myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 136, 137, 138 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Stick June 19 Reply with quote

Great day at the Stick. Windy! with sail sizes 4.0 to 6.3 going around. Finally doing some decent speed with the CA 52 and 5.5 Hot sail GPS hit 29.77 knots max speed and 29.1 for 10". Not bad in the Stick high frequency chop, especially because one of the tuttle screws was loose and the fin out 1" in the back Shocked

Time to brake the 30 knots barrier! Have not done it yet this year!
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 cm more fin than normal, faster in lulls, and get's up upwind again quicker...slightly wider board, set up to run totally free of chop, max powered, beam to broad depending on chop and windstrength for your sail.
Some people talk about max downhaul and flatter sails, but the fastest speed trials guy in Marin ran small sails, no downhaul, and very baggy.
I guess you know my bud JRobb.
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
2 cm more fin than normal, faster in lulls, and get's up upwind again quicker...slightly wider board, set up to run totally free of chop, max powered, beam to broad depending on chop and windstrength for your sail.
Some people talk about max downhaul and flatter sails, but the fastest speed trials guy in Marin ran small sails, no downhaul, and very baggy.
I guess you know my bud JRobb.

I suspect mostly is state of the water ... it does get very choppy at Stick. Few years ago I did 36 knots 2" at the Stick, kind of a fluke because the 10" was 3 knots lower, but it was on glassy water ...

Fin: I am not sure going bigger is a good idea. Just got a Tectonic Phoenix 33 and it is working great with the Patrik + 6.6. Incredible control especially downwind and yesterday speed went up to 29 a gain of almost 2 knots with respect to Talon 34 and 36.

Width at these slow speeds seems not that important. Patrik (64.5 width), Isonic 111 (68.5 and 50 tail!) and CA 52 (52) are within a knot or so.

Baggy sail: something to experiment on. I am using Hot Sails GPS (3 to 4 cams) and I might be overdoing the down haul. The 6.6. does pull like a tractor with low down haul.

Fun anyway, as I cannot do much but speed this year!!!!! Very Happy
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember when Mike Percy won the Crissy Speed Trials around 4 year's ago?
Flood tide smooth water, 7.6 Hansen Race, 36 cm Gold Wing that would hum loudly at around 26 mph, yet he won it with something like a 37 mph speed.
He said his fin was humming way before he hit top speed, and only hummed a little bit higher pitch as he entered the timing traps. He thought he was sub 32 mph, went for another run immediately, went 36 something, and actually went for another run, thinking he wasn't going fast at all, yet he won it on the final two runs which he thought were slow due to a big sail and a big fin for his 8'10" Slab Blue label.
Fin drag is a lot lower than board bottom drag, so your board has to run free first and foremost, without the bottom at the mast track ever touching the water once up to speed.
We're talking about hand foiled Tectonics fins here, and even the slowest is pretty fast.
ctuna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Candlestick 6/20/2016 4.7 Reply with quote

Candlestick 6/20/2016 4.7 very powered to over powered
from 3 to 5:30 and I weigh 220.
Some people on 4.2 s saying they wanted there 3.7's
Candle stick 5/18/2016 very powered on 5.3 all afternoon.
Bob had to go back home today(6/20/2016) to get his small gear but he only lives 13 miles away.
Not exactly weak upper teens.

Last edited by ctuna on Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be solid for all the next two weeks. Forecast for Stockton is high 100f, Low 60f. That 40 degree temp fluctuation means wind will be cranking through the gaps. LOL.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really cranking at Crissy yesterday afternoon to nicely coincide with the ebb. A little light inside Anita but the wind went from 6.0 to 4.5 in the span of about 50ft just as you shlogged past Anita. Sailed a couple of hours late afternoon on a 4.5/85L board (I'm about 190lbs) pretty lit up. Mid span was easily 4.0 conditions. Hoping the forecast for the week holds up. It's been a tough season so far.
bert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Tuesday at Palo Alto Reply with quote

WTF!..wanted to sail at my spots above the Peninsula the last 2 days but the traffic congestion above Palo Alto had me turn around and forced me to sail the local pond at PA. Getting very frustrated with the traffic nightmare on 101 and I sail during the supposedly non commute hours (noon to 3). Fortunately I have the gear for light wind conditions. Today I rigged 6.6 on the Bic Techno with a never used 58 cm Curtis stiletto carbon fin. Slogged at 12, planed at 14 and really hauled ass at 16. Fin may have been a bit big for the 6.6 but I wanted to see what it could do, and it's awesome (plus I got it for free with the Techno). May head out before noon tomorrow or take 280 to avoid the commute.
kirk2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Tuesday at Palo Alto Reply with quote

bert wrote:
WTF!..wanted to sail at my spots above the Peninsula the last 2 days but the traffic congestion above Palo Alto had me turn around and forced me to sail the local pond at PA. Getting very frustrated with the traffic nightmare on 101 and I sail during the supposedly non commute hours (noon to 3).

Hi Bert,

I use Google's traffic map and take 280 when 101 is jammed in either direction. Monday and Tuesday were great at Coyote - I sailed my 5.6 Hucker and middle board from 2:45 to 4PM both days.

Getting out of Coyote by 4:30 was an easy drive home since I get off HWY 280 at Page Mill where it was just starting to back up. Often at that time HWY 101 is faster, if lucky and summer and a holiday week and no concerts at Shoreline or Levi's.... yadda yadda.

What was traffic like trying to get OUT of PA? I used to leave there almost any time and take the frontage road down to San Antonio Rd but now the backup on 101N has that intersection gridlocked and it can take longer to get out of there than driving home from Coyote. When you add the time required to haul gear back and forth to the dock plus the new construction of the dock designed to sandpaper our gear, I hardly sail PA any more...

What we Bay Area natives need is another earth quake to make it too scary for people to move here again...

BTW, I often post wind reports after sailing on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KirkLindstrom

Newsletter http://kirklindstrom.com/
rigatoni

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.5-4.0 conditions at Crissy yesterday. It's been a nukefest all week. Come and get it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 136, 137, 138 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 137 of 329

Jump to: