myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tips for towing broken down sailers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
... the tower gets in the waterstart position hooked in, and the two of them broad reach into the sunset, chatting to avoid boredom.

Came in handy for an effortless self-rescue Thursday after I blew out a knee 1500 meters offshore. Hooked in, laid disabled leg on the deck, and butt dragged well powered back to shore ... at which point the real fun began.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
isobars wrote:
... the tower gets in the waterstart position hooked in, and the two of them broad reach into the sunset, chatting to avoid boredom.

Came in handy for an effortless self-rescue Thursday after I blew out a knee 1500 meters offshore. Hooked in, laid disabled leg on the deck, and butt dragged well powered back to shore ... at which point the real fun began.

Season done?

isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MRI Monday may answer that question.
capetonian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks Isobars. I hope it does not end your season.
ochilton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear we have so many people who are prepared to help their fellow sailors. I have performed many rescues and received many myself. My favorite method is tower ties line to his harness hook. Townie spends a sensible amount of time making sure they have a low-drag package to lie on. They can hold the line or tie it to their UJ.
Owain.
windswell

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: How about a video?? Reply with quote

It would be great to see a video of rescue technique for towing another windsurfer. As most of the windsurfers in US are becoming old men, it would be great to see a simple video showing technique and post that video here and on YouTube. You'll save a life at some point, and help us old guys feel more comfortable going out there.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No video needed.
Just have the tow ee derig, lay atop the sail and mast (which is thru the front straps, boom towed behind the rear strap, mast base across the rear straps, have him hold onto your rear strap, waterstart in slogging position, STAY THERE, and slog all the way in directly across the wind.
If they're too lazy to derig and fold up the sail, have them toss the sail.
But I've towed bud Rick Voss in twice fully rigged, him atop his board and mast pointed out the back, at Crissy, for about halfway out back to Crissy launch.
westender

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an emergency where you need a fast and simple rescue. The person getting saved grabs both his and your rear footstraps. Never mind the rig, it will take care of itself. If there's a lot of wind you need to use a waterstart position with a foot against the mast base to prevent you from getting launched. You may also need to put your free leg under the board to avoid getting pulled over into a launch. Try not to hit the person on the head with your rig. You can catch swells on the way in doing this but it takes a strong grip for them to hang on.
If you have the time and less wind other techniques might work better.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
If there's a lot of wind you need to use a waterstart position with a foot against the mast base to prevent you from getting launched. You may also need to put your free leg under the board to avoid getting pulled over into a launch.

Isn't that what footstraps are for? I just put both feet in the straps, hook in, keep my butt in or near the water, and buttsail home. The towee is free to hang on to (almost) anything that works for him.
westender

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towing people is a skill that needs to be learned so everyone has a technique that works for them. On a windy day it's probably beyond the ability of the average sailor without some practice?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: