video of you sailing. ....I had thought you were a better windsurfer than the video revealed you to be.

Two words: Gecko Loop. Any time I need a good laugh I just click on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLJ_rEzuO2U

6a00d8341c890753ef0133f1a5f52e970b-800wi.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.04 KB
 Viewed:  13483 Time(s)

6a00d8341c890753ef0133f1a5f52e970b-800wi.jpg

mogunn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey PP, I've enjoyed reading your blog (http://www.peconicpuffin.com) over the years. Your posts are not only informative but written with style and a good sense of humor. It's too bad so many of these iWindsurf threads are polluted by Iso's hate-filled language.
BTW, I saw the video of him. All I can say is Shocked

PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, Mo!
whitevan01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with coyote about the Peconic Puffin. Michael's posts are informative and funny. In fact, my morning routine in the summer is to eat a bowl of multigrain Puffin cereal (with blueberries) and read the latest Peconic Puffin post. Its even better when I am out in Peconia!!

I only get disappointed when there isn't a new post. oh well, I guess Michael can't do it every day.

Thanks again for sharing the stoke, Michael!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: