myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 167, 168, 169 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ankle eversion? dislocation? been there, done that.. it totally sucks

I think i like narrower boards b/c of my bad ankles.

how did you crash? that ice sailing thing looks like a lot of fun. we do a little bit of that on the beach here... one guy had a pretty bad collar bone break.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
beallmd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skiing leftover clumps of powder at Sugarbowl, first run! stick a ski, went forward, ankle stayed behind. most folks avoid heavy crud like that, smart.
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beallmd wrote:
skiing leftover clumps of powder at Sugarbowl, first run! stick a ski, went forward, ankle stayed behind. most folks avoid heavy crud like that, smart.

Sorry man, still a few months left of good snow! Heal fast.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankle injuries can be real bad.
I landed a jump in '07 and my foot folded under, so I could see the bottom of my foot while it was still in the footstrap, barely sailing after the landing. I couldn't move that foot at all, so sailed into the dock at Berkeley with the foot folded under inside the front strap.
Didn't have medical, probably would not have seen a doc since I could just walk on it and carry the gear back to the car.
Now, 10 year's later, I still cannot run at all, my jumps are halved in height, and I gimp around full time.
Get it healed, don't be like me.
beallmd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow zirtab, so sorry to hear that. My leg was not going the same direction as my foot so I knew it was unstable immediately. There are many possible injuries to the ankle and not all are seen on xray. I've learned a lot about ankles. First; they hurt a lot. Second; complicated set of joints and ligaments. Third; the ankle fracture-ligament injury is the most common lower body injury and are very common. Causes include Kiting, surfing, windsurfing, skiing, slip and fall on ice and on and on. Looks like a caterpillar with a big dick on my fibula. The long screw fixes the syndesmotic joint (what's called a high ankle sprain).

postop.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  111.51 KB
 Viewed:  13929 Time(s)

postop.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know how it feels.
I got two tib/fib breaks, so both legs are screwed with plates, pins, and wire.
One was a roadracing fall at old Cotati Raceway, the other a motocross fall at Carnigie Park. I just can't fracture a bone, I have to shatter it in 6 places each time.
At least all 4 of my collarbone breaks healed just fine, 3 with the bone set at odd angles sticking out in weird directions.
bert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Coyote Point Reply with quote

4.2/90L noontime sailing at Coyote this Saturday. 4 windsurfers and a couple of kiters on foil already on the water when I got there. Blowing 18 on the inside and 25 at the first buoy with decent chop. Kinda rusty and the winter blubber buildup surely raised my planing threshold, but the extra insulation helped keep me warm because the water was fricking cold!
rpaillon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Saturday at Tomales Reply with quote

The usual suspects were there, most riding on their smallest gear. I noted 3.3, 3.8, 3.5, 3.5 and 4.0 rigging down to 3.5. It wasn't the windiest I've seen there but enough for the first day of the season and not extremely gusty either. I've got my eye on Wednesday and Thursday.
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomales is a windy spot huh? is there a way to sail waves there? how big is the swell? have fun.
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The San Andreas fault runs right up the middle of Tomales Bay. So, if you hit it right, the swell could be memorable. Chopswell!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 167, 168, 169 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 168 of 329

Jump to: