myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 151, 152, 153 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beallmd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washoe is now about ankle deep. Believe it or not, the kiters are still going out there skimming across the mud! Amazing!
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berkeley Tuesday...
Started on 5.6 and 76 Quad, lots of carves, not enough power for jumping, easy to stay level with the 3rd dock, always planing...switched to 3s 86, better, more power now, but still boring, hit a big lull at 3:30 and came in.
Went back out at 6 with Formula 167 and Bash 6.2, hit the big gust of 23 and had to rethink the equation, but it lightened up to 14-20 for nice easy planing from well inside Lordships to Chevy's.
Want a shocker? Go from 76 liters to F167.
tstizzle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beallmd wrote:
Washoe is now about ankle deep. Believe it or not, the kiters are still going out there skimming across the mud! Amazing!

pics please!
veterduet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: east bay rules Reply with quote

Berkeley Wednesday, Marina Bay today. Both 5.7 with small jumps (all I'm good for} Alternating between the two locations requires good timing. Seldom that both are good on the same day.

Coast cleanup tomorrow morning, gathering at the circle in Marina Bay. Good food for lunch for a good deed. (Plus all you can scavenge. :}
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Stick Aug 20 Reply with quote

After a nice break at Mount Lassen back to the grind of daily windsurfing Shocked

Out of the Stick with an Isonic 111 and an old 2011 Loft O2 7.4. The size of the sail is humongous, it looks like a modern 8.0 with a 214 boom and 478 luff. But it works: it propels the Isonic 111 nicely while everybody else on large gear (7.5-7.8 ) is struggling. Power of a 155 pounds body mass!

The sail is a bit back handed, but hangs in there when the wind picks up. The Isonic does not seem to like it too much, it feels stuck in a low gear, should have carried the GPS to check the speed. But boy! it is easy in the turns compared to my smaller cammed sails!!!!! Time to get some modern free race RAF sails Very Happy Point-7 AC-X on the horizon.

Last edited by dvCali on Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be easy.
111 should hold an 8 meter sail easily.
One of the best slalom sailors here use a 7.8 on his 107 Isonic all the time, but might switch up to a 38 fin for that sail. His normal sail is a 7, on the same board, with a 36 fin, and nobody can stay with him. He's 155 lbs. also.
I also use mainly non cam sails on my boards. But cam's are great for low and high angles of sailing.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have come to Berkeley.
Went out at 6, after the winds died off, on a Magic118 and 5.8. After wallowing around for 2 runs, fully powered until 8.
My normal sail for Berkeley at 4PM is a 5.6 wave sail, and 86 liter board.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Should be easy.
111 should hold an 8 meter sail easily.
One of the best slalom sailors here use a 7.8 on his 107 Isonic all the time, but might switch up to a 38 fin for that sail. His normal sail is a 7, on the same board, with a 36 fin, and nobody can stay with him. He's 155 lbs. also.
I also use mainly non cam sails on my boards. But cam's are great for low and high angles of sailing.

Indeed, the Isonic 111 (2008) was rated up to 9.0. It has a BIG tail. I used it with a 8.0 GPS (three cams) and it is very happy with it, it is when it starts to feel small and agile (!). Talon 40 works ok with that sail but can use 42-44. The 107 is a bit smaller (not in volume) and 7.8 is probably its optimal sail size.

Cam vs RAF, I had both (spent most of the season of GPS 4 cams) but I doubt an AC-X will be any slower than my HSM GPS on any point of sail. I m pretty sure it will actually be faster in my hands for slalom racing, see: https://vimeo.com/158901837 where Matteo Iachino is beating everybody on the AC-X. Ok ... he is Matteo but I start to think that a cam will be faster only in places like Luderitz, i.e. massively overpowered, or competing at the highest PWA level.
sailtildark

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: washoe a no-go Reply with quote

I tried to kite Washoe a couple of weeks ago when I was up in Tahoe with the in-laws. Wind was real up a down. Made it out a few hundred yards to the calf deep water but it was a crunchy trip over the occasional rock. Luckily those twin tip boards are pretty indestructible. A truly shitty session - water was like chocolate pudding.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berkeley Sat. most went to Sherman.
Got there at 3:30, most out were heading in, complaining about shifty holey, gusty winds.
Went out at 4, 5.6 and 98 HiFly Free.
Nice long runs, slightly underpowered, planing 90%, but I really hate single rear straps on thick boards. Sailed 1.5 hours, complained to myself the whole time about the single rear strap setup.
Yes, it was shifty, holey, gusty, but that's the best condition to show off my sailing skills of 34 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 151, 152, 153 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 152 of 329

Jump to: