myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Flying Tigers Reply with quote

Sailed this Sunday from Oyster to Tigers at bout 2 pm. Got a dozen and half 100 yard flat water speed runs at Tigers with a 5.0 Retro/110 L ... great for perfecting gybes, tacks, and freestyle stuff. Wind seemed to die at 3:30 so I decided to slog back in. You really need a somewhat floaty board to sail here on those marginal days because it might be tough getting back to the launch ramp at Oysters due to the offshore/fluky winds.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnChilds was the very first person to say from OysterPoint to FlyingTigers, and he said he pinched upwind until he was well inside the cove. This was 1983, around Oct. We'd been sailing Oyster since Sept., when GlenShot, ColinGift, John, and I started there in mid Sept.
We'd talked to TedMcKowan about the Stick, HIS spot, but it always seemed to gusty and holey.
bert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Oyster Point Reply with quote

Steve Watson (I think that was his name) was another sailor who sailed Oyster-Tigers often back in the day. I believe he was instrumental in having the windsurfer ramp built at Oyster back in the 90's. I heard he moved up to the Gorge bout a decade ago. Good sailor who used to drive a powder blue hot rod with his gear stowed inside...always impressed me.
victor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was it the guy with the vintage panel truck?

i launched there once. nice guy. he stuck around to make sure i made it back.
bert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Victor..it was a restored mid 1950ish Chevy panel truck. Another thing I remember about the guy was how well he jumped for an old dude. He must be in his mid 70's by now.
NickB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: alameda 3/25 Reply with quote

Alameda 5p-7p, found a few puffs earlier got the phantom 320 on a plane (w/ 7.0) for about 30 minutes, then some pleasant daggerboard between the harbor bay channel and balena bay harbor.
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berkeley this afternoon. On my 6.6 (I finally got it rigged right...it works now)
Nice and steady, zipping around with my pals. The view to the west was stunning...
Days like these are not trivial, not ordinary....they should be treasured like the gifts they are.

carl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bert wrote:
Yeah Victor..it was a restored mid 1950ish Chevy panel truck. Another thing I remember about the guy was how well he jumped for an old dude. He must be in his mid 70's by now.

Bert,
Steve is only a few years older than us. Great guy! He knew the harbormaster at Oyster and was instrumental in setting up that nice launch when they were putting in the rock seawall.
It was a 1949 Chevy Handyman panel wagon, ran great, older blue faded paint, set up for 2 boards inside. I was tempted to buy it, he sold it for only about $10k before he moved to the gorge.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GlenShot was No.3 HarborMaster at Oyster until he moved to Kaui in '89.
RockyWhite is still working there, possibly No.2 now, a former SanFrancisco big wave surfer who spent a couple months on Oahu's NorthShore in the winter of '77.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swung by Berkeley around noon.
12 guys slogging around mostly, a few gusts, Mitsu on his 82cm wide slalom and 5.4 zipping (relatively of course), maybe 11-23 mph, then the big W wind started to show... and stay for 20 minutes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 35 of 329

Jump to: