myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 229, 230, 231 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Coyote June 11 Reply with quote

Perfect day at Coyote with Starboard 81 and HSM 5.0. Little chop, some swell, blue sky, steady wind, going strong from 2:30, when I got out, well into the late afternoon.

Still working on adapting to the tri-fin. On one hand it gives a wonderfully controllable ride, drops into the vertical swell at Coyote are huge fun and the second the board is on some wave face it is just lovely. On the other it feels a bit lacking in speed, takes some more technique to get on a plane (keeping the board flat seems important), and if not very well powered jibe seems to take a bit more attention not to stall the board. It might just require a bit of change in technique: the 81 turns fantastic in single fin so I probably have just to flip the sail a bit earlier or turn a bit less to compensate for the slightly less glide of the tri-fin ...

I would like to try with smaller Drake sides (currently on 110) but cannot find them anywhere ...

Last edited by dvCali on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
gerritt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Multi Fin technique Reply with quote

I find generally - and this is general as all boards are different, that with multi-fin boards, you want to step back into the footstraps as soon as possible. Front foot first and then back. Don't press laterally with the back foot as much as you would with a single fin. Instead push forward and off the wind with that front foot to "skate" the board forward and onto (or continue) a plane. Then massage the back foot into the strap and as speed builds, then pressure slowly laterally and as speed builds begin to point back upwind. Newer boards are meant to be ridden with a more upright stance.

Hope that helps. You do lose a bit of speed with multi-fins, but they actually are able to achieve a plane at slower speed than a single fin. So, think about what that means and work with it.
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Coyote June 13 Reply with quote

Another great day at Coyote with Starboard 81 and HSM 4.3. Significantly stronger than two days ago, nice swell trains about boom high, blue sky, steady wind, going strong from 3:20, when I got out, to around 5 when I stopped because I am getting tired (it is a workout today!) and the swell is actually disappearing ...

Gerrit: I am getting used to the 3-fin. The Starboard FSW 81 really shines in today's conditions.You can enter a jibe powered up with 4.3 in big swell and really charge it. Point downwind, don't even think about slowing down. The board is so sure footed that it powers through without a hiccup. Really lovely. Not to mention the way the board cruises across and downwind the swell. I really liked the 81 at La Ventana, but in 3-fin configuration it is even more enjoyable! Can't wait to take it at TI in a good day Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Pleasure Point on 06-18-2018 Reply with quote

Another nice day at Pleasure Point yesterday. Launched my Angulo 10'-2" with my Ezzy Elite 6.1 at New Brighton State Beach and headed up the coast to check out how the south swell was performing at the various wave breaks. Generally it was performing very well. Caught a wave or two at many of the breaks. Also sailed by the boats in the Capitola Anchorage. Two fishing boats in. One from Kodiak, Alaska and one from Bellingham, Washington. Pretty fun cruise with a good waves at various points along the way.
[img][/img]

2018_06_018 Windsurfing Pleasure Point 00.png
 Description:
Garmin Path of New Brighton to Pleasure Point and Back
 Filesize:  883.93 KB
 Viewed:  12676 Time(s)

2018_06_018 Windsurfing Pleasure Point 00.png

2018_06_18 Windsurfing Pleasure Point 01 Cropped.png
 Description:
Nice Wall of Water at 2nd Peak
 Filesize:  918.74 KB

2018_06_18 Windsurfing Pleasure Point 01 Cropped.png

2018_06_18 Windsurfing Pleasure Point 06 Cropped.png
 Description:
Wave at 38th Avenue
 Filesize:  883.45 KB

2018_06_18 Windsurfing Pleasure Point 06 Cropped.png

2018_06_18 Windsurfing Pleasure Point 10 Cropped.png
 Description:
Catching a wave for a boost toward home.
 Filesize:  418.17 KB

2018_06_18 Windsurfing Pleasure Point 10 Cropped.png

boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windward....awesome pictures....I gotta ask...are the locals fine with you dropping in with your Big Rig?
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Coyote June 18 Reply with quote

Five days without windsurfing!!!!! Sad Sad Sad

But good day at Coyote, powered up with 81/5.0. The direction is very northerly, you take off to the east and come nicely close to the Bluff before the wind kicks in, and combined with the flood it makes for a a bit of conservative sailing spending a lot of time going upwind.

Or just go east! I am carrying the radio and after a while I keep going and going and going toward Alameda. The wind in the channel is stronger but the swell as usual more organized. After a good while I am thinking to be the only one so east until I see a sail even further out ... we cross and it is of course Devin who probably went for an espresso across the Bay and now is cruising back Shocked Shocked Shocked
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi boggsman1,

In answer to your query:
1: I am a local.
2: I have not taken a poll, but:
3: I sometimes am cheered on, and:
4: I am mostly sailing outside and around the end of the surfers,
5: I do not go into the area where they are if they are going for the wave,
6: I turn off the wave prior to getting to a surfer group if I am not making it around them,
7: I do not snake waves from the surfers,
8: I mostly am staying more than a mast length from any surfer.

W1
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
Hi boggsman1,

In answer to your query:
1: I am a local.
2: I have not taken a poll, but:
3: I sometimes am cheered on, and:
4: I am mostly sailing outside and around the end of the surfers,
5: I do not go into the area where they are if they are going for the wave,
6: I turn off the wave prior to getting to a surfer group if I am not making it around them,
7: I do not snake waves from the surfers,
8: I mostly am staying more than a mast length from any surfer.

W1

Thanks....Great stuff.
jmarik

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Coyote June 18 Reply with quote

Hi dvCali,

I launched from Coyote Point marina handful of times this season. The wind is stronger near the bluff and the water is deeper than the usual launch (i.e. no slog and no muddy walk at low tide). The channel is cca 1/2 mile closer and you end up couple hundred yards upwind from the yellow buoy at usual wind directions.
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Coyote June 18 Reply with quote

jmarik wrote:
Hi dvCali,

I launched from Coyote Point marina handful of times this season. The wind is stronger near the bluff and the water is deeper than the usual launch (i.e. no slog and no muddy walk at low tide). The channel is cca 1/2 mile closer and you end up couple hundred yards upwind from the yellow buoy at usual wind directions.

Ha! I did not know there is a launch there! my usual target are the outer buoys, where I think there is the best swell, but I'll consider it.. Isn't it a bit risky? With the regular launch you have a 300 yards or so of insurance, but at the marina if you miss it ...

On other news: nice day yesterday. Powered up 4.3 until 4:30 when it drops and I slog back nicely ... if you forget a hydrofoil kiter who very slowly passes me, proceeds to jibe, falls right on my path and than, completely oblivious of my presence, launches after his kite and pushes his foil straight on my path. I am in displacement and I actually brash against it, glad we are not doing 25 knots of speed. Shocked

It still amazes me how completely unaware of basic safety rules some kiters are. Later, while derigging, I watch with mild amusement an aspiring suicide kiter who sails back an forth from the boardsports launch. 2 yards from shore he seemingly enjoys jibing right in front of the windsurfing launch. One little mistake and he would splatter on the cement blocks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 229, 230, 231 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 230 of 329

Jump to: