myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bert

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Da Stick!! Reply with quote

Sailed the Stick from noon to 2 this Friday. 4.7 Force/95L Fanatic Freewave worked well. Used a 9.75 inch TrueAmes Enduro fin recently converted from tuttle to powerbox mode. Like it better than the trifin setup that the board came with. 3 freestylers showed up at 2..,I'm sure that more will arrive as the wind will be good all day. Saturday may even be a better day.
bert

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Coyote Point Reply with quote

Today was my best sailing day of the year thus far. Sailed from 1 to 4pm and had 3 sail changes (4.7 to 4.2 to 3.7) before I had it right. Wind was gusting to mid 30's out towards the channel. The wild conditions reminded me of footages from the Victory at Sea series that I watched as a kid during the 50's and the Richard Rogers music from the series going thru my mind ( yes,.I'm an old fart). My 80L Realwind gorge board was in its element and perfect for the conditions, so the sailing was easy and fun. There was some nice large rollers to ride on starboard tack a few miles out. Life is indeed good Smile
mch13

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: No holes at Coyote, only alotta wind and then more wind Reply with quote

What a way to start the 2014 season! Like Bert said, Coyote delivered. I know, I know, many have been sailing with good conditions for a couple of months. I have found time to follow online, but not been able to make time to get out.
There was no way I was going to miss today and I am glad I didn't.

I stayed mostly between the shore and the yellow buoy (usually I am a lot further out) on 90L 4.0 (185 lbs). I was astonished I made the right call on the first day out. It usually takes a while to get dialed in.

I am definitely still stoked on this sport, going on 34 years. OMG, that is a long time. I am happy to have another season start, for me.

Mark
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Bodega, Fri/Sat May 9/10 Reply with quote

Friday 5.7, experimented with over-downhaul when wind came up while I was rigging. Result, unstable sail, just as the North pamphlet said.

Saturday, people already out on 5.0 recommended 4.5, so I rigged 4.5 (smallest that I have). Very short session, gusts were erratic and strong and exceeded my capability to sail safely. At least waterstart was easy. Atypically, my starboard tack sailing sucked, but port was more comfortable.

Maybe 5 people sailed, plus a few kites from the other side.
SwellRipper

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: 3rd Fri /Sat Reply with quote

3rd Ave 5/9-5/10/14

Friday - ebb was good, but a lot of nice smooth medium-sized rollers developed during the flood.

Saturday - around peak ebb and 35 mph avg wind lots of giant steepish swell invaded the channel, crazy fun downwind rides on those. Later in ebb and early in flood, conditions deteriorated with a lot of chop or cross-chop. But still some occasional clean ones pulled through late. Saw a lot of cresting swell, and on far side of channel almost breaking swell.

Maybe some more good stuff today! Hi Mom!

dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Bodega, Sun. May 11 Reply with quote

Guessed 5.3. Good guess. Learned from yesterday's rigging error, and ended up with a stable sail. Fast, very fast by my standards. Ultra short period chop with this large board was nearly as amusing as sailing across a succession of concrete parking lot bumpers.

One other sailor out, and a kite or two.

Not a super long session, but very worthwhile.

Eel grass is beginning to appear at the surface, detached and floating. The beds can be seen and felt to be growing, but are still too sparse to be annoying to sail through.

Last edited by dsgrntlxmply on Mon May 12, 2014 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Stick Sun. May 11 Reply with quote

A sunny day at the stick, out at 2:50 powered up with the Firelight 5.0, to overpowered, to very overpowered, to ... time to go home because I slept 5 hours and I am tired. Fun day, doing nothing else but high speed jibes and "speed runs" because of the lack of sleep. Clicked 28.9 knots max on the RRD 85, that for the board, is quite fast Very Happy
bert

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Monday at the Stick Reply with quote

Mellow yellow day ( remember that 60's song by Donovan?) at the Stick. Wind came up at 3pm and the sail range was 4.5 ( freestyler extraordinaire) to a mid 6 meter slalom sail. The rest of us were on 5.0 to 5.5 meter sails. It was warm and pleasant and I was reminded of those days sailing in the Caribbean. There was about 7 of us sailing and enjoying the day. Afterwards I had to ask the freestyler (Sophien?) about his one move that impressed me most.. planing backwind, switch footed board flip to the opposite tack. He informed me that it's a relatively easy move once you practice it. After a pause, I told him that I think not, if your age qualifies you for Medicare benefits like me Sad
Goodwind

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never saw bert sailed this late of the day before and he is right. Mellow wind (5.3/100), warm air and flat water- what a day! Reminded me of those late spring-early summer sailing at Bird Island near Corpus Christi back in 87-88 when I was working down there. Effortless jibes and easy sailing after a 4.2 -3.5 week is just right for my sore muscles.
windoggi

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berkeley Monday... Groovy 6.5 afternoon session.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 42 of 329

Jump to: