myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 224, 225, 226 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like 3.7 conditions, with a beautiful smooth EBB by the North Tower, then Saturday at Crissy was all that!!!!
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
If you like 3.7 conditions, with a beautiful smooth EBB by the North Tower, then Saturday at Crissy was all that!!!!

Can't believe I missed it ... the way this is going might end up being the best day of the season at Crissy! Shocked
windward1

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Pleasure Point on 05-14-2018 Reply with quote

Fun day yesterday at Pleasure Point. Conditions: Excellent!
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

2018_05_14 Windsurfing Pleasure Point 02 Cropped.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1 MB
 Viewed:  10294 Time(s)

2018_05_14 Windsurfing Pleasure Point 02 Cropped.png

2018_05_14 Windsurfing Pleasure Point 05 Cropped.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.03 MB
 Viewed:  10294 Time(s)

2018_05_14 Windsurfing Pleasure Point 05 Cropped.png

loopy

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice lines!

but wow, the kelp bed looks pretty thick. from your gps tracks in previous posts, didn't you have to go through them? are you using weedfins?
windward1

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi loopy,
For the most part I am not going through the major kelp beds. I catch the swell just inside of the kelp bed edge. I do watch for the kelp as I ride the wave in. Helps to have a sunny day. Much easier to see them than when it is overcast. Fins are just the normal wave fins 2+1 setup on the Angulo Sail SUP.
I do have to transit the kelp beds at times such as when I sail in from afar or go outside to check out boats going by or the wildlife. There are places where it is less dense and one weaves their way through targeting crossing the least amount of strands and slowing and bulling the way through where necessary when there is no way around a thick head of kelp. Sometimes the kraken kelp grabs you with all of its tentacled arms and you have to fight your way out. Just part of the coast sailing challenges.
W1
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windward is my hero. That looks sick! What were you on?

Second the kelp issue - its an issue at the traditional spots up the coast too. Just another of the many variables involved in sailing waves. When I moved off single fins, I immediately found another unexpected advantage with the multi-fin boards and kelp. The leading side bites help in getting over kelp. They seem to bump the kelp down before it hits the trailing fin and then you don't get hung up quite as bad. Example below:

DSC_3932.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.68 KB
 Viewed:  10103 Time(s)

DSC_3932.JPG

windward1

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gerritt,
Angulo 10'-2" SailSUP and Ezzy Cheetah 7.0.
I plan on getting an Ezzy Elite 6.1 tomorrow. Hoping to keep the clew from getting caught in the wave face by using an actual wave sail. Does not happen much, but does happen.
Wiped out today and the rig and board sailed away from me. A windsurfer who was on the cliff watching said that it planed away from me. Sail up and board going away at good speed with no rider. I had to swim like crazy to catch and then got my practice in duck diving as the set seemed endless.
I am having so much fun.
Even hit 22.3 mph zipping down a wave face for a few hundred yards staying outside of the surfers all the way.
Life is good.
W1
windward1

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Natural Bridges 05-17-2018 Reply with quote

This is not a witness report as I did not sail at Natural Bridges today. The Pro Forecast indicated that the Long Marine Lab sensor indicated that it was getting windy. I did have a post session report from someone who did sail there and he said it was windy and was overpowered on the outside on a 4.7. He estimated the wind at mid-thirties.
Check the graph out. I think some one had a factor of 2 in there somewhere and corrected it mid-day. Now if anyone was there before the drop, please report.
[img][/img]

2018_05_17 Long Marine Lab Wind Graph.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  555.92 KB
 Viewed:  9948 Time(s)

2018_05_17 Long Marine Lab Wind Graph.png

dvCali

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Stick 25-30 knots Reply with quote

Coming from the south bay I stop at Coyote around 1 pm. After a good chat with Kipps about foil and seeing Bert having a nice go with is new LP foil I wait but at 2:30, after a short nap, it is still very south westerly and so I drive up to Stick where it is clearly picking up. I rig 4.3 and have a couple of runs in typical Stick conditions: zero to twenty from two directions. Then it kicks in. And kicks in. And kicks in. I soldier on marveling at the composure of the Starboard 81, but eventually after a couple of runs with the sail pretty much wide open (hei! you can surf that way!) I retreat ... with most everybody else (one exception is Vasco that is still out with 4.7!). People rigging down to 3.2 ... or giving up, like I do because I do not have my 3.7 with me Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Windy, the worst gusts may be approaching the 30 knots threshold, but with a nice cute swell. I wonder what it must be in the channel.
ctuna

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Regarding the Natural bridges sensor Reply with quote

Regarding the Natural bridges sensor

The thing was out for a few days so I reported it to Alex Pang at UCSC
CS college and i windsurf. Alex indicated there was some kind of change in the software at the server UCSC uses . He also said that he wasn't sure the units for speed where back in the correct metric he said it might have been meters/sec instead of miles per hour. I noted the 50 mph indicated yesterday and reported it to iwindsurf. (It was windy but it sure wasn't 50)Thanks for the help in getting it back up Alex.
Looks like somebody corrected it mid day yesterday.

Looks like San Luis will be going off for the next 3 days better on Saturday and Sunday . Note the iwindsurf sensor direction is still all screwed up for San Luis. Use the new iwindsurf map and zoom up real close on the site and you can see the 152 sensor which will give you the correct direction on the water. Be suspicious of south and east direction on the iwindsurf sensor.

sensordirection.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.03 MB
 Viewed:  9840 Time(s)

sensordirection.jpg

Last edited by ctuna on Fri May 18, 2018 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 224, 225, 226 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 225 of 329

Jump to: