myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 164, 165, 166 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see they've stopped from watering the lawn. It was lush and green the last time I was there.
gerritt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: 10/14/16 HMB Harbor Reply with quote

Well, I did the harbor probably the earliest in the (winter) season I ever have (that's 32 years for those counting). It had all the attributes of an early morning session at HMB:
-special harbor smell
-lite misty rain and wind, (water pooling in the outlet about to penetrate the harbor just as I was leaving - try stay away from the nasty runoff folks - get out early and ahead of the real rain)
- lots of obstacles and water hazards, with more bulb kelp than I've ever seen inside the harbor
- inquisitive harbor seals
-pelicans and gulls galore
- butter flat water
- gusty wind (not extreme this time - 5.0 and 96 liters fine for me at 160 lbs)
- de-rig and change in the now heavier rain
- work after sail - weird
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sat....
Larkspur a gusty 17-28mph.
Berkeley as gusty 14-30, 20 sailors out, at least 7 females.
Warm, didn't rain until 5, not so bad.
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.7 heaven today (sorry Mike, sorry Steve) head high sets out of the north but fading with the tide. Should be good again tomorrow, with hopefully an earlier wind to take advantage of a higher tide.
bert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Palo Alto on Saturday Reply with quote

Sailable 15 mph winds from the SE (180 degrees from the usual direction) at 1 pm on Saturday. 5.9/110L worked for over an hour before the gradual die off. Did 3 round trips to the Newark shore. Launched from the marshland area like in the old days before the dock was built.

20161029_135109-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.67 MB
 Viewed:  13486 Time(s)

20161029_135109-1.jpg

gerritt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Linda Mar - Surf Reply with quote

Well three of us had the same idea Saturday and used our arms to get rides. Pierre, Keven, and I all surfed in the crowded beginner conditions. Makes one appreciate our wings when they are taken away. Anyone do the harbor this morning? I just couldn't drag myself out of bed for the dawn patrol.
bert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Oyster on Sunday Reply with quote

Sporadic, up and down 15-20 mph SSW wind at Oyster on Sunday at 1 pm. 5.5/110L worked when there was wind but there was way too many lulls. Sailed a couple of miles out seeking steadier wind but instead encountered steady rain. All I thought about was getting zapped by lightning so I headed back to Oyster and tried to milk what wind there was for an hour. All in all a so-so session Sad
gerritt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: The coast Saturday, 11/5/16 Reply with quote

Got off the beach with a short swim. Did a few reaches assessing what the mast high north point waves were doing. Dropped into my first wave. Got two nice top turns. Kicked out in the channel and saw a series of walls coming at me, and thought, I’m fine they won’t break, I’m good. Bogged out, as a mast high wall broke right in front of me as I was pulling up the face. Fell, but hung on. Checked the next wave coming in and it was breaking too. Had time to sink the rig and was in the right position. Felt the wave yank the board real hard as it passed over top of me, then the rig felt too free under the water...
Popped up to find the board was gone. I was holding onto the rig with no board. The current pulled me in toward the main beach and then started sweeping me downwind toward the fish ladder. As I was swimming, I saw Maui John tracking my movements from the breach. Then saw my board closer in floating free. Maui John picked it off the beach. Eventually, I got spat up on the beach between the fish later and the rocks. Maui John helped me get the rig free of the beach break. Hanging onto a rolling/sinking rig is a bitch! Barely got a breath between waves.
For what it could have been, got off cheap. Only have to replace the mast base, which sheered at the holes where the two pins pop in. I think I’m going over to the Euro-pin. Lotta work for one wave. Overall, I feel very lucky. No injuries and no broken gear.
loopy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: coast Reply with quote

glad you got out okay gerritt. do you have pix of the sheared component?

here's a clip from carmen on that day's conditions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF5wDGK5PZw

bummed i missed out
gerritt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not gonna post photo of component. Carbon base with US two pin spring clip set up. When I checked, it had 570 days on it. So, I don't want to call anyone out.

On the other hand, I'm gonna start a new thread...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 164, 165, 166 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 165 of 329

Jump to: