myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 281, 282, 283 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick February 17 Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
"Big" turn out! John, myself, then Robert and Kevin. Nice little breeze that makes every foil go. I am on 5.4, Robert on 7 or 78, Kevin on the Wing thingy, John on his home made new board and Ezzy that is probably somewhere between 5.5 and 6.5. Nice!

I have to leave early at 5:30. Looking at the 3 foil moving smoothly in the sunset light is really something. Can't believe we are all somewhat regularly sailing in January and February!

Bob is also there, but he does no take out his Wind-Sup. I think he is considering foiling? Join in Bob! If I can(not) do it you can(not) do it too!

yes, today was the biggest turnout of the decade!

Robert was on 7.8/177/F4 race foil. Jon 6.1/DIY board/Moses ~77cm, and I was on the Duotone Foil Wing 4m/Fanatic 6'11" x 142l/Slingshot Infinity 99 foil

First time for me riding the 4m wing... previously had been on the 5m. The 4m feels much smaller, especially w/ the smaller wing span. It's considerably easier to handle and flip over. It also has less power, but I'm learning some efficiency, and I was able to get going today. Despite the meter readings, the gusts did not feel like 20 today.... more like 17. It was not that windy, so I'm pretty stoked that I was able to fly. Ideally I would have been on the 5m wing... I was having to pump the wing and the foil quite often to coast through the lulls.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
bert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Stick February 17 Reply with quote

[quote="kevinkan"][quote="dvCali"]"Big" turn out!
/quote]

Really? Sound facetious to me. As for me, I'm plucking spring weeds in my garden, resting my 70 year old knees, and preparing for the mid March winds when I can hopefully do some old fashioned, kick ass 5.0 sailing on a 90L windsurf board Cool

Fanatic freewave 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.18 MB
 Viewed:  10419 Time(s)

Fanatic freewave 2.jpg

Goodwind

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proof - Biggest turnout of the decade at the stick Shocked

Photos include

1) Self proclaimed worst foiler of the Bay Davide on his foil.
2) John foiling on his home-made foil board. He must be stoked to be able to uphaul -first time ever baby!
3) Robert happily foiling all over the places.
4) Kevin foiling on his undersized wing.

IMG_8795__Davide.jpg
 Description:
Davide
 Filesize:  390.37 KB
 Viewed:  10417 Time(s)

IMG_8795__Davide.jpg

IMG_8827__John.jpg
 Description:
John
 Filesize:  395.29 KB

IMG_8827__John.jpg

IMG_8816__Robert.jpg
 Description:
Robert
 Filesize:  367.42 KB

IMG_8816__Robert.jpg

IMG_8814__Kevin.jpg
 Description:
Kevin
 Filesize:  401.87 KB

IMG_8814__Kevin.jpg

IMG_8807__Beach1.jpg
 Description:
beach
 Filesize:  503.22 KB

IMG_8807__Beach1.jpg

IMG_8805__Beach2.jpg
 Description:
beach
 Filesize:  547.61 KB

IMG_8805__Beach2.jpg

dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Stick Feb 18 Reply with quote

Goodwind wrote:
Proof - Biggest turnout of the decade at the stick Shocked

Photos include

1) Self proclaimed worst foiler of the Bay Davide on his foil.
2) John foiling on his home-made foil board. He must be stoked to be able to uphaul -first time ever baby!
3) Robert happily foiling all over the places.
4) Kevin foiling on his undersized wing.

And proud of it!

I am at Stick at 3 and it still easterly, but then the westerly comes in. It is always a great thing to watch. The wind coming in over a completely still body of water. Like somebody painting over the surface ... and it is stronger than yesterday. So I rig my Freek 4.8 and off I go. Not too bad, it is strong but somehow I am in sort of control. John arrives a bit later and is out again with the 6.1. We stop at 5:45 (getting dark with the Sun going behind the hills) but the wind is still going. Very Happy

Problem with foil is ... too much windsurfing! I need to MTB!
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Good you got gusts of 20 at Stick.
Berkeley only hit 15 max, but spent a lot of time at 5-9....enough to kill myself pumping barely up on foil and dropping off immediately.
I seem to need gusts of 13, then sustained 11 to barely stay up.

Hi Lee, I don't know where the sensor is at the Stick but apparently it has very little relationship with conditions on the water.

Partly it might be because the Stick gets always at least two wind directions. One is more Westerly close to shore, and the other more northerly close to the Freeway. If you go toward Brisbane Lagoon you actually get a third that close to shore turns very westerly. These are all wind "areas", different strengths separated by either dead zones, or weaker winds depending on conditions. Ideal to learn foiling Shocked

Anyway, we were far from seeing 20 mph (17.3 knots, force 5) anywhere!
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick February 17 Reply with quote

[quote="bert"][quote="kevinkan"]
dvCali wrote:
"Big" turn out!
/quote]

Really? Sound facetious to me. As for me, I'm plucking spring weeds in my garden, resting my 70 year old knees, and preparing for the mid March winds when I can hopefully do some old fashioned, kick ass 5.0 sailing on a 90L windsurf board Cool

keep in mind that the new decade is less than 7 weeks old

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
bert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: new Decade Reply with quote

Kevin,
You are right about the new decade. Maybe time to try something new as I've, (quite frankly), become bored with foiling after almost 3 seasons doing it. I'm seriously thinking about trying the wing this spring. Like yourself, Dimitry and others have really gotten into it and really love it.. Problem is that I don't know if my old bones are up to it Crying or Very sad
SPQR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin - when flying the wing thing are you on a windsurf foil board or a SUP foil board?
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:41 pm    Post subject: Stick Feb 19 Reply with quote

... and I am finally ... alone! where is everybody? Very very weak wind but it give me a chance to try the ACX 6.5 with the foil and working on pumping the thing.

It actually kind of works for a while, I am up ... even if there is really very very little wind, then the wind drops more (i.e. slogging), and then it comes back until I quit at 5:30. Not bad!

Tomorrow rest. Going to China Camp to MTB.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPQR wrote:
Kevin - when flying the wing thing are you on a windsurf foil board or a SUP foil board?

I'm using the 2020 Fanatic Sky SUP Foil 6'11" Windsurf Edition

instagram video of the board

https://www.sunsetsailboards.com/products/2020-fanatic-sky-sup-foil-windsurf-edition

It's a SUP Foil board with a full mast track and footstrap inserts, so you can use it for SUP Foiling, Wing Foiling, or Windsurf Foiling. With the track mounting system for foils, I suppose you could also put two US-Box fins in there and regular windsurf it or regular SUP it. I've only winged on this board so far. It's 142l, so plenty stable to get up to your feet, even when it's a little choppy. Definitely easier to learn in flat water, though.

I'm mostly using it with the Slingshot Infinity 99 front wing, 48 rear wing, short fuselage, B position, and long mast. Have also used it w/ the Infinity 84 in C on the long fuselage and standard rear wing.

The board works great, and I'm glad I have it for learning. I also have a Slingshot Outwit 5'10" x 100l that I hope to try out when I get a day that's a little windier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 281, 282, 283 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 282 of 329

Jump to: