myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 169, 170, 171 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerritt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three things:
1. KK and the guys in his crew are really really good;
2. The newer compact shapes really do plane off earlier;
3. The newer freestyle and wave sails have gotten very efficient.

Lately, I've bumped up the volume of my boards (all wave) and reduced my max sail size to 5.7, which I rarely use. I rigged it twice last year. I now hate to go above 5.0, which can be rigged with very little downhaul and made to generate a ton of grunt. It rigs on a 385, which helps with weight. So much easier on your body.

While not as old as Zirtab or Bert, I'll be 54 this summer. My joints pop too now and using smaller rigs really helps save the elbows and back.
bert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote:
"While not as old as Zirtab or Bert"
Hey gerritt..while true, your words stung a bit. Prefer to be called ageless or well seasoned Smile

bert
bert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Coyote on Saturday Reply with quote

6.6/110L at 2pm was fine for the first 20 minutes but quickly became a meter too big as the SFO wind bumped up to 20 mph. Lots of sailors and kiters on foil this Saturday. Should be similar conditions tomorrow.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: First day of the season after La Ventana Reply with quote

After 2 weeks at La Ventana with its logo high by 30 yard long swell (yes, it feels like sailing in small canyons) first day of my Bay Area season at ... way-flat-Stick.

Nicely powered with my Carbon Art 52 Slalom and the new ACX 5.8: the freerace sail from the PWA winning Point-7 loft http://www.point-7.com/gear/sails/zero17/ac-x/. After the first time out it looks like it is a great sail: zero cams, 7 battens, aggressive racing layout (bottom strap, cut out, very loose trailing edge, carbon tubular battens), and VERY light. Good bottom end (at my weight), feels very slippery when powered up and without even pushing it I hit 30 knots. It feels as stable as my cammed sails ... and the jibes ... well the jibes are as good as with a wave sail! Very Happy

Today a repeat, or maybe Crissy if the traffic looks ok ...
gerritt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bert wrote:
quote:
"While not as old as Zirtab or Bert"
Hey gerritt..while true, your words stung a bit. Prefer to be called ageless or well seasoned Smile

bert

Sorry to rub in salt - lets say well seasoned or inspiring. You, Zirtab, Joe Rey at Davenport Surfsail, Dr. Steve, are all my heros. You all give me hope that I can keep doing this for another 10-15 years at least.

Did the coast yesterday and I'm so sore! The mind was willing to go another 2 hours, but the body said you are done after 2. Gotta shed 5 pounds and stretch the muscles.
bert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Palo Alto on Sunday Reply with quote

Sailed the local pond to save on gas. 8.0 Retro and the Kona longboard for the 6-8 mph wind at Palo Alto. Put on my earbuds and listened to the music of my youth..Creedence, Jimi, The Doors (gerritt's right..I am old!). Nice lazy sailing out towards the Newark side of the Southbay and back. By the way, the dock has finally been repaired by the city.
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing new can compete with "the old guys" when it comes to music...
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Second day of the season Reply with quote

And Sunday is a Stick repeat, starts very light at 2:30 and I go out with the next size ACX, the 6.5, and the Isonic 111. Bit of a odd combo but it is the biggest sail I have right now. Make the story short the wind comes up little by little and by around 3:30 I am very powered up. Short trip back to get the Patrik 100 and back for a very exciting high-speed session. The freestylers are now out with 4.7 or so and the 6.5 is loaded.

The ACX kind of fixes the jibe problem with the Patrik (which is pretty bad, with a poor low end). Instant flip with respect to the cammed GPS and enough power and recovery to make it easier to keep the board planing and hide any technique problem on my part. Besides jibing the sail feels as stable and fast as the 5.8, although overpowered the leading edge did seem to reverse a bit ... maybe a touch more down haul ... or a Point-7 mast, right now the sail is rigged on the HSM Ultra.

Nice season start! With a bang Very Happy
rpaillon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Treasure Island Reply with quote

Does anyone have the skinny on T.I. for this season?
bert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Stick on Thursday Reply with quote

At the Stick from 1-3 pm. New 8.2 Avanti Condor(3 cams) and the JP Superllightwind for the 10 mph wind. Subplaning for over an hour but the wide board felt comfortable, glides well, and I worked on light wind skills. Started planing at 12-13 and power planing at 15. Kept the big board flat and low, hiked out against the footstraps and was sailing really fast in the flat Candlestick water..felt like the Speed Racer on the Mach Five. Left before 3 as the wind was picking up to avoid the commute traffic. Wanted to get in a day of sailing (my 10th session this year), before the weather change screws up the bay winds again. Hopefully we'll finally get good, strong, consistent winds this April.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 169, 170, 171 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 170 of 329

Jump to: